• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Throwing this out there as I'm looking to get some practice arms, are there any shops in Maryland or lower PA that sell swords and spears with a physical location? I want to check the heft and style of the weapon personally before I buy one for myself.

I prefer strongly European designed weaponry and want to shop accordingly. So, anyone got some leads?

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Edgeworks in Frederick had Swords last time I was there. I couldn't speak to specific models though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A1 has like 8-10 swords. I don’t know what the deal is or what your looking for. I think they resemble old Calvary swords. Stan would know better. They are all in sheaths in a barrel when you walk into the shop.

Might want to call Greg as i e never touched them so I’m sure my description is inaccurate but they are there.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'm looking for stylisms from the 12th to 16th centuries, and reproduced at that. Not a fan of sabers at all. More like short and long swords with short to medium 8-12' max length Spears.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I'm looking for stylisms from the 12th to 16th centuries, and reproduced at that. Not a fan of sabers at all. More like short and long swords with short to medium 8-12' max length Spears.
    Rennfaire would be a good bet for spears.

Be careful with swords. A lot of the reproductions (and fantasy stuff) are primarily for costume use. Even if the are advertised as 'real', they are likely to bend, break and fly apart if you actually hit something hard.

For a good 'real' short sword, I would look at a bayonet for a Swiss m1914 pioneer. Good balance and heft. Plus a saw back one just looks mean.

Oops. Almost forgot. It will make you want you buy the matching rifle or a k31.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would go renn faire, but a decent sword isnt free.

*****Not only is it not free, it isn't cheap either. The nicer blades run well into the 4 figures, but they are made for use versus just the usual showpiece. If you have the $$$, you can get pretty much whatever you are looking for, whatever historical period, etc..

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Well aware the best ones run into four figures. I figured for between 500-800 for a good sword would be reasonable. As for a spear, far less. Probably 200-400, tops, as it's just a metal spearhead on a pole. Will definitely look at Renn Faire then.

Jkratz

Dec 22, 2016
    Jarrettsville MD
    Try -

Baltimore Knife and Sword Company- they guys out there are top notch, they have done some nice stuff for me and my friends-they are local so u can always “visit” the shop
    http://www.baltimoreknife.com/

Badger Blades at md renn fair- they don’t look the prettiest but they can really take a beating. They are work horses..
    http://www.badgerblades.com/index.php

Black sword armory at md renn fair - coustume only and at renn fair prices, but the owners a decent guy- no good website for that one

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    For most cost effective, go Cold Steel. If you want to spend a little more I second the Renn Fest, several nice sword makers and edged weapon dealers there.
    While not very traditional looking, Badger Blades makes some of the strongest swords ever, basically if you ever wanted to chop a car in half then get one of their swords.
    Also every couple months they have the Nation's Gun Show at Dulles Expo in Chantilly. Always seems to be a few dealers of swords there. Some are cheap and useless and others are pretty good quality.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I did the same thing over the many years I was living in MD. I acquired a Viking reproduction sword that I still use for whacking down bushes and things on the farm in WV now. I don't remember who made it, unfortunately. Also the pictures I have available for it are too busy color wise to fit into this site's 500 KB limit for Jpegs. Bastard hand and a half hilt, brass pinned wood grip with heavy brass short cross-guard and pommel. Blade is a stainless steel of unknown formula with a flat but wide spine, rounded tip, holds a very good edge on both edges (never had to re-sharpen it) about 35" long. Came with a wooden sheath, brass pinned that has brass rings for a belt mount.
    Also had a long spear I made during my Wu Shu Kung-Fu days. It was a tapered point SS steel blade about 10 inches long and 3 wide at the base that unscrewed from the pole mount. I used a shortened flag pole cut to about 7.5' plus the blade. I kept the pole's metal base cap to counterbalance the blade. Still have that also in a storage locker. I put tassles on it for MA exhibitions but left them off otherwise. Much heavier than the LW crap a lot of guys in MA use for weapon demonstrations. I could still do all the Chinese drills with it plus ones I made up myself specifically for it.
    I was a Jomviking character in Dagorhir in its beginning decade, although my preferred weapon was the Dane or beaded axe. We of course used heaviliy padded weapons that allowed full power blows without injury so armor was not required. I hand made a suit of period ring-mail (rings sown or riveted onto a leather jerkin) which should not be confused with chain-mail.

Wayne

Shrimper
    Oct 8, 2010
    Ala Freaking Bama
    The gf has really gotten into Forged in Fire. Like many, she's really hard to buy gifts for, but she was intrigued by the rapiers and cutlasses.

Just ordered a Jolly Roger cutlass from B'more Knives for the gf for Christmas. John was great to work with over email. I'll post pictures when it comes in.

Now if I could afford to get Richard Rawlings to do a pirate themed '68 Cutlass...:innocent0

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The gf has really gotten into Forged in Fire. Like many, she's really hard to buy gifts for, but she was intrigued by the rapiers and cutlasses.

Just ordered a Jolly Roger cutlass from B'more Knives for the gf for Christmas. John was great to work with over email. I'll post pictures when it comes in.

Now if I could afford to get Richard Rawlings to do a pirate themed '68 Cutlass...:innocent0

Forged In Fire is one of our favorites, too. Really gives you an appreciation for how much goes into it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you will tolerate used, I'd try myArmoury.com and Sword Forum International classifieds. As others have noted, a serious sword will set you back around $1K...if you don't go insane on ornamentation. But there are swordmakers out there who really know their stuff. I personally like Arms & Armor, and Armour Class for Scottish stuff.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Try -

Baltimore Knife and Sword Company- they guys out there are top notch, they have done some nice stuff for me and my friends-they are local so u can always “visit” the shop
    http://www.baltimoreknife.com/

Badger Blades at md renn fair- they don’t look the prettiest but they can really take a beating. They are work horses..
    http://www.badgerblades.com/index.php

Black sword armory at md renn fair - coustume only and at renn fair prices, but the owners a decent guy- no good website for that one

I'll second both of them, good stuff for affordable prices, but make sure you tell them you want a functional piece, and ask about servicing it, even good makes with good materials come in various grades. Safety is paramount, really easy to get horrific injuries quick if you start with a live blade, or try cutting exercises with a crap stainless sword. ALWAYS start with a trainer, a wooden blade still hurts(but won't send you to the emergency room), and is the only safe way to learn basic movements and presentations. Even for displaying sequences and forms, you are best off with an unsharpened practice sword if you want something flashier than wood. I spent a relatively tiny ammount of time with a live blade doing Tamishigiri compared to months of practice in an expensive class, complete with the proper guards and instruction, and it still made me nervous how easy it is to cut yourself. Of course swords are cool, and by all means, get a nice one and display it proudly, but if you really want to learn to use it, you are better off being humbled than injured.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Might be a hike, but certainly worth checking out.

Ye ole cutlery and gift shop. They have a huge selection of all the top brands. This shop is one of the few places in MD where you can go handle a $2000 pocket knife or a $30 kershaw. Great prices that beat some online vendors.

5015 St. Leonard Rd St. Leonard, MD 20685
    Call us now:
    410-326-0641
    sales@mdggifts.com
    https://www.mdggifts.com/

Wayne

Shrimper
    Oct 8, 2010
    Ala Freaking Bama
    Just heard from John at B'More Knife. The sword is finished!

cutlass1.jpg
    cutlass2.jpg

Since it's a surprise for Christmas, I'm having it shipped to a neighbor. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom