• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    How about we petition the MSP to authorize dealers to release after 7 days? It's my understanding that MSP specifically asked them not to at the beginning of all this. If they green lit the FFLs, it would be easier for everyone.

Anyone? And please, I don't need the "leave MSP alone they're busy" crap. I'm not talking about calling every day to see where my app is, I'm talking about putting them on the spot to clear up this mess.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Here's what I don't get. Since probably mid January after all of the in-stock supplies let up, wouldn't applications have started to slow just simply because there were so much fewer guns to sell? I know all the shops and counters are bare, so why are wait times still increasing?

Seriously, anyone have an answer for this? Maybe applications are still increasing, but I don't see how unless they're private sales thru FFL

localbuyer

Jun 12, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Here's what I don't get. Since probably mid January after all of the in-stock supplies let up, wouldn't applications have started to slow just simply because there were so much fewer guns to sell? I know all the shops and counters are bare, so why are wait times still increasing?

Seriously, anyone have an answer for this? Maybe applications are still increasing, but I don't see how unless they're private sales thru FFL

I had the same thought before until last week. I saw most gun shops are getting a lot of new guns and sold most of them before they can be put on shelves. The shops might sold more guns compare to early this year.

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013
    I'm waiting on paperwork for 2 guns myself. This is the sort of thing that draws attention to our cause a 7 day wait now takes 100 days and the state wants to add more steps to a process they currently cannot handle.

The politicians are obviously already aware and those politicians that want to deny firearms altogether are gleeful about it to be sure. The folks with a stockpile from January running each submission through back to back are in denial. The average person brought into this mess now will see that the hoarders and grabbers have one thing in common: both could care less if the average single purchaser gets a handgun.

Trouble is, the hoarder needs new gun owners to help fight this law. The grabbers just laugh at what is going on because a broken system is the next best thing to a system completely shut down.

When a potential gun buyer and new NRA member hears from the FFL that the FFL has a bunch of people with multiple purchases stacked up - and when the potential buyer hears that he/she will wait 100 days, the potential buyer is not going to blame the MSP. They will blame the hoarders.

I think it is just that simple.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The politicians are obviously already aware and those politicians that want to deny firearms altogether are gleeful about it to be sure. The folks with a stockpile from January running each submission through back to back are in denial. The average person brought into this mess now will see that the hoarders and grabbers have one thing in common: both could care less if the average single purchaser gets a handgun.

Trouble is, the hoarder needs new gun owners to help fight this law. The grabbers just laugh at what is going on because a broken system is the next best thing to a system completely shut down.

When a potential gun buyer and new NRA member hears from the FFL that the FFL has a bunch of people with multiple purchases stacked up - and when the potential buyer hears that he/she will wait 100 days, the potential buyer is not going to blame the MSP. They will blame the hoarders.

I think it is just that simple.
    I have to say that your posts are getting annoying. Curious - where do I fall on your scale? I have never purchased a firearm and will be completing my first purchase through the Engage Gen Deux lower sale when they arrive; that purchase will be three lowers at the same time. Guess this makes me a hoarder?

I don't blame the "hoarders", or any other purchasers, at all; the simple fact of the matter is that anyone not legally prohibited from owing a firearm has a right to start the purchase process - implying that those who already have firearm should STFU and not purchase a desired firearm so that single item purchasers can get ahead of them in the massively delayed stack is hogwash, IMO. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of our government (executive and legislative branches) and should be addressed appropriately. We have a right to petition our government for redress of grievances, that includes telling the regulatory arm (MSP/Governor's office) that their policies/procedures are denying our rights, as well as informing the statutory arm (MDGA) that the law, as written, is (1) not being followed, (2) antiquated, (3) ineffective at achieving the currently stated goals, and (4) infringes on a protected civil right.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

I think the answer is that people are going to GunBroker.com and other internet sales sites to get what they want in this market. People who've never bought stripped lowers are running transfers thru MD FFLs like never before. Four stripped lowers is the same paperwork as four handguns, just a smaller box in the mail. Until the uncertainty settles down it looks like it will continue--maybe not 100 days, but staying steady at 40 days...

MarylandDave

Nov 24, 2010
    PRM / HoCo
    I have to say that your posts are getting annoying. Curious - where do I fall on your scale? I have never purchased a firearm and will be completing my first purchase through the Engage Gen Deux lower sale when they arrive; that purchase will be three lowers at the same time. Guess this makes me a hoarder?

I don't blame the "hoarders", or any other purchasers, at all; the simple fact of the matter is that anyone not legally prohibited from owing a firearm has a right to start the purchase process - implying that those who already have firearm should STFU and not purchase a desired firearm so that single item purchasers can get ahead of them in the massively delayed stack is hogwash, IMO. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of our government (executive and legislative branches) and should be addressed appropriately. We have a right to petition our government for redress of grievances, that includes telling the regulatory arm (MSP/Governor's office) that their policies/procedures are denying our rights, as well as informing the statutory arm (MDGA) that the law, as written, is (1) not being followed, (2) antiquated, (3) ineffective at achieving the currently stated goals, and (4) infringes on a protected civil right.

This x1000. This guy's like a broken record. I have several guns, and have chosen to pick up a few more to avoid all of the BS IF these laws pass. If someone has waited until now to purchase their first gun, then that's their problem. As the saying goes...Their lack of preparation does not constitute an emergency on my end. They can get in line.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    who's profit margin? the state? they dont have enough sense to break even must less turn a profit. and they want us to do and pay more? if this is a prview of that we are truely screwed.

It was a joke, sort of, aimed at the whole thing of O'Malley wanting the licensing fees to make a profit for the state.

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    All you guys saying the guns are dried up are wrong. Gander mountain has a case full of semi auto pistols and my FFL has had AKs in stock for months, he has even had a few ARs over the last couple weeks. Granted, the prices are a little high, but not astronomical, and I'm sure its cause the distributors have raised prices.

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    If the State of DISASTER and INFRINGEMENT cannot get the job done then it is high time they turn the background checks over to NICS.

Clearly the state is not capable of compiling with their own laws. Background checks, shell casings and other hurdles have and continue to infringe on the rights of gun owners.

It is so bad some will not ship firearms into the state even though the weapon is not prohibited. One major dealer will not even ship M1 Carbine mags into the state.

If these proposed bills pass, there will be chaos in Md when people have to wait months just to get a license and obtain the state training.

Maryland is nothing but a sad joke!

The sad thing about this whole mess is that there some gun owners on this forum that tear into fellow gun owners when the GD blame is not a new person or any other purchaser trying to obtain a firearm in the face of draconian laws, lack of funding etc. No wonder the anti gun people are gaining ground. Some of you fight each other when you should be fighting the anti gun grabbers.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I don't think the 'fear buying' has peaked yet. The MSP backlog is just going to cause a continuous rush as the repeat buyers go for their next purchase. The SHTF happened early January, thos guns are being released now. 2nd wave of the gun rush is upon us.

Meanwhile the first time guys like me are buying no because the new laws will make it more of a PITA. Personally I want 2 more pistols before any new laws prevent grandfathering. Even if SB281 withers on the vine, Gawd only knows what the fed will accomplish.

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013

Well, first, thank you for your response. I see as a senior member you have experience and influence. I am just an aging shooter that is interested in the actual preservation of our rights not just the idealistic declaration of the way things ought to be. (We all know how things should work.) I believe 100% of the focus should now be on winning the goal at hand. I have made many posts in that regard, not the least of which is shedding light on the lack of media that could have easily been funded by hunt clubs and gun shops. I stand by my posts stating that there is too much every-man-for-himself attitude from those folks.

Concerning my comments on hoarding, I think I pretty clearly explained it all. I know I never posted any suggestion that people who already own a firearm should not buy another one. (That would even negate myself.) My reference was to stockpile, as in individuals running as many firearms through the system as possible up to the deadline. I hope this answers your question as to where you would fit in. You certainly aren't one of those.

I don't know about others, but I thought the goal is to win. To win you need a constant influx of new recruits. Those new recruits need to see that everyone is in this together. There is a huge difference between trying to get everything you can versus trying to get as many folks as you can to win. It is just that simple for me.

I was an NRA distinguished rifleman, smallbore, as a child. I have very few guns but my heart has always been with firearms and the right to own whatever you want.

I hope I clarified things a little better.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm waiting for the time where someone goes to purchase a gun, ostesibly for self-defense, and then gets victimized in the interim, somewhere between 7 days (or even the day of purchase, for that matter) and when the MSP finally processes their "Not Disapproved." If/when that happens, there will be a lawsuit against the state for denying them (through red tape and delays) their fundamental right to self-protection.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Aside from that, I don't see any of our bellyaching doing anything about it - the anti's simply don't care - it's added revenue for the state, and in their flawed logic they believe that fewer guns on the street equals less crime, so they see the delay as a positive thing all around.

NRA-Benefactor

Defend Freedom
    Feb 4, 2013
    Calvert County
    This x1000. This guy's like a broken record. I have several guns, and have chosen to pick up a few more to avoid all of the BS IF these laws pass. If someone has waited until now to purchase their first gun, then that's their problem. As the saying goes...Their lack of preparation does not constitute an emergency on my end. They can get in line.

X2...... Why would you wait till the shit hits the fan to buy your first gun?

Not very smart and not my fault that I already own a safe full.

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013
    X2...... Why would you wait till the shit hits the fan to buy your first gun?

Not very smart and not my fault that I already own a safe full.

Think about it. Aren't we in a battle to protect our rights?

Perhaps I really don't get it. I never looked at non gun owners as idiots.
    Just because I own them and hunt I never thought lesser of those who didn't.
    I just thought they were missing out on something.

But even so, what are we trying to do here? I guess my age is really showing. I thought this was all about getting support from the Maryland citizens at large, educating them toward gun ownership.

Perhaps this is really about buying and filling another safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom