• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Here is my letter to the MSP:

Of course they are going to go with the most strict interpretation they can even though copies are included as regulated/banned or not. The AR15 being the prime example.

I may send them a letter asking for clarification on the weight requirement only for a H(eavy) BAR(rel) AR style rifle.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Clandestine, as always, you're the man. But didn't we get a few of those answered in other advisories? Such as anything articulated as HBAR being acceptable?

Keep me updated.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Of course they are going to go with the most strict interpretation they can even though copies are included as regulated/banned or not. The AR15 being the prime example.

I may send them a letter asking for clarification on the weight requirement only for a H(eavy) BAR(rel) AR style rifle.

Doubtful, as the Windham barrel is heavier and has an overall larger profile than the Colt which was the one exempted.

Can there be a weight requirement? I think barrel length would impact this too much, and there are several acceptable barrel lengths.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Clandestine, as always, you're the man. But didn't we get a few of those answered in other advisories? Such as anything articulated as HBAR being acceptable?

Yes they have in limited scope. I would like an all in one answer if possible.

Thanks for the support. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Doubtful, as the Windham barrel is heavier and has an overall larger profile than the Colt which was the one exempted.

Can there be a weight requirement? I think barrel length would impact this too much, and there are several acceptable barrel lengths.

A weight requirement would be foolish IMO because one could just make a beefier barrel for "shorter" setups. A 12" cut down bull barrel will weight close to a 20" HBAR.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Pulled a quote from this thread:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=44602

There was a concern early this year amongst several licensed MD firearms dealers regarding the issue of only Colt HBAR's being non-regulated and all other manufacturers of AR type guns with heavy profile barrels being regulated. The MLFDA (Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealer's Association), of which I am on the Board of Directors, contacted MSP Licensing and Firearms Registration Unit to receive clarification on this issue. An AR rifle (minimum of 16" barrel) with bona fide heavy barrel dimensions (under the handguard too) is a non-regulated firearm as it is a "copy" of a non-regulated firearm. Anyone on this forum that is a member of the MLFDA should have received a letter pertaining to this subject a few months ago. The existance or non-existance of a sear block in the lower receiver has no bearing on this issue as nothing is mentioned in the law pertaining to sear blocks in non-regulated AR HBARs; so consider the sear block point moot. The "HBAR" marking need NOT be present on the lower receiver and/or the barrel so as long as the barrel has a bona fide heavy barrel contour or heavier. If one changes out the HBAR configuration to other than HBAR or heavier, then the AR rifle in question is no longer non-regulated and MUST be registered as a regulated firearm with MSP and the owner must be at least of 21 years of age. So why would one want to turn a non-regulated firearm into a regulated firearm is beyond me. If you want one that is regulated, then buy a regulated non-HBAR and no law will be broken if you decide to stick an HBAR upper on it though that firearm shall remain regulated and you may switch various uppers as you please. If you are trying to get around the minimum of the 21 years of age thing, don't even think about it, it's not worth it.

We need to get a copy of the MFLDA letter.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    email i received about a vendor built rifle:

Re: is this ar-15 HBAR legal to purchase in Maryland?‏

To see messages related to this one, group messages by conversation.
    Cpl. Jason Edwards (State Police) (jason.edwards@maryland.gov)Add to contacts 1/29/14
    To: me
    Picture of Cpl. Jason Edwards (State Police)
    As long as it's a heavy barrel it would be legal to purchase.

Cpl. Jason Edwards

Corporal Jason Edwards
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, Maryland 21208
    Office: 410-653-4500
    Fax: 410-486-6360 (77R Only)
    Fax: 410-653-4036 All Other Faxes

E-mail Legal Disclaimer: This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is
    intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
    privileged and/or sensitive information. Any unauthorized re-transmission
    of this message is prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
    notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail,
    and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
    e-mail in error, please notify me immediately at the above e-mail
    address or telephone number and permanently delete the original and any
    copy of any e-mail and any printout.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:12 PM, wrote:
    Thanks for the reply . My concern was that is was built on a 6920 lower receiver instead of a virgin receiver.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2014, at 4:47 PM, "Cpl. Jason Edwards (State Police)" <jason.edwards@maryland.gov> wrote:

Heavy barrel AR-15's are not banned with the exception of the Bushmaster. Be sure that the weapon does not qualify as a Copycat Weapon.

Cpl. Jason Edwards

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    A weight requirement would be foolish IMO because one could just make a beefier barrel for "shorter" setups. A 12" cut down bull barrel will weight close to a 20" HBAR.

One could also get a CF barrel in a bull or HBAR profile that would weight about the same as the standard lightweight steel barrel. That would keep it in the same light weight range that lends to the 'assaultiness' of the specific firearms mentioned in the Md. statute.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    As A1 replied above , you are asking an excellent question that has no explicit answer. What Greg quoted is not paraphrased , that IS the MSP guidence.

As one person's interpetation of a prudent aproach :

Make sure that you replacement bbl is equal or larger in dia at any comparitive point than your stock Colt HBAR Bbl , and there should be no room to raise a question.

There is so much speculation on what is an "HBAR".

All I know is that the "Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle" and copies of it are the exception to the AR-15 ban. Now, take the Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle barrel and there you have your "for sure" measurements. Once you get outside an exact copy of that barrel, then it becomes subject to interpretation. Same goes for an exact copy of the gun.

Personally, I don't trust MSP to know exactly what the laws mean either. They were wrong about "copies" before when it came down to a .22lr that cosmetically looked like an AR-15. The AG didn't agree with MSP on that one. So, who is to say that the AG is going to agree with MSP on what a copy of an HBAR is, barrel or entire gun.

Now, that is if you want to play it extremely safe. The further you deviate from an exact copy, the more risk you take.

At least that is my opinion on the matter.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Why are we poking the lion here?

I don't think anyone is poking the lion, just double checking to make sure they are good to go as it pertains to the new MSP bulletin..

126c507adfb90ad866bd64df1e2610cc_zps6d0d68c2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom