• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I picked this very nice, unissued looking Husqvarna M/38 on Sunday at the show for $450. I had seen it on Friday for $550 and was surprised that no one had bought it, so I made an offer on Sunday. There was actually a Yugoslavian M48 right next to it for $675. The Swedish bayonet came with a German K98k bayonet and I got the pair for only $100.

The muzzle is unthreaded and the bore is perfect. The camming surfaces on the bolt parts have almost no wear either, so this rifle isn't even broken in. I need to load some 6.5x55, but at least I still have my dies and brass. I've still got a 1920 M/96 that I haven't shot in years that looks even nicer than this. M/38 sights are a bit more adjustable than M/96 sights, so I'll be shooting the crap out of this. I won't have to feel bad about not utilizing my M/96 since I get to shoot 6.5x55 this way. I'll probably use it for some service rifle matches for diversity since I basically only shoot my M1903.

fQQdHBGl.jpg

BBRdcQ2l.jpg

YIStGOBl.jpg

WV35cYol.jpg

TspydBJl.jpg

H1apXq5l.jpg

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Wow! Awesome. I really want one of these one day. You got yourself a beauty! Plus having the 100 yard sights means no crazy holdovers!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very nice! Good grab on the bayonet lot too. I'm not that much of a bayonet guy and even I know that $50 ea for those was a good deal.
    Man, I'm so behind the C&R market curve these days. Seems like just yesterday a M96 or M38 sold for $350.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Very nice! Good grab on the bayonet lot too. I'm not that much of a bayonet guy and even I know that $50 ea for those was a good deal.
    Man, I'm so behind the C&R market curve these days. Seems like just yesterday a M96 or M38 sold for $350.

Back in 2014, I saw a correct and original Husqvarna with some surface rust but a spotless bore for $250 at GunRunners in Frederick. I kind of wished I had grabbed that, but didn't want to spend the money at the time. My nice 1920 M/96 was $165 back in 2011 and 6.5x55 is what got me into reloading. I've seen Swedish Mausers go for way more than this, so I figured I better snag an M/38 now.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    MilsurpDan invited me to that sale with some of Lou45's collection. There were lots of nice Swedish Mausers, but I didn't want to spend any more money that day after I got my $600 M1903A4. He did get a CG-63 and M/94.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Bought my first Swede M96 from Lou back in the 90s for a whole $125. I think it was also the first of many C&R rifles I bought from him.

Lou told me he was tracking Swedish Mauser serial numbers that came through his shop and even provided info to a guy who wrote a book about Swedish Mausers.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A year or two ago Simpsons imported a pile of rifles from Swedish shooting clubs. Lots of CG63s and M/96s with cool Swedish diopter sights. As usual I hemmed and hawed about it and before you know it all the good ones are gone. Feet of clay strikes again! It sucks to get old...

Jul 1, 2012
    Noticed that their website is "new and improved" as of earlier this week...
    really slow for me and display of the listing pics is all boogered up....

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    At the last show I picked up a refinished 1903 M/38 with a mirror bore as a shooter. Put my C&R license to good use. I have an M/96 with bayonet and issue leather pouches, scabbard. But it is a Carl Gustas M/96 made in 1898, serial #2705. That rifle is one of my investment pieces being all-matching save for a barrel band. So the M/38 is my shooter. I also have an M/96 action that was sporterized by Kimber in the 1990s made in 1915.

I was eyeballing the booth you're referring to as I saw the Swedish "sniper" with the aftermarket scope. Had it been an M41B, even with a replica scope, I would be owning that rifle now. I saw the rifle you bought along with the M48.

Only advice is check your ammo. I have 600+ rounds of Igman 6.5x55mm I can't shoot because all of my Swedish Mausers are military actions and the Igman is loaded hot. Hot to the point of signs of serious overpressure (flattened primers, case head belting). Wolf and Prvi are loaded to military-spec pressures and shoot fine out the military actions. I'm looking for a commercial 6.5x55mm just to have something I can shoot the Igman out of!

Matt

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Only advice is check your ammo. I have 600+ rounds of Igman 6.5x55mm I can't shoot because all of my Swedish Mausers are military actions and the Igman is loaded hot. Hot to the point of signs of serious overpressure (flattened primers, case head belting). Wolf and Prvi are loaded to military-spec pressures and shoot fine out the military actions. I'm looking for a commercial 6.5x55mm just to have something I can shoot the Igman out of!

Matt

I don't shoot factory ammo. I've still got some PPU and some brass from when I used to shoot my M/96 as well as some M/41 ball I picked up. One of my friends doesn't reload, so he's going to give me his brass to add to what I have. I'm waiting for SPS to restock on the blem Nosler 140gr Custom Comps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom