• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    I'm thinking of converting my AR to side charging. I want to to have a gunsmith mill out my current upper to accept the new BCG. Does anyone have personal experience with side charging BCGs? I've heard the bolt handle cracks of easily because the threading is so shallow.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What is the purpose of your AR?

If it's a target gun the side charger may be useful.

If it's a more social use gun, unsealing (milling a slot) will allow fouling to find a way into the weapon and cause reliability problems. The AR design is sealed from the elements very well and contributes to it's reliability.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Looks like an expensive solution to a non-existent problem to me. Side charging is a necessary option when using an adjustable cheekpiece such as the WOA match stock or others where the standard charging handle is not usable due to interference with the stock.

OP, there are of course, other options for a side charging upper receiver. I have tried a number of them. Fulton Armory uses a modified DPMS LoPro receiver for theirs. If you do a search on side charging uppers, you will find a number of options. Some are good, some not so good. The WOA seems to have the least issues with the handle working loose. (Never an issue with any I have.)

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Unless you absolutely need it or want it remember that little handle has to be removeable to service the rifle which means it will never be permanent tight which means unless checked often you could be without a charging handle.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I avoid side chargers for my guns. There is no scenario where one would be necessity for me. They have proprietary parts and will allow fouling to get into the weapon.

I put them on for customers because they ask me to.

There are uppers that are an improvement. The VLTOR MUR is a VERY rigid upper which will allow less flexing under operation. They still have a standard charging handle, F.A., and dust cover which keep the weapon sealed from the elements.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I built a heavy hitting wildcat with this Gibbs non-reciprocating upper for hunting and couldn't be more pleased. The only change you make other than the upper is the included cam pin. When I do my next build, I will be getting another one of these uppers. They aren't cheap, but worth the $$$ to me.

G4-UPPR-03.jpg

49212969_2470940902948600_5186178279844872192_o.jpg

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

I understand that they use metric threads on the bolt handle so, be aware of that difference. I was looking at a YouTube video of them yesterday and the guy commented that the carrier is not chromed inside. That is a no go IMHO. Never used one of their products so, I can't comment on how well the handle stays in place or if they are actually not chromed inside.
    BTW, watching some of the related video's, there sure is a lot of stupid on YouTube!

On my White Oak side handle BCG's I use a "T" handled allen tool and I have never had one come loose. They have seen a lot of use over the years. I would have to check but, I think they use 1/4-28" threads.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One think that side chargers are good for is if you want to shoot subsonic .223, the side charger offers ease in manually cycling the gun since .223 subs will not cycle the gun on their own.

Though I have a couple S/C ARs, I've never been able to find a non-reciprocating one I'd want to buy. Love the idea. It's just that the design doesn't lend itself well to the AR's function, IMO.

shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    Looks like an expensive solution to a non-existent problem to me. Side charging is a necessary option when using an adjustable cheekpiece such as the WOA match stock or others where the standard charging handle is not usable due to interference with the stock.

OP, there are of course, other options for a side charging upper receiver. I have tried a number of them. Fulton Armory uses a modified DPMS LoPro receiver for theirs. If you do a search on side charging uppers, you will find a number of options. Some are good, some not so good. The WOA seems to have the least issues with the handle working loose. (Never an issue with any I have.)

It's really an ergonomic issue. It's just more comfortable not move my hand so close to my face.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    To rejuvenate this thread, I am in the middle of an AR pistol build. Would side discharge not be good for this configuration?

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Side charge is a downgrade.

I can believe it but....

Why?

Other than the handle coming loose (which I can loctite after each cleaning) is there another reason? Most importantly, reliability!

I normally would take your advice at face value, but man, I really love the side charge ergonomics of my SKS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom