• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Doesn't the Ruger have some kind of crappy cast front site block? I saw one at Cabellas the thought it was comparable to buying a set of "tourist" copper pans when visiting France...

Definitely the Colt...

The 8511 has a milled FSB instead of the standard forged FSB.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have never been a huge fan of Rugers but have also always felt colt is over priced for what you get. Its a shame that we cant get Rock River Arms rifles in this state easily anymore...

I would tend to agree with the poster that mentioned a WW would be a nice in between price wise. A perk is that you get a hard case with the WW if you like those :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have never been a huge fan of Rugers but have also always felt colt is over priced for what you get. Its a shame that we cant get Rock River Arms rifles in this state easily anymore...

I would tend to agree with the poster that mentioned a WW would be a nice in between price wise. A perk is that you get a hard case with the WW if you like those :)

They are a inferior AR compared to Ruger and Colt in my experience. Dremeled M4 Ramps in the anodizing, inconsistent Gas Key Bolt install value and staking. They is loctite on the Receiver Extension as well.

Their AR Tech Videos on YouTube showcase some of this as well.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Did he post about it? What is the scoop?

Hasn't posted about it that I know of, but w/out unleashing all the details of his years long ordeal - LAR-8 with massive receiver gaps.

Like Michael Strahan smiling gaps.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    I recently picked up an AR-556 MD compliant model 8511. I posted a few of my first impressions in another thread...see below. I've not tried the Colt, but just based on the weight specs alone, the Ruger looks to be alot lighter.

"Just put my new AR-556 through its first paces today. Fired 100 rounds through it with a mixture of freedom munitions and federal 223 and not a single hiccup. I compared with my Windham HBC.

The Ruger is LIGHT...if I didn't know any better I would guess this is a banned rifle. I could get comparable groups with both shooting offhand at 25 yards, although the Ruger was printing noticeably low...will need to adjust the sights. I think Ruger must be using a different alloy in their bolt carrier group as it was noticeably easier to clean for some reason. Although I found it odd that a couple of the bolt contact points showed some surface wear after this 1st outing. I think this rifle would be superior to the Windham if you had to carry it some distance.

Having said that, I think the Windham is the better of the two. It's double heat guards soaked up the heat of the session far better. The aluminum receivers on the Windham have a look and feel of superior quality. I much prefer the Windham carry handle iron sights versus the Ruger flip up sight.

All in all I'm glad I've got the AR-556, and it is a great lightweight addition to the MD compliant arsenal"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom