• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Can you give me a call and let me know where you are seeing them. My sister in law is missing.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Can you give me a call and let me know where you are seeing them. My sister in law is missing.

Check around Pax River, there's a whole herd there, some of em even have I.D. cards!:lol2:
    Walmart seems to be feeding a number of em also, just saying...:innocent0

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This in itself is bad news unless they add it to the "No Closed Season" list.

The way the law reads, if there is no specific open season on a given species, it is "protected" wildlife and illegal to injure/kill/harass/capture. IOW: "closed season" by default.

If this is the case. DNR is asking the hunters to rat them-self out?

DNR doesn't even have them on the list as an invasive specie

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    A few years ago, there waas an issue with roaming hogs in Carroll County (New Windsor area I believe) due to an issue with a farmer there. He was a hog farmer but when his animals would get out (usually more the 6 at a time) he would only patch the fence and never looked for the pigs.

They established a small group and ravaged the neighbors yards, the woods and some crop fields.

The guy was utlimately charged and I believe lost all of his animals due to the conditions in which they were living. He was fined/jailed and forfieted all of his stock.

I don't know if they are still loose there in Carroll County, but they were at one time.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Neither has snake head

I guess when the hog population reaches the snake head population numbers, my fun times will be better. I want a Eurasian Wild Boar though, I've slaughtered enough domesticated hogs before on the farm, totally different animal. Feral pigs are just wild-born domestics and that's no fun, I want something that will attack if provoked.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Yeah those European/Russian type wild pigs would be the best, nice hairy bristles, big tusks, mean as heck, make nice mounts= more business for me. Though boars are a PIA to flesh. The bigger and older the boar, the more "shield" to pare down. Of course our 6 pointer Japanese sikas have inch thick skin behind the antlers, so....

DNR also needs to place a huge healthy coyote in one of my traps every day of the upcoming season. And the officers need to stop watching and start putting huge otters into the otter traps, till I have 10. They can even tag them for me while dead in the traps, so when I show up a little while later for my daily check, I can be extra happy. A few 70 pound beavers would also be nice. And a ranch mink that got loose from somewhere in PA. Oh and a fisher in a fox set.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    See references on the various pages of the "Hunting & trapping Guide" as listed below: http://pub.jfgriffin.com/doc/jfgriffin/10MDHD
    I am certain this is for winged creatures only...
    Note the definition of "nongame birds and mammals" on the Guide page 14 glossary and the prominent use of the word "every".
    If this is the case. DNR is asking the hunters to rat them-self out?...
    Interesting question, but I doubt it, but technically speaking, it IS against the law to kill it if it's not listed as a game animal or as unprotected.
    ....DNR doesn't even have them on the list as an invasive specie
    It seems like a simple oversight not to have added the pig to the invasive species list, but perhaps that's what the study is about.
    They aren't listed as invasive simply because they've never existed in the state as a game animal.
    Never knew this was the case. So you're saying that there is a formal policy in place that an animal must have been listed as a game animal in order to be officially considered an invasive species? Seems rather odd to limit invasive species on the list (like Zebra Mussels) to those who have been hunted. Why would this be?

I would note that the glossary also shows the definition of "protected birds and mammals" as being *any* wild bird or mammal not defined as game or unprotected.

Sure, feral pigs are serious pests and should be eradicated, but there should be some clarification of the legality of shooting them when the law is pretty clear about what is legal to kill under MD hunting law.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    See references on the various pages of the "Hunting & trapping Guide"

It seems like a simple oversight not to have added the pig to the invasive species list, but perhaps that's what the study is about.

Note the definition of "nongame birds and mammals" on the Guide page 14 glossary and the prominent use of the word "every".

Sure, feral pigs are serious pests and should be eradicated, but there should be some clarification of the legality of shooting them when the law is pretty clear about what is legal to kill under MD hunting law.

You have to educate yourself on "invasive species" outside of the terms you keep referring to as "guide" glossary and "hunting" laws, which you are obviously getting from the hunting and trapping guide.

We are discussing "feral pigs", like we would discuss "ground hogs", which are a "shoot to kill vermin" as well, but, we're not worried about what the information the "hunting and trapping guide" has to offer, it has no bearing on the conversation, plus we need to get back on the topic of feral hogs in Maryland and shootin' at'em because we can. When they become listed in Maryland, we'll debate this issue.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You have to educate yourself on "invasive species" outside of the terms you keep referring to as "guide" glossary and "hunting" laws, which you are obviously getting from the hunting and trapping guide.

We are discussing "feral pigs", like we would discuss "ground hogs", which are a "shoot to kill vermin" as well, but, we're not worried about what the information the "hunting and trapping guide" has to offer, it has no bearing on the conversation, plus we need to get back on the topic of feral hogs in Maryland and shootin' at'em because we can. When they become listed in Maryland, we'll debate this issue.
    Please document your assertion with a legal citation and set me straight with a legitimate legal reference that supersedes the Hunting Guide and contradicts what I said above.

Otherwise, I have to believe you're just expressing a personal opinion.

To be clear:
    1) I do not oppose killing feral hogs at all and believe they should be 100% eradicated.
    2) I am opposed to encouraging folks to break the law and/or being cited for killing species that do not appear on the game animal list or the unprotected species list.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    "Wild hogs, whether feral or boar, are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010. They are known to be in all southern states, and they are spreading. A few have been spotted in Maryland and there are no rules governing hunting them."

Rules

1. As of 2010, hogs are not considered game animals. There are no rules regarding hunting or killing them. Maryland wildlife officials say if hogs are spotted they should be killed and should be reported to the state wildlife commission.

Technical information is simply not available on the subject, there has been no reason in the past to develop a "legal reference" on the matter. Try finding laws or regulations on Groundhogs via Maryland DNR.

The fact still remains, I would love to have the opportunity to take a feral hog in Maryland, regardless if it gets to the point of being a regulated "game animal" or not. At this point few states have regulations on them simply because the state doesn't want them here, so, it's back to "shoot-to-kill" for all residence.

2) I am opposed to encouraging folks to break the law and/or being cited for killing species that do not appear on the game animal list or the unprotected species list.

I'm sorry, but, I'm not going to continue debating this subjects "unwritten" legalities, when there are no laws specific to the animal to debate. You can not "break" a law, there is no law. They are not on an "unprotected species list" because the feral hogs "are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010." They are not going to be listed if they are classified as such. If they do become listed as a "game animal", it'll be a happy day on this end.

Now, back to killing lawless wild pigs for Sunday breakfast.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    "Wild hogs, whether feral or boar, are considered invasive nuisance animals as of 2010. They are known to be in all southern states, and they are spreading. A few have been spotted in Maryland and there are no rules governing hunting them."

Rules

1. As of 2010, hogs are not considered game animals. There are no rules regarding hunting or killing them. Maryland wildlife officials say if hogs are spotted they should be killed and should be reported to the state wildlife commission.

Where did you get this information?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Technical information is simply not available on the subject, there has been no reason in the past to develop a "legal reference" on the matter. Try finding laws or regulations on Groundhogs via Maryland DNR.

The fact still remains, I would love to have the opportunity to take a feral hog in Maryland, regardless if it gets to the point of being a regulated "game animal" or not. At this point few states have regulations on them simply because the state doesn't want them here, so, it's back to "shoot-to-kill" for all residence.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/geninfo.asp

Note: The woodchuck and nutria are classified as “unprotected mammals.” As such, a hunting license is not required to hunt woodchucks and nutria except in Baltimore and Frederick Counties. Woodchucks and nutria may be hunted throughout the year, including on Sundays. Hunters must wear fluorescent orange while hunting woodchucks. All legal hunting devices may be used to hunt woodchucks and nutria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom