• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMarley56

Feb 12, 2016
    Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW (300 Blackout) Maryland Legal?

Hello all…longtime member, 1st time posting.

I've been trying to do my own research to determine if the Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW 300 Blackout is Maryland legal. It is classified as a pistol but it also features a 30 round magazine, leading me to believe that there is NO WAY this isn't banned, although it is not on the MSP banned list.

Link: https://danieldefense.com/ddm4-pdw.html
    Link: https://pilot-mdsp.maryland.gov/Org...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Your thoughts and expertise are greatly appreciated!

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member

I've been trying to do my own research to determine if the Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW 300 Blackout is Maryland legal. It is classified as a pistol but it also features a 30 round magazine, leading me to believe that there is NO WAY this isn't banned, although it is not on the MSP banned list.

Link: https://pilot-mdsp.maryland.gov/Org...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

You can't buy the 30 round mag in Maryland or have it shipped to you, for sure

You can go up to PA and buy one at and corner store and bring it home and possess it in Maryland, legally

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    And just like that, in 22 posts, we have another HBAR thread complete with all the required information.

Enjoy!

ABN18F

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 30, 2020
    So this thread actually clears up a lot of questions I actually had as well... with the exception of one. So in MD you can't have an AR-15 type rifle chb in 5.56 with a 16" barrel unless its an HBAR, and has an OAL of 29" with the muzzle pinned/welded. However, you CAN have an SBR with a barrel >16, chb in 5.56, no pin or weld required as long as you properly register it. You can also have the same SBR, and call it a pistol by putting on an arm brace and it doesn't require any type of registration. I'm confused as the differences between the ballistic capability of each.. What's the point of the HBAR and Pistol brace?

All of the aforementioned rifles fire 5.56, and can inflict the same amount of damage inside of 200 meters with the most basic of shooters, so why the differences in rules..? Here's my real question though: Is it better to just buy a rifle that is already classified as an SBR, and have the manufacturer do all of the paperwork, then enjoy the wait, or buy an AR pistol, then file the paperwork to turn it into an SBR by replacing the brace with a collapsible stock? I kinda have my finger on purchasing this prefab SBR... I'll wait for the tax stamp, just looking to see the best route..

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Welcome to Maryland, where the laws are written to be as confusing as possible and to be as illogical as possible by people with zero clue about firearms.

So this thread actually clears up a lot of questions I actually had as well... with the exception of one. So in MD you can't have an AR-15 type rifle chb in 5.56 with a 16" barrel unless its an HBAR, and has an OAL of 29" with the muzzle pinned/welded. However, you CAN have an SBR with a barrel >16, chb in 5.56, no pin or weld required as long as you properly register it. You can also have the same SBR, and call it a pistol by putting on an arm brace and it doesn't require any type of registration. I'm confused as the differences between the ballistic capability of each.. What's the point of the HBAR and Pistol brace?

All of the aforementioned rifles fire 5.56, and can inflict the same amount of damage inside of 200 meters with the most basic of shooters, so why the differences in rules..? Here's my real question though: Is it better to just buy a rifle that is already classified as an SBR, and have the manufacturer do all of the paperwork, then enjoy the wait, or buy an AR pistol, then file the paperwork to turn it into an SBR by replacing the brace with a collapsible stock? I kinda have my finger on purchasing this prefab SBR... I'll wait for the tax stamp, just looking to see the best route..

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

I commend you for trying to find logic here, but I assure you it is a waste of your mental energy.

In many ways a heavier and longer barrel are advantageous in a few ways, namely that they stand up to heavy strings of fire better and offer better ballistics over a given distance.

As far as what you should do, that’s your choice. Buying a complete SBR from the manufacturer requires a Form 4 which typically takes significantly longer than a Form 1.

Buying it as a pistol allows you to SBR it using a Form 1, and also allows you enjoy the firearm while you wait for approval. You’d have to buy a stock after the fact, though.

And I am pretty sure if you slap a 16 inch barrel on a registered SBR, it is no longer an SBR but rather a regular rifle and must therefore comply with Maryland rules.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I commend you for trying to find logic here, but I assure you it is a waste of your mental energy.

In many ways a heavier and longer barrel are advantageous in a few ways, namely that they stand up to heavy strings of fire better and offer better ballistics over a given distance.

As far as what you should do, that’s your choice. Buying a complete SBR from the manufacturer requires a Form 4 which typically takes significantly longer than a Form 1.

Buying it as a pistol allows you to SBR it using a Form 1, and also allows you enjoy the firearm while you wait for approval. You’d have to buy a stock after the fact, though.

And I am pretty sure if you slap a 16 inch barrel on a registered SBR, it is no longer an SBR but rather a regular rifle and must therefore comply with Maryland rules.

This is correct. Once you put a 16”+ barrel on an SBR it ceases to be an SBR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Wrong link, you link to the (not official) long guns list, since this is a handgun, you need the handgun roster, found here:

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

And according to the roster, the DDM is indeed approved;

Model: DDM4
    Model Number: N/A
    Caliber: 300 BLK, 5.56 NATO

BMarley56

Feb 12, 2016
    Wrong link, you link to the (not official) long guns list, since this is a handgun, you need the handgun roster, found here:

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

And according to the roster, the DDM is indeed approved;

Model: DDM4
    Model Number: N/A
    Caliber: 300 BLK, 5.56 NATO
    dblas, THANK YOU so much for the correct link AND the info on the legality of the DDM4 Blackout! You saved my eyebrows because this question already had me pull my hair out!

ALL THE BEST!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    dblas, THANK YOU so much for the correct link AND the info on the legality of the DDM4 Blackout! You saved my eyebrows because this question already had me pull my hair out!

ALL THE BEST!

We all go bald to a certain extent here, from time to time, welcome to the group.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And just to throw out some more confusion , most of the above refer to Semiautomatic Centerfire Rifles .

If you build a single shot or straight pull center fire .223 , it can have pencil bbl , folding stock , be between 26 and 28.9 inch OAL , etc .

An AR Pistol or Other may have a pencil bbl , just not Rifles .

All the 2013 rules don't apply to Rimfire Rifles .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom