• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott's Gunsmithing

Industry Partner
    Mar 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    We have been doing Cerakote and Durakote for several months now. Thought I'd post some examples of out work for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• P1040355.JPG
      P1040355.JPG
      93.4 KB · Views: 1,841
    • P1040356.JPG
      P1040356.JPG
      71.4 KB · Views: 1,278
    • P1040357.jpg
      P1040357.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 1,279
    • P1040362.JPG
      P1040362.JPG
      42 KB · Views: 1,302
    • P1040364.JPG
      P1040364.JPG
      50.2 KB · Views: 1,281
    • P1040360.JPG
      P1040360.JPG
      54.3 KB · Views: 1,311
    • P1040365.JPG
      P1040365.JPG
      65.4 KB · Views: 1,266
    • P1040366.JPG
      P1040366.JPG
      125.2 KB · Views: 1,269

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Pricing list?

Call the store. Pricing will vary depending on what you want painted as well as whether the firearm has to be taken apart. Obviously, painting a stripped lower and/ or upper will be cheaper than having to tear the firearm down to paint those same parts then re-assemble.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Looks good. Are you guys doing any masked designs like camo or only solid color components?

Dalton, our 'smith who is doing most of the painting, did a variety of thing before he came to Scott's. Most of what I have seen him do so far is solid colors with some detail painted in with other colors (see the stripped lowers). I do know he is painting an AR with a 'Distressed look' currently, so he can do more than simple one color painting.

Call 410 761-9815

Scott's Gunsmithing

Industry Partner
    Mar 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Another Cerakote job - Owned by sxs

I liked the Cerakote on our AR handgun so much, I had one of my personal ARs Cerakoted. sxs aka Beau at Scott's Gunsmithing

Attachments

• Beau AR 2 (1).JPG
      Beau AR 2 (1).JPG
      53.6 KB · Views: 1,048
    • Beau AR 2 (2).JPG
      Beau AR 2 (2).JPG
      52.1 KB · Views: 1,067

mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    I have an 80% lower that will need to be bead blasted before cerakote, would you guys be able to do that and then cerakote it and some other parts?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have an 80% lower that will need to be bead blasted before cerakote, would you guys be able to do that and then cerakote it and some other parts?

Sorry....didn't work today and just saw this.

Scott won't take 80%'ers in for work due to not being able to log them in with a serial number. I have heard of a couple other 'smith's who do this and had a 'Gentlemen's disagreement' with one of them on a forum. But Scotty told me that ATF told him point blank that it was illegal since it could cause him to be construed as manufacturing (this event pre-dated my employment there). The 'smith I had a disagreement with told me that his field rep said he could do so recording the lower as NSN (no Serial Number). That is valid to do for firearms made or imported before 1968, but Scott insists that he was told in no uncertain terms it would create a problem, so he won't take 'em in. FYI, if it were a regular stripped lower, we always bead blast the lower with fine glass beads to remove the anodizing before cerakoting.

mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry....didn't work today and just saw this.

Scott won't take 80%'ers in for work due to not being able to log them in with a serial number. I have heard of a couple other 'smith's who do this and had a 'Gentlemen's disagreement' with one of them on a forum. But Scotty told me that ATF told him point blank that it was illegal since it could cause him to be construed as manufacturing (this event pre-dated my employment there). The 'smith I had a disagreement with told me that his field rep said he could do so recording the lower as NSN (no Serial Number). That is valid to do for firearms made or imported before 1968, but Scott insists that he was told in no uncertain terms it would create a problem, so he won't take 'em in. FYI, if it were a regular stripped lower, we always bead blast the lower with fine glass beads to remove the anodizing before cerakoting.

Interesting, but I can see why some would want to stay away from the work then. Just out of curiosity, could it be bead blasted and coated before it was completed? because then it's not a lower, just some metal according to the ATF.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Interesting, but I can see why some would want to stay away from the work then. Just out of curiosity, could it be bead blasted and coated before it was completed? because then it's not a lower, just some metal according to the ATF.

I would expect that to be rather case, but you should call the store. 410 761-9815. lopen Tues - Fri 10 to 6, sat 9 to 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom