• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I'll defend the home with the VZ58 - if/when I need to bug out, I'll take the AR and a backpack full of 5.56 - much lighter than 7.62x39 to drag around. Harder decision is the sidearm - I'm thinking 9mm but might just grab a 22.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    I'll defend the home with the VZ58 - if/when I need to bug out, I'll take the AR and a backpack full of 5.56 - much lighter than 7.62x39 to drag around. Harder decision is the sidearm - I'm thinking 9mm but might just grab a 22.

I love my VZ58..... A lot!

Attachments

• 952CBF64-7812-407B-B4EB-924402AB91A1.jpg
      952CBF64-7812-407B-B4EB-924402AB91A1.jpg
      137.8 KB · Views: 543

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Cant decide between my AR15 or my VZ58. Probably will pick the 7.62x39

One of my two AR’s. 16inch with 1-6x if I need to venture out and my 10.3 DDM4V7p if I’m staying put.

Sidearm would either be my Glock 17 or my Sig p320 full size. HKVP9 stays with the wife since she likes it the most.

Attachments

• CB9B9C1E-8D91-4441-AABF-1FB341F659DE.jpg
      CB9B9C1E-8D91-4441-AABF-1FB341F659DE.jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 371

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Tough choice, probably something in .30 cal, semi auto, and has ammo that is plentiful. So that leaves, AR10, M1A, AK, or the other AR10. I've pondered this and I just can't make up my mind. The number of mags I have also makes the choice harder. 300BLK AR would be a choice too but ammo may be hard to find. 7.62 is everywhere.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    An AR-15 is the obvious choice but I would keep a Ruger 10/22 handy also.

I have often thought about ammo choice. The ammunition I usually gravitate towards is typically NATO (9mm, 5.56, 308) due to they tend to be cheaper and plentiful.

These are my thoughts on that...

I read an article about how O-Pos blood is the most common blood type but because everyone needs it, emergency rooms are always running out of it.

Thinking this could apply to ammo needs, I figure when "the end times come", it might not be a bad idea to have something that shoots something that is available, but not as common. Something like 10mm or 40 caliber comes to mind. The idea is that the less common ammo type might be the last box left on the shelf when you come looking.

Any opinions on this?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    probably a 16" AR with a 1-4x for 0-600y multi use and a .22lr conversion kit in case ammo runs low

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    These days? Probably the suppressed and scoped .17HMR. Small, light, easily transported, can carry A LOT of ammo in a pocket, and a very effective platform for food or offense to 100 yards.

DaytonaGreg

Apr 14, 2014
    Severn, MD
    Well I’m not a firearm pro but I thought about this when considering purchases. If possible, I’d like to grab a Glock 19 (9mm) and a PC 9mm Carbine with an ammo can of 500 rounds (assuming SHTF, but I consider that possibility unlikely at this time even with Pelosi and company). Still hoping citizens vote in #2A representatives in 2020 because violence is never the answer.

.... For hunting, a shotgun would also be a great idea assuming you have some flexible shotgun shell loads. I’m beginning to understand the capability and flexibility of a shotgun (assuming we take time to identify useful payloads for hunting, etc). Always adhere to the law and vote for pols who support your 2A rights. Food and other non-firearm supplies are a whole other matter and require planning as well. #2A

.... My next “project” is attempting to build a quality AR rifle so I can train and have a longer range 556/223 option. Right now I am practicing/training with a Ruger PC9 takedown. Ideally, I’d like to build an AR and find a 10-22 takedown since almost everyone recommends them as a nice lightweight apocalyptic option (cheap ammo, with bartering possibilities). Stay safe, & stay LEGAL. (Toilet paper & baby wipes are king ��)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    At least 2 ARs, 2 9mm Pistols, a 22 and an SKS. Enough room after that, a 308 hunting rifle
    223 is what I have the most surplus of other than 22.

Never just one rifle. I have a family with several boys that can shoot so I doubt we'd only have just one of something with us.

If I had to send a boy off with just one rifle, it would be an AR. I want him to at least hit his target.

Hope it never comes to this.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    TinCuda;5648145 I read an article about how O-Pos blood is the most common blood type but because everyone needs it said:
    I'd stick with common calibers;5.556/.223, .22LR, 9mm.

If you're looking at retail shelves, there's your big mistake. Buy case lots. For the cost of a cheap AR, you could have a thousand rounds of 5.56, a thousand rounds of 9mm, and 5000 rounds of .22LR. If you need more than that, we're all pretty much screwed.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I read an article about how O-Pos blood is the most common blood type but because everyone needs it, emergency rooms are always running out of it.

Thinking this could apply to ammo needs, I figure when "the end times come", it might not be a bad idea to have something that shoots something that is available, but not as common. Something like 10mm or 40 caliber comes to mind. The idea is that the less common ammo type might be the last box left on the shelf when you come looking.

Any opinions on this?

I'd stick with common calibers;5.556/.223, .22LR, 9mm.

If you're looking at retail shelves, there's your big mistake. Buy case lots. For the cost of a cheap AR, you could have a thousand rounds of 5.56, a thousand rounds of 9mm, and 5000 rounds of .22LR. If you need more than that, we're all pretty much screwed.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    I would like an AR15 pistol, 5.56 and .223 ammo should be relatively easy to find/barter. The size is easy to carry and the range exceeds most handguns. fred55

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom