• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm not aware of any uspsa, idpa, 2 or 3 gun, or prs matches where you need to be a member of that range or club to participate (eg, peacemaker, thurmont, york, shadow hawk, etc). entry fees range from $25-50. most say 100-150 rounds per gun so ammo $ is a consideration. i really don't practice and just use the last match as practice for the next one. that said, you def want to know where your guns hit at various distances and setups (ie diff chokes, precision vs blaster ammo at distance in your AR, etc).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I wish I knew where to even start with this

as daunting as it sounds, just do it. sign up for a match. at each stage let them know you're new and trust me, everyone will go out of their way to help you out. they'll let you go last so you can see what everyone does. just concentrate on being safe (finger outside trigger guard unless actually shooting, and muzzle(s) always pointed generally downrange). look on www.practiscore.com for matches near you.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Agreed that you don't need the best equipment to start out in 3 gun(or really any competition), but you do need at least adequate equipment. Basically you need enough gear to safely run a stage without slowing everyone else, or taking so much time to reload/swap around that you can't get back up and running in a couple minutes, and get back to helping reset. Also takes forever when people aren't ready to go when up, aren't ready to help reset when a run is done, or basically hit par-time on every stage because of insufficient equipment. Gets really annoying when squadded with people taking a long time to swap gear to each other being they don't have their own, taking forever to get ready, or dumping ammo all over as they run and crap falls out of pockets and cheap holsters.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For the 3 firearm types, what are the max distance to target?
    Totally depends on which range you're shooting at. I think max distance at AGC for pretty much anything is around 50yds, though. What's going to punish you is not range, it's going to be being slow and inaccurate.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Totally depends on which range you're shooting at. I think max distance at AGC for pretty much anything is around 50yds, though. What's going to punish you is not range, it's going to be being slow and inaccurate.

At AGC, for rifle 2 and 3 gun, I thought that the targets were more like 75 yds. One cannot set up to bang steel with a rifle closer than 100yds outside of a sanctioned event. 50 yds for rifle seems pushing the envelope. Just my 0.02.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Agreed that you don't need the best equipment to start out in 3 gun(or really any competition), but you do need at least adequate equipment. Basically you need enough gear to safely run a stage without slowing everyone else, or taking so much time to reload/swap around that you can't get back up and running in a couple minutes, and get back to helping reset. Also takes forever when people aren't ready to go when up, aren't ready to help reset when a run is done, or basically hit par-time on every stage because of insufficient equipment. Gets really annoying when squadded with people taking a long time to swap gear to each other being they don't have their own, taking forever to get ready, or dumping ammo all over as they run and crap falls out of pockets and cheap holsters.

So how do "new to comp" shooters get acquainted with helping to reset, reloading if they don't have all the equipment or sharing a firearm?

I'd bet most here would be clueless how to score an fclass match.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    For the 3 firearm types, what are the max distance to target?

depends on the venue. peacemaker goes to 500yds with rifle usually on 1-2 stages of their 2 & 3 gun matches. thurmont goes to 300 on one stage. i believe shadow hawk goes to 200 on one stage. handgun and shotgun (shot) are generally well within 25 yards if not half that. shotgun slugs 15-100 yds or so.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    depends on the venue. peacemaker goes to 500yds with rifle usually on 1-2 stages of their 2 & 3 gun matches. thurmont goes to 300 on one stage. i believe shadow hawk goes to 200 on one stage. handgun and shotgun (shot) are generally well within 25 yards if not half that. shotgun slugs 15-100 yds or so.

I'm gonna have to make it to a thrumont shoot. My neighbor shoots the 2 gun there often. I guess I'll have to embarrass myself with my pistols skills to see what its all about!

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    At the AGC for rifle i am guessing a 1x red dot is fine. I have a 1-4x Nikon scope though that i havent yet tried. For pistol I will experiment with fiber optic front and rear sights. Hope the event doesnt get cancelled.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So how do "new to comp" shooters get acquainted with helping to reset, reloading if they don't have all the equipment or sharing a firearm?

I'd bet most here would be clueless how to score an fclass match.

3 gun is so complex between equipment, movement and rules, it's probably the worst "first" match for a new competitor to get into. There are simpler "training" matches like York's Fun shoots, plenty of steel challenge, falling steel, or single gun matches to at least be able to learn basic safety and equipment needs. For newer shooters it's a real good idea to spectate at a match before shooting in it, good way to at least learn about the layout and etiquette. Plenty of matches have an equipment / ammo list, and you can find 3 gun setup suggestions plenty of places. There is the annoying factor, but also a safety one too, had 2 guys sharing a pistol and 2 mags at one 3 gun match, basically having to fully load them twice on each stage, neither was close to ready when they were up, one got a warning for re-holstering an empty pistol to try to reload a mag(with loose ammo) to finish a stage, got DQed because the pistol and holster fell off his belt as it wasn't secured, probably because it kept getting swapped on and off so much. I do appreciate that growing sport shooting is good for us, and love introducing new people to compete, but there is a minimum level of equipment and competency required.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    There is absolutely no requirement to have an AGC range badge to participate in the action shooting events (three gun, IDPA or steel challenge). You will get a discount for being a badge holder but it's not a requirement so come on out. Steel Challenge is $20 for non badge holders, assume Three Gun and IDPA would be the same, add in the cost of ammo shot during a match and it's still cheaper than a round of golf at a decent course.

Great to know. Can't make this one, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next events.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I was shooting other sports when 3-gun hit my area. I started out building an AR. Since I was not that familiar with the AR platform then I bought a complete Stag 3G upper and built a lower with parts I already had from prize tables in other shooting sports (except the trigger). I went down to a local gun show to see Mark from Precision Firearms, a local custom AR builder, who always has a bunch of triggers setup to try out. Fell in love with the Geiselle Super 3-Gun. Took it out to a local precision tactical match (run and gun AR only) and did pretty well. I had 2 Browning Gold shotguns in my arsenal (Bennie C. won multiple USPSA multi-gun titles with them). But a barrel alone for the Browning cost more that an entire Mossberg 930 JMP. So I sold both Brownings and bought the only 930 I could find locally, one of the home defense models and increased the mag tube to 7+1. Used my Bul M5 DS 1911 in 9x23mm as my pistol for my first match. Right after that I managed to snap up a 24" Mossberg 930 JMP for the next match.
    And that is how it started. And it was never ending. By the time the first season was over the only Stag part left in the AR was the barrel. The shotgun got a 2 round matchsaver carrier near the port, an optional 12+1 setup for shooting Open/Unlimited Div, and fiber optic sights plus belt caddies, Load2 and quadload racks and a selection of chokes for different stages. Pistol went from 2 double stack 1911s, one for each division to a single Glock 34 with parts to fit either one.

And don't get me started on practice. USPSA matches became 3-gun pistol practice, Had to calibrate the FO sights on the shotgun for both regular and low recoil slugs, buckshot and both #7.5 bird shot and #6 for the heavy steel knockoffs they used. As matches progressed the AR field targets got farther and farther out till they got to around 400 yards. And yet you still had to shoot really close so offset iron sights and/or an offset red dot for Open. Couple of years later my knees started getting worse so I stopped. But it was some of the best times I ever had shooting. And inspite of that I have never sold a single thing from my 3-gun arsenal, because I have had one knee repaired and I might get back to it.
    So show-up with what you can pull together, have fun like 99% do and be prepared to start putting a kit together.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    3 gun is so complex between equipment, movement and rules, it's probably the worst "first" match for a new competitor to get into. There are simpler "training" matches like York's Fun shoots, plenty of steel challenge, falling steel, or single gun matches to at least be able to learn basic safety and equipment needs. For newer shooters it's a real good idea to spectate at a match before shooting in it, good way to at least learn about the layout and etiquette. Plenty of matches have an equipment / ammo list, and you can find 3 gun setup suggestions plenty of places. There is the annoying factor, but also a safety one too, had 2 guys sharing a pistol and 2 mags at one 3 gun match, basically having to fully load them twice on each stage, neither was close to ready when they were up, one got a warning for re-holstering an empty pistol to try to reload a mag(with loose ammo) to finish a stage, got DQed because the pistol and holster fell off his belt as it wasn't secured, probably because it kept getting swapped on and off so much. I do appreciate that growing sport shooting is good for us, and love introducing new people to compete, but there is a minimum level of equipment and competency required.
    That would be annoying. And unsafe.

That said, I’d still encourage people to come out and try. The last AGC 3-Gun I shot had several spectators. My Dad came out to see it, though he probably will never compete. But there were at least two other guys, who shoot on the other AGC ranges, who came out to see how it all went. I made sure to talk to both, and encouraged them to sign up for the next one.

At the recommendation of the organizers, I borrowed a semiauto shotgun (Stoeger M3K) for the match. It definitely made a difference compared to my 12.5”, 18.5” or 20” 870s. But I think a lot of that was magazine capacity.

Next match I’ll shoot this: Swapped to a 28” Express Barrel I had, and will/may eventually replace that mag extension with a Nordic one. Stock is getting swapped for a Hogue/Knoxx CompStock.

Attachments

• 8C6AD368-0785-4D30-BB5A-F4DEF498F6A8.jpg
      8C6AD368-0785-4D30-BB5A-F4DEF498F6A8.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 171

slider

Aug 11, 2012
    Eldersburg
    AGC and Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club

Gents,

I stumbled on this thread and had a few comments for folks in MD and VA interested in action shooting. The AGC in Marriotsville is odd in that there are many clubs that fall under the AGC facility. With that said, the Arlington Rifle and Pistol club spearheaded action shooting at the facility. Everything this thread mentioned about starting up in 2 or 3 gun to cost analysis is addressed at the AGC. ARPC has 2 and 3 Gun practical events that don't follow the 3 Gun nation ruleset so folks can learn and have fun in a practical manner safely. The AGC Action shooting committee, run by Arlington members, offers 3Gun nation ruleset matches for those that want the regimented rules. The range badge cost of $200 is unsurpassed in value by any range within a 60 mile radius. We have something for everyone. I run practical rifle and pistol steel events for club members wanting to learn proper gun handling under stress. This range is the best kept secret in MD. We just completed shooting bays this year in order to run 5 stage events as well. We have folks travel up to an hour to shoot at the AGC. All the AGC events are in practiscore for sign up. While other ranges go cold for the winter, we shoot year round. ARPC has night shoots and suppressor only events as well. So what ever your flavor, high power, shotgun, pistol, plinking or action, we have it covered. Questions?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That would be annoying. And unsafe.

That said, I’d still encourage people to come out and try. The last AGC 3-Gun I shot had several spectators. My Dad came out to see it, though he probably will never compete. But there were at least two other guys, who shoot on the other AGC ranges, who came out to see how it all went. I made sure to talk to both, and encouraged them to sign up for the next one.

At the recommendation of the organizers, I borrowed a semiauto shotgun (Stoeger M3K) for the match. It definitely made a difference compared to my 12.5”, 18.5” or 20” 870s. But I think a lot of that was magazine capacity.

Next match I’ll shoot this: Swapped to a 28” Express Barrel I had, and will/may eventually replace that mag extension with a Nordic one. Stock is getting swapped for a Hogue/Knoxx CompStock.

The worst was the aftermath of an accident that made the news several years ago. A guy put a 9mm through his leg reholstering with his finger on the trigger, experienced shooter new to steel challenge and competition. Caused the 5min pre-match signup and safety briefing to get changed to 20 min worth of waiting in line, multiple forms, releases, ID requirements, and hand stamps to verify you completed the pre-match paperwork followed by legal briefings, reading forms, and an extensive safety briefing. One mistake sucked the fun right out of it. Accidents do happen, and the range definitely went WAYYY overboard afterwards, but we should be glad that currently most anyone can sign up and shoot a match at most ranges. IMO it is our responsibility to help coach new shooters, make the requirements and etiquette well known to help keep it that way. I don't have a problem with basic equipment, or new shooters getting into competition, but don't want to glorify a lack of basic equipment to encourage new shooters. I bring spare equipment to loan, help coach new competitors, and have tried to keep things fun, running smooth and safe beyond just asking "who has never competed before, raise your hand".

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Gents,

I stumbled on this thread and had a few comments for folks... Questions?

I do want to get this straight regarding the AGC.

The monthly IDPA, Steel Challenge and 3-Gun events are AGC events. Open to anyone.

The Action Committee is NOT running the 3 events above, but holds their own steel and 3 gun (2 gun as well?). Open to ... anyone, AGC range members???

The Arlington Club runs the their own action events, open to...?

Thanks. I'm glad this seems to be skyrocketing at the AGC.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Arlington Club runs the their own action events, open to...?

Thanks. I'm glad this seems to be skyrocketing at the AGC.

Badge holders - asked and answered in another thread.

Action shooting holds practices some Thursdays during the month (once maybe twice). Arlington holds them Tuesdays, the schedule is posted on the arlington web site.

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    Where to get gear locally

I want to participate in a 2 gun on Saturday but I need mag holsters. Anywhere in Carroll or Howard county to get them? Maybe a local kydex person?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom