• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to refinish a shotgun with almost no blue left. I just acquired an 870 Wingmaster in perfect mechanical shape. But it had been left in a case while wet. The previous owner renoved the rust with fine sand paper. Very little blue is left. I normally wouldnt have bothered with it but its an earlier 870 and the price was to good to walk by.
    Thanks for any ideas

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I am in the process of setting up my hot blue tanks, and hope to have them up and running in a month or so. Also there is parkerizing, which is much cheaper and requires less prep on the metal. I do parkerizing, and worked in with a batch of other parts could do the 870 for a reasonable price. It would look like the 870 express then though. If it has good metal, not deeply scratched or pitted, and being a wingmaster I would go with a blue finish. My advice would to be to avoid cold blues, as I haven't seen one yet that gave a good lasting finish. Rust bluing can be done at home, if you know how to do it properly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can try some spray on coatings such as Alumahyde II from Brownells. Its no too bad if you prep the metal properly, degrease it right and let it cure. Its isnt as durable as a professional job though.

We do a coating called Stealth Coating at our shop. its a ceramic based coating thats extremely durable. It is pricey though $225 for the whole shotgun.

You could try some other shops locally and get it parkerized too. Some guys do it pretty cheap $100-$150.

EDITED TO ADD; The poster above, MIDCOUNTYGUNSHOP is 100% correct. Good Info! (EDITED Typo, sorry midcountygunshop)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    You can try some spray on coatings such as Alumahyde II from Brownells. Its no too bad if you prep the metal properly, degrease it right and let it cure. Its isnt as durable as a professional job though.

We do a coating called Stealth Coating at our shop. its a ceramic based coating thats extremely durable. It is pricey though $225 for the whole shotgun.

You could try some other shops locally and get it parkerized too. Some guys do it pretty cheap $100-$150.

EDITED TO ADD; The poster above, MIDCOUNTYGUNSHOP is 100% correct. Good Info!

Fixed it for ya ;) ......or maybe you actually know him :innocent0

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    I am in the process of setting up my hot blue tanks, and hope to have them up and running in a month or so. Also there is parkerizing, which is much cheaper and requires less prep on the metal. I do parkerizing, and worked in with a batch of other parts could do the 870 for a reasonable price. It would look like the 870 express then though. If it has good metal, not deeply scratched or pitted, and being a wingmaster I would go with a blue finish. My advice would to be to avoid cold blues, as I haven't seen one yet that gave a good lasting finish. Rust bluing can be done at home, if you know how to do it properly.

I would be very interestedin that I also have A 541 T remington that I was given It was left in a garage for years and I have thought about redoing it this winter as a project. How much would we be talking in a package deal if I do the prep work

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I am sure we can work out a deal. Are you interested in the hot blue finish? I am not against you doing the prep work, but know what you are getting into before you do that. 90% of the results fall back on the prep work. If you want it to look perfect, the polish has to be perfect. Brownells sells rust and blue remover that can help shorten your prep time. You may want to bring them by first and let me see what it would take if I did them from start to finish. I don't want to nail down an exact price yet, as I am still getting set up, but I do want to get some projects lined up. When I fire everything up and get a batch going I want to have enough there to make it worth all the set up time. I have to get busy in shop, but pm me later and we will see wha we can set up.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    To do it right, a reblue of that gun will run between $175 and $225 depending on who does it and that's if there's no pitting to deal with.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On the other price end, the Brownells T4 gives much better results than typical consumer cold blues. Once upon a time I "accidentally" reblued an issued M15 that was totally devoid of finish ( but shot 1 in groups at 25yd). Wasn't as good as professional hot blue, but it was 2000% improvement. If I had to touch up every6 months of holster wear, my origional 16oz bottle would have held out for decades.
    You pays your money and takes your choice between "best" and "best bang for the buck"

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I've been spraying Duracoat and if you prep your rifle correctly you can get a great finish for 20$ and it is very reliable and pretty easy to spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom