• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    This has been discussed before in another thread. Technically, all FALs are illegal unless they are SBR'ed, but theoretically you could custom build an FAL in a caliber that is not original to the platform and attempt to claim it is not an FAL or a copycat based upon the core parts not being interchangeable. This, of course, would be extremely expensive and would not be guaranteed to work (and I would seek a letter from MSP prior to attempting).

You would be far better served seeking another platform or moving out of the state, sadly.

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    what would happen if someone bought the serialized upper as an other, and created a pistol fal? still no go? I have no interest and just wanted to play hypotheticals, kind of like how ar-pistol lowers are legal

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    First question would be whether the serialized upper has a <16" barrel. if its > 16" and is serialized, they will call it a rifle, so no bueno. Second question would be what the plan is for the lower. Can you even get a lower without a stock? Because you dont want to be an accidental felon with an unregistered SBR.

There are way better options for 308 pistols / rifles. Given how hard it is to get correct size mags, FAL has a cool piece of history factor but its not super practical.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Didn't Springfield market a .223 FAL a long time ago? I wonder if that would be exempt (ala non-5.56/.223 ARs)?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I confess, unless there is a redeeming quality (like collectibility or history) I dont get the idea of a 308 pistol with 11" barrel. There will be lots of unburnt powder, a killer flash, your suppressor may not handle it, and the ballistics aren't better than 7.62x39 or 300blk (which wont give you muzzle blast either). 300blk and 7.62x39 are cheaper to boot. 308 from an 11" barrel seems like a waste on many levels. Just get a 300blk with 11" barrel.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I confess, unless there is a redeeming quality (like collectibility or history) I dont get the idea of a 308 pistol with 11" barrel. There will be lots of unburnt powder, a killer flash, your suppressor may not handle it, and the ballistics aren't better than 7.62x39 or 300blk (which wont give you muzzle blast either). 300blk and 7.62x39 are cheaper to boot. 308 from an 11" barrel seems like a waste on many levels. Just get a 300blk with 11" barrel.

Unless they've fixed something, the DSA FALs with the really short barrels also had a reputation for being way over gassed and beating themselves to death.

chauncey

Feb 17, 2019
    Roller Locked

If you want a system that is not sensitive to barrel length, I would recommend the Delayed Blowback Roller Locked system used in HK-pattern rifles.

Unlike the M14 and FAL designs, gas flow in the Roller Locked design is regulated by the Locking Piece. Using the correct locking piece for the caliber and barrel length functions to provide the correct amount of gas (from blowback, in this case) to cycle the rifle.

I do have a PTR with an 8" barrel; it is functional, reliable and accurate to about 75 yds. It allows me to interchangeably use $2.00 mags and 308 ammo in a compact firearm similar in operation to my full size rifles (I don't live in MD).

It is my understanding that the energy from a 12" barrel in 7.62x51 is similar to that of a 16" barrel in 7.62x39. It is less for a 7.62x39 shooting out of a 12" barrel. Have to compare apples to apples.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    That's because both metric and standard are listed by name in the banned weapons list. "FN-FAL" AND "L1A1". Also SA-58. - Incorrect info.

Never had any issues getting FAL magazines, they're fairly common and the prices aren't too bad. The inch pattern L1A1 magazines are much rarer and more expensive. Inch pattern at least is a direct fit for .308 (not .303) Bren magazines but good luck finding those. They are at least constant curve unlike the straight DS Arms 30 rounders.

DS arms made a limited run of .243 Win rifles a long time ago. I've only found anecdotal reports of their release and have never heard of anyone who actually owns one and have certainly never seen one for sale. DS Arms was supposedly releasing one in 6.5 CM, I think I saw them advertised.

You can certainly buy just the receivers. I haven't shopped for one in a long time but they used to be all over the net, I'm sure you can still get them. Technically, if you find the right FFL, you could buy the receiver and transfer as an "other" with the intent being a pistol build. Then you could do pistol 15" barrel (take a 16" and lop it off since the gas system is fully adjustable - Class III Machining in Dallas can do this, crown, and rethread for probably around $100) and up to you whether you brace or SBR. You would need a lower receiver (unserialized part) designed for a folding stock, however, since the standard FAL has the recoil spring in the buttstock and the para variants had the recoil spring internally.

With a 15" barrel and the right flash hider or blast deflector it would probably be reasonable. .308 loses a lot in very short barrel lengths to where it becomes comparable to 7.62x39 so I wouldn't go much shorter than 14" or so. I used to conduct ballistics testing against armor using a variety of weapons and can say from experience that M80 ball from a G3K performs about the same as 7.62x39 M43 from an AK. Overall lengths are comparable due to the G3's ginormous receiver so it was my opinion that the AK was better than the G3K. M43 ball from AK was no penetration, M80 ball from a G3K was no penetration (same depth crater, little wider), M80 ball from a 22" barrel cleared two plates of the armor every single time.

I will confess that I am a fan of the FAL since it just has a special feel and handling characteristics that reminds me of a 1911 in the way everything just feels perfect (and no, I'm not a 1911 fan but I enjoy the way they feel). Ergonomics were light years ahead of their time and comparable to the M4. Very balanced and the recoil is more manageable than the M1A (much less bounce). I have an M1A as well and would take an FAL any day over that political disaster of a rifle. The only reason I haven't dumped the M1A is because I can't replace it in this state so it's a forever rifle for me. I don't hate it but it's got to be the most overrated rifle ever made and the FAL the most underrated.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    It is my understanding that the energy from a 12" barrel in 7.62x51 is similar to that of a 16" barrel in 7.62x39. It is less for a 7.62x39 shooting out of a 12" barrel. Have to compare apples to apples.

Sure, but 300blk was designed to get about 7.62x39 energy from a short barrel (9-12"), is cheaper than 308, and you can use standard ar15 mags and carry more than 308. A couple of 300blk loads will even get you 1400ft lbs (about 7.62x39 out of a 16" barrel) in a 10" barrel. And there won't be the flash etc you get from 7.62x51.

7.62x51 out of a short barrel really has no advantages over 300blk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom