• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    1st, I tried a search,, couldn't find any info.

I still have my AGC membership, but now that I have moved east, Middle River, looking for someplace close for pistol shooting. I stopped in yesterday (saturday) spoke to a couple guys who were waiting for 90mins + for a lane. Is this "normal" how about weekday evenings, 4pm or so?

Also, what are balt county laws for private property?

I rent a house from a family farming operation that has A LOT of property. I usually shoot steel, so rounds pretty much self destruct at the target. I am thinking of asking the landlord, (we have been here over a year, they are "gun friendly") if any of their land would be available for pistol shooting.

Thanks

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Ok, I'm clear here, but a couple close houses (ear range)I dont want to shoot here. I'll to have to find out IF they have other land and IF I can get the ok.

Funny thing is, I have been given the ok to rid the property of coyotes, but dont really want to go there, since it has been since the late 80s since I have had my hunting license, and coyotes weren't a problem then, not sure of the legalities of coyote hunting.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Long waits at Free State are not uncommon. A very popular place.

I find myself these days using Continental Arms. Been a long time since I had to wait there for a lane.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    1st, I tried a search,, couldn't find any info.

I still have my AGC membership, but now that I have moved east, Middle River, looking for someplace close for pistol shooting. I stopped in yesterday (saturday) spoke to a couple guys who were waiting for 90mins + for a lane. Is this "normal" how about weekday evenings, 4pm or so?

Also, what are balt county laws for private property?

I rent a house from a family farming operation that has A LOT of property. I usually shoot steel, so rounds pretty much self destruct at the target. I am thinking of asking the landlord, (we have been here over a year, they are "gun friendly") if any of their land would be available for pistol shooting.

Thanks

For Free State gun range, 90-120 minutes most often occurs on weekend afternoons to evenings. This is not always the case, but often enough that it is worthwhile to make a phone call to ask about the waiting list before driving over. There have also been weekend afternoons/evenings when I was able to walk right in and get assigned a lane.

Weekdays, particularly mornings through early afternoon, have much slower traffic.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    When it first opened i walked right in. After about a year I’ve had a few 90+ waits and with the hour drive there i said no more but am happy their business is flourishing

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    No centerfire rifle though correct? (Balt co)

You'd be better to call DNR and get the low down.

What I mean, is that the three season( bow, BP, and firearms) is generally for the whitetail seasons. Fur bearing might be totally different allowed weapons.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As I recall, there are areas in Balt county that are designated as metropolitan area. They have distinct boundary lines. You can not discharge firearms inside those boundaries. The lines are as bad as the gerrymandering. Each local precinct should have a map showing them. They should be available online as well.
    There are distance from dwelling rules as well. Make sure you have written concent from the owners too.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Long waits at Freestate are common. It's a very nice range and is very popular.
    That said, I could understand waiting a little on weekends to get a lane.

What I CANNOT STAND is waiting for a lane on weekdays. I understand they have a business to run. They have 12 lanes. On weekdays they will have Homeland Security practicing there or some private security guard agency
    there taking up 6 of the 12 lanes. It's best to call ahead.

I've been going to the BelAir Gun Range ( formerly Horst and McCann ) for the last few years. On weekdays I get a lane EVERY TIME I go. All the guys there are great especially the owner, Mike Horst.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I found an older copy of the map. Check for newer regulations.

Attachments

• BaltCountyMetroDistrictMapforPoliceDeptUse3-24-2014.pdf
      3.1 MB · Views: 139

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You'd be better to call DNR and get the low down.

What I mean, is that the three season( bow, BP, and firearms) is generally for the whitetail seasons. Fur bearing might be totally different allowed weapons.

No centerfire rifle though correct? (Balt co)

Yes and no, mostly no. http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping/

Firearms

Taking coyote, fisher, gray fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, red fox and skunk with firearms is subject to these regulations:

A shotgun may not hold more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
    Rifles and handguns may be used. Full metal-jacketed, incendiary, or tracer bullets may not be used.
    Muzzleloading rifles, shotguns and handguns may be used. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder. Muzzleloaders are considered unloaded if the ignition system is disabled by removal of the cap, primer, battery or primer powder.
    It is illegal to have a loaded firearm in, on or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire.

Centerfire rifles are generally ok except that there are local county rules that may apply. IDK if centerfire rifle is ok in your area of Baltimore County. I'd call DNR and ask. You will obviously still need a hunting license.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm a member of FreeState. If you go there on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday night between six and seven, the wait is either non existent or very short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Long waits at Freestate are common. It's a very nice range and is very popular.
    That said, I could understand waiting a little on weekends to get a lane.

What I CANNOT STAND is waiting for a lane on weekdays. I understand they have a business to run. They have 12 lanes. On weekdays they will have Homeland Security practicing there or some private security guard agency
    there taking up 6 of the 12 lanes. It's best to call ahead.

I've been going to the BelAir Gun Range ( formerly Horst and McCann ) for the last few years. On weekdays I get a lane EVERY TIME I go. All the guys there are great especially the owner, Mike Horst.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a member at Freestate, although I much prefer to shoot outdoors. I usually go straight from work, 3pm or so, and very rarely have any sort of wait. Half the time, I am the sole shooter for a short while.

I hate waiting for anything, I guess since I am getting older...Absolutely refuse to even try going there on weekends. Way too many inexperienced shooters, and simply too crowded.

One of my co-workers lives in Belair, and is a member at Belair Gun Range. He says that members there get priority for lanes...which is the way it should be IMO.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I'm a member of FreeState. If you go there on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday night between six and seven, the wait is either non existent or very short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! Maybe they've added 6 more lanes.
    :lol:

I never go on weeknights..I figured it would be crowded. I guess I just have bad luck at Freestate. I still won't go there.
    To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom