Should I shoot my test ladder with a warm barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I've made a ton of 9mm and .45acp at this point but I'm working up my first test ladder of .308 and it's my first crack at rifle rounds. Should I start with a couple mags of factory ammo to heat up the barrel of my ar10 first or does it even matter?I'm shooting these through an LR-308 with a 16" barrel at 100yds,I know it's no precision rifle but I'd like the tightest group I can get.I I'm working up about 50 rounds and I'm worried the barrel will change POI as I shoot.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I do 10 "warm up" rounds, not so much to warm up or foul the barrel, but more just to loosen up and get my head straight.

Just keep a steady pace, should be fine. No need to overthink things.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Thanks Mr.macc,you always seem to be there when I have a question. I owe you a brew or some BBQ at this point.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i like to fire factory ammo or a known good load to warm up the gun, myself, and provide a baseline for performance.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Look up and read the OCW method first. http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com

2) They way many long range shooters do it, is if you have a clean barrel, fires 2 - 5 rounds to foul. Then shoot your OCW rounds with 2 minutes between shots. This allows a cool, but not cold, bore for each shot and tends to eliminate POI shift from heating.

It is harder to keep a steady hot temp than a steady warm temp in the barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm split between Bradmacc and pinecone. I like to shoot a bit first to warm ME up. Then i'll switch to test gun, foul it, then start ladder.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Depending on your target size, I suggest also making some extra rounds to adjust zero so that your not WAY off if you are shooting 100 yards or more.
    On my AR, if I'm going from 55g to 69g or factory to reloads, they can differ by 6" or so @ 100 yards. I have been working with OCW method and I make about 6 extra loads in the middle of my reloads I'm testing and zero to that on a larger target, then do my OCW (or if you like to do ladder), on smaller targets that are numbered.

I know I'm shooting too fast if I can see distortion in my scope from the heat of the barrel rising up.
    If I get caught with a cease fire during load testing, I'll shoot 2-3 rounds of factory into the berm first.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It has been suggested to me by some people, that you should foul or warm with loads using the same powder as you are testing.

Not sure if I believe this, but just mentioning it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It has been suggested to me by some people, that you should foul or warm with loads using the same powder as you are testing.

Not sure if I believe this, but just mentioning it.

I could see some logic to that, in my .260 for example, I've noticed that some powder/charge combos burn cleaner/dirtier than others.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I'm probably not a good enough shot for that to help me but it makes sense. If I can get a good 2"-3" group I'll be happy. I'm guessing lighter loads would be better for that to keep them dirty and get a good coat of soot.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You're only as good as you think you are. A good deal of shooting well is mental, IMO.

Yeah, the equipment still has to do it's job as well, but the equipment still needs that bag of meat to squeeze the trigger.

First time out with rifle reloads, don't overthink things. You're getting your feet wet, try to enjoy yourself. Once your comfortable and confident, the groups will reflect that - then you can get really focused on shrinking those groups as much as you can.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    As suggested, I shoot a handful of rounds to get setup, verify impact on the target (sighted in), foul and warm the bore a bit. In cool weather, I wait 1 min at least between shots. In the heat of summer, I wait 2 mins between shots when shooting actual test loads. Helps keep the bbl more consistent and not tooo hot. ;)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't wait 2 mins before each shot? Maybe I might get better results lol

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't wait 2 mins before each shot? Maybe I might get better results lol

I don't either, but that's due to my impatience.

Haven't complained about how my rifle shoots, it's being held back by me. :)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't either, but that's due to my impatience.

Haven't complained about how my rifle shoots, it's being held back by me. :)

So there is at least 2 of us that dont. I shoot fclass and usually am cranking through rounds pretty quick...that was my reasoning for not letting it cool. I rarely shoot out of a cool barrel

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So there is at least 2 of us that dont. I shoot fclass and usually am cranking through rounds pretty quick...that was my reasoning for not letting it cool. I rarely shoot out of a cool barrel

I may do 20 to 45 seconds in between shots when I'm at the range, shooting outdoors with minimal cover - barrel gets plenty warm enough just sitting in the sun... :D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

Make it three. I either rectify or sell a rifle that is extremely temp sensitive. Extreme long range I can't say since I don't do that sort of shooting...not without a considerable "field trip"

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Are those that shoot warm up shots finding their POI changes? I'm curious, if I were to stay in position and have another shooter fire off 2 rnds in between my shots ,therefore warming the barrel, what would POI do? Gun dependent I'm sure. Good question!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, it is.

SERIOUS long range shooters start with a cold bore shot and record the POI every time they go to the range.

And then after that, shoot groups and look for POI shift with heating.

A properly free floated barrel, with a heavy barrel can reduce change in POI, but there may still be some.

A suppressor can add to that.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I do.. at least I want to know if that FIRST shot is off target and if so, by how much. Often it's just one shot on a live target, needs to be one shot, one kill. Not all, but some of my rifles will shoot a slightly different POI on the first, clean, cold bore shot. Some don't care unless it's cleaned, which is not very often for most of them.

My varmint 223 is very consistent, first, cold bore/cleaned barrel shot to the end of a 30rd mag, but.. it's a bull barrel and that helps out quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom