• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Over the past year I've been noticing a burr forming on the top front of the barrel on my P95 where it locks into the ejector port.Is this normal wear and tear and can I file it flush or should I call ruger,the gun has about 4000 rounds through it about 1000 of them handloads but I'm nowhere near max. I bought it new a year and a half ago but I've never noticed this on any other guns and accuracy has fallen off.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    A burr does nothing for the gun, use a small triangular file and shave it flush. It is quite possibly lead. Try picking at it first with a dental tool.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Its not in the chamber its on top of the block at the front where it meets the slide. The slide has peened it back before slipping up over when firing creating a heavy burr. 1415590358369.jpg

1415590530618.jpg

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    hmmm

If accuracy has fallen off that means that there is a problem with the lockup on your gun.

On guns that use the barrel hood as a locking lug having the dimensions on said barrel hood match perfectly with the slide is half of what makes repeatable groups- the other being good fit between the barrel bushing or front hole of the slide and the barrel's outside diameter.

I have just checked and on my P95 the barrel hood is straight and even all the way to the front end of the barrel hood. It appears your has a lip that is slightly above the level of the rest of the hood that is catching during cycling.

I'd file it flush, then get ruger involved if accuracy does not return, they will do right by you. They sure as hell have never let me down.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, if you file it, Ruger's hands are a bit tied in regards to the warranty. If you send it back as is, Ruger might send you a brand new gun. ;)

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    it could be that the barrel was not hardened properly, though I've never seen that before from ruger, properly hardened steel should not peen easily when interacting with similarly hardened metal. There were a few problems like this with the very early lone wolf glock barrels because the tenifer slide was so much harder than the non factory stainless barrel.

Could also be that the slide was not TEMPERED correctly, in which case it is too hard for use in the system as it lies. The way I see it, if the gun was functioning well then machining was probably within specs. either your barrel is too soft or your slide too hard.

Either way, ruger will fix it

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    whoo, didn't know it was there or that bad, DON'T FILE IT. Let your warranty get that fixed, you'll at least get a new barrel out of the deal.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I have a feeling you'll either be getting a new gun or yours will be completely rebuilt. That burring is severe.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Update:

I just got my ghetto blaster back. Ruger said the tolerance was too tight between the barrel block and the slide. They replaced the barrel,camblock assembly, and the slide so I basically have a spanking new gun and customer service was as outstanding as I've always heard. Turn around was seven days total including shipping time. Now I have to repolish my feed ramp and weasel out some range time with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom