Tactical Arms "Soul Reaper" anyone own or used?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    What is special about it? that warrants the $1000+ price tag. A good quality upper be can be built for less including smith time to check it out.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    What is special about it? that warrants the $1000+ price tag. A good quality upper be can be built for less including smith time to check it out.

The carbine model I'm looking at is about 730.00. The barrel looks very solid to me and it seems by the time I bought an upper, BCG, charging handle, parts, barrel, sights, etc... I'm going to be pushing 500-600. I do not own the tools to asseassemble things, I also do now own a vise, or table to work on things. Basically I'm looking at spending 700 to get everything I need most likely so I was looking in that price range and saw this. Figured I would ask if anyone had experience with them as I am unable to find reviews online.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    If you look closely at the picture, it seems that they've put a polymer MBUIS directly on the gas block. It's low compared to the rear sight on the carry handle, and could melt as the gun heats up.

I'd second going with Spikes or BCM; I'd add Colt to the list, since the 6920s seem to be trickling back into stock. I know Duffy's had a Wyndham carbine in stock a few weeks back; they're made by the old owner and team from Bushmaster. Palmetto State Armory is relatively inexpensive, and has a decent reputation.

The other thing to think about is whether you want to get a mid-length or not. They shoot "softer" than a carbine length gas system, but, as long as you have the lower(s), there's really no obstacle to getting both.

While many people like low profile gas blocks and long rails, I find the standard front sight base more aesthetically pleasing.

My $0.02

Last edited:

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    The way they mounted that buis it won't even close because of how close it is to the hand guard.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    but it has a cool tactical operator name. obviously if one buys it, one will lose the 200 or so pounds necessary to be at a healthy body weight, be able to move out of mom's basement, and actually go to the range some day to make their guns finally dirty so they don't have that new-in-box look when they take pictures of them for the internet.

plus, it has MAGPUL!!!!1one

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I would check with the IPs you can get a pre-assembled spikes for $700-800. Also check BCM and Rainier Arms. $1000 for pretty common setup upper is bit much IMHO. The "double" thick chrome lining seems wierd but I am not a gunsmith.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-M4-Upper-Group-s/28.htm

Rainier is a little more expensive but all the receivers are quality

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15completeuppers

Thanks for the links, i was also looking into an Adams Arms upper and able to find lots of info on those out on the interweb. The prices from Rainer are better than I was seeing a few places and think I am going with an Adams Arms AR-15 16" 5.56 Mid Length Base Complete Piston Upper - Base Model Mid Length

Have friend with a couple of piston uppers and I have always enjoyed shooting them. So it seems in my price range and well reviewed everyone. Not looking for a referendum on DI vs Mid vs Piston. This my first jump into the AR pool so trying absorb info and ask questions which was why I posted in the first place. Thanks to all who responded with actual helpful comments not just flapping their gums.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I'd spend the extra $250 and get a Colt or another name brand rifle.

at this point, ordering a rifle may or may not arrive in time for 1 october's deadline, and as the MSP have been two-stepping and changing their opinion on a nearly hourly basis about what will and won't be considered legal, many shops have stopped accepting transfers of (currently) regulated firearms.

thus, going with just uppers to put on currently-owned and grandfathered lowers is the more viable option for most folks. that said, i think it's been well-hashed that the "investment" linked in the OP would be a silly purchase when proven uppers such as BCM are less expensive and a known-good piece of kit.

xxgunnr

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2013
    It's one of the nicest uppers I own. I have purchased two more uppers because the quality is spot on, these guys know what they're doing. :-)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's one of the nicest uppers I own. I have purchased two more uppers because the quality is spot on, these guys know what they're doing. :-)

Lets see...

#1 They use an ALUMINUM Gas Block. They gas etch the ports leading to problems.

#2 Gas Block is CANTED

#3 The Gas Block does not appear to be PINNED. Set Screws are for Amateurs.

#4 Castle Nut is not staked

#5 Polymer Lower with a Magazine Grip Adaptor which can and often does lead to mags that wont drop free.

#6 Retainer Bolt for the MBUS Sight is MISSING

#7 Polymer BUIS mounted DIRECTLY to a Gas Block is a no-go

And thats just what I can see on a picture...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Lets see...

#2 Gas Block is CANTED

#5 Polymer Lower with a Magazine Grip Adaptor which can and often does lead to mags that wont drop free.

You forgot the most glaringly obvious part of all:

2 posts. Both of them singing the praises of this shoddy piece of "engineering".

Shill account? I ain't gonna point fingers, but.....maybe. :innocent0

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I once was 3rd runner up in a 5 person trivia tournament, so I might be over analyzing, but if they are using a barrel with nearly twice the chrome as a mil-spec M4 barrel, how can they call their barrel mil-spec???

But seriously if you want an M249 type barrel, buy a CHF upper from PSA, then get a BCG and handle from Bravo Co and a Troy rear sight and you will have a much better upper for less.

Or buy the Noveske for $800 in the WTB classifieds that no one has jumped on yet.

Or you could throw your money at a company that may or may not have someone make questionable reviews. It's cool that they are staffed by veterans, but as vets they should be well versed in attention to detail.

And let's remember that each time the rifle goes bang there is an explosion right by your face...

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Lets see...

#2 Gas Block is CANTED

Lets see...

#2 Gas Block is CANTED

And that's just what can be seen. God only knows what material they are using on their bolts.

I just don't understand it. With all of the options available to us in the AR world, people still want to purchase products from companies who aren't up front about what they sell and have no track record. Sorry but I'd prefer to play it safe.

What really blows my mind is that a BCM upper with a very nice free float rail could be had for about the same price.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom