• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Steel casing, but steel free projectile.

Finally you might be able to shoot Wolf indoors. I'm seeing this ammo for $199/1000 on sgammo.com right now.

TulAmmo is making gun owners happy this month.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This stuff isn't new, I've been shooting it since March 2019. Not sure why Tulammo insists on calling it new. Good stuff, but not as hot as M193.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    do you know what calibers they are making it in?
    .223 and 7.62x39, as per their catalog.

I may just be going off of prior prejudices but isn't steel bad for chambers and dirty as california?
    It's dirty, but it's not the only dirty ammo out there. Steel casing is not particularly rough on the chamber. Throat and gas port erosion are going to trash the barrel far faster than the steel casing will.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Steel is hard on extractors. So what, they are cheap. It's just most steel dont shoot worth a sh!t

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Steel is hard on extractors. So what, they are cheap. It's just most steel dont shoot worth a sh!t

During the "ammo scares", sometimes the steel cased stuff was all you could find and shoot. And you felt "lucky" actually getting some....

(If you weren't shooting back in 2014, you have NO IDEA how crazy it was to find AR food and especially .22... Go look at the ammo spotting threads for some idea....)

PERSONALLY, I shot a crap ton of Tulammo in my ARs, and have had exactly ZERO issue with it. I have also shot a lot of Wolf, and again no issues.

However, if you read reviews of both, TYPICALLY the Tulammo gets rated higher as being more reliable.

With regards to extractors, all of my ARs still function properly, but as was stated, if you were to have issues, it is $15 dollar part, and even if it wears out early, shooting steel cased will more than offset the the cost over time.

Regarding the non-steel core in Tulammo and being range safe, it depends on the "the range". Some use a magnet, and DON'T CARE if it's grabbing the case rather than the tip. Check before you go.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The extractor thing is overstated, unless you have a trashy soft extractor to start with. If people were busting extractors left and right due to steel case, we could have heard about it by now.

It's impossible to say whether Tulammo or Wolf or whatever is "more reliable", because all they do is import from other companies, and they DO change who they buy from on a lot by lot basis. Tula is basically the bottom of the barrel when it comes to .223. Barnaul is much better stuff. But you have to know who they've bought from to make that distinction.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    DAG Ammo has it for good prices at the Nation's show. The 7.62x39 is $220 OTD for a case. I got one last year and it works fine. I've shot it at my indoor range and also outdoors ringing steel at 200 and 300yd.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    The Tula range friendly I have is decent stuff, over 500 rounds and no issues and plenty good enough for action shooting. I think I paid 23 cents/round delivered from Targetsportsusa

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Will ranges accept it? Ranges I've been to won't let you use ammo if any part of it sticks to a magnet. Will Freestate accept it?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Will ranges accept it? Ranges I've been to won't let you use ammo if any part of it sticks to a magnet. Will Freestate accept it?

NRA and Peacemaker (for rifle steel targets) have. The RO usually comes over and reads the box when they see me pulling out an AK and loading up with steel case.

The ones that want to hoard your brass to resell probably won't.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

It has been a while since I shot at Freestate, but they had a huge magnet, and if it attracted your ammo, you couldn't shoot it there.

Things may have changed. Probably best to call them.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Any chance they sell this in 5.45x39? Most of what I have is old surplus 7n6 in the tuna cans.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I made a thread about this stuff awhile back, but I don't think it attracted a lot of interest. HOPEFULLY with a number of manufacturers standing up domestic production of 5.45 rifles that will change. Talking to Sam several months before all those new 5.45 guns were announced it sounded like it was a pretty big fail and he wasn't planning on ordering more of it.

Who knows, maybe we will even get some decent American made HD/hunting options in 5.45 in the next few years now that Hornady is selling brass.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

I have had one person there tell me they only care if the bullet is magnetic and this stuff would be fine, and another person say that if anything on the cartridge is magnetic you can't shoot it. That was in the same week.

So honestly, who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom