• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    I’m starting to look in va as well. My wife works in North Bethesda and they’re moving to downtown next year. I own a construction company and can go anywhere. We’re having trouble finding anything within a reasonable commute.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am doing apartment searching in the Chantilly area because the commute from edgewood is killing the pocket book. Apartment prices are stupid in NoVA and I can only imagine what housing is.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I am doing apartment searching in the Chantilly area because the commute from edgewood is killing the pocket book. Apartment prices are stupid in NoVA and I can only imagine what housing is.

I’d look at renting a town home in south riding. Looking at $2000-2200 with a garage.

Split it with someone else. $1100 each isn’t bad and south riding is nice.

Doing a lease right now for a client in south riding. $2100. 2 car garage town home.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm following this thread to make myself feel a whole lot better about what you get for 300k down here. :D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just make super, super, super sure you do a few commutes out and back in rush hour from any locations you're considering, so you're not surprised and stuck with something horrible. from what i've seen, coming into the beltway from the west (leesburg, ashburn etc along the toll road) is way better than from the south (manassas, gainesville, warrenton etc along rt 66).

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    What time do you wake up? The traffic on 66 can be AWFUL from 6:30-8:30 but it is not bad outside of those times. My parents live in Hume, VA and my Dad commutes downtown and either leaves at 6:00AM or at 8:20 and usually has no problems. The Marshall/Plains/Haymarket areas might work for you. I would avoid Front Royal it is pretty rough these days.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I've been looking into a move to either PA or NOVA for about 2 years. I was really hoping to finally make it happen this year, but I'm looking for a new teaching job from Howard County (maybe Baltimore County as well), Montgomery County to several NOVA school districts so I need to be sure of where I am working before I buy (at my current job, it would be a long commute, but I could do either NOVA or PA, but depending upon where I get a job, one or the other may be too far away).

Anyway, if you are looking for a 5BR in the $450K range, NOVA and frankly even central MD will be tough. If you want to generally be in the NOVA area, look at WV (Charlestown/Harpers Ferry area). Depending upon what you are looking for, maybe check the area between York and the MD border. In those areas, you'll be able to find a nice single family with plenty of room, and some land if you want it, in your price range. Both will give you much better gun laws than MD, along with better traffic and more conservative neighbors than NOVA or central MD. When you consider NOVA traffic, I'm not sure either WV or York would be a longer drive to Crofton than Ashburn, Sterling, or Leesburg (definitely in distance, probably not in time).

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Been told I hang lower than most.

Apologies to the OP. What happens in the VA forum stays in the VA forum :cool:

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    just make super, super, super sure you do a few commutes out and back in rush hour from any locations you're considering, so you're not surprised and stuck with something horrible. from what i've seen, coming into the beltway from the west (leesburg, ashburn etc along the toll road) is way better than from the south (manassas, gainesville, warrenton etc along rt 66).

This is true. I commute from Middletown to McLean every day. The toll road is much better than coming from the south. My commute can be anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours, usually in the middle, but I’m like 50 miles away. Guys in my office live 20 miles south of McLean and their commute can be longer than mine.

The summer is the only break. Tuesday seems to be the worst day.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    This is true. I commute from Middletown to McLean every day. The toll road is much better than coming from the south. My commute can be anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours, usually in the middle, but I’m like 50 miles away. Guys in my office live 20 miles south of McLean and their commute can be longer than mine.

The summer is the only break. Tuesday seems to be the worst day.

25 years ago I was living in Damascus MD and working in Herndon VA and if I didn't make it to River Road on 495 by 3:30 PM I was looking at at a 2.5 hour commute home instead of a 1 hour commute home.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    25 years ago I was living in Damascus MD and working in Herndon VA and if I didn't make it to River Road on 495 by 3:30 PM I was looking at at a 2.5 hour commute home instead of a 1 hour commute home.
    15, 16 years back I dated a lady who lived just this side of Ashburn for a few months. Nightmare traffic. Even during non-rush hour, traffic is usually heavy. Using the Beltway is even worse than 66. 60 miles to her house. An hour, hour, 10 min when I could catch the traffic just right....usually later at night. Anywhere from 1-1/2 hrs for anytime not in the later evening or middle of the night to 2.5 hours for anything right around rush hour....and that's not considering what can happen it there is an accident!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom