• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi, A couple of weeks ago I picked up this Harpers Ferry model 1795 flintlock at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show. The lock plate is dated 1809. It is in nice origiinal condition. The bore looks reasonably good with some light rust. I don't see any deep pitting. I have not tried to clean it. I would love to take it to the range and shoot it but I don't know if that is feasible for a 207 year old musket. I don't want to hurt it or me. Should I just hang it on the wall or give it a shot? I would like to hear your opinion.

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Really cool. I'd have to shoot it, just not with a full charge perhaps.

Thank you, I have several antique muzzle loaders but have never shot one. This is my first flintlock. The lock locks at half cock and full cock. I tried it once and it sparks well. I think that it should fire. I need to learn the basics of black powder before I give it a try.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks awesome. I've seen quite a few people that shoot their old muskets provided they were in good enough shape for it. I've been wanting to shoot my 1821 dated Swiss M1817/42 Musket and my 1817 dated M1817/42/59/67 Milbank-Amsler pretty bad. Both are fully capable of being shot, but they're in such good shape I don't want to risk breaking a part or in the M1817/42's case, getting it dirty. The bore is literally spotless.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    See any of these while you were there?
    00189_r.jpg

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Looks awesome. I've seen quite a few people that shoot their old muskets provided they were in good enough shape for it. I've been wanting to shoot my 1821 dated Swiss M1817/42 Musket and my 1817 dated M1817/42/59/67 Milbank-Amsler pretty bad. Both are fully capable of being shot, but they're in such good shape I don't want to risk breaking a part or in the M1817/42's case, getting it dirty. The bore is literally spotless.

Thanks, would it be worthwhile to purchase a reproduction frizzen to use when firing the musket so I don't wear out the original? Are there any other parts I should be concerned with? The stock looks sound enough to shoot. I share your concerns about damaging the gun.

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    See any of these while you were there?
    View attachment 174816

Wow, that is a real beauty! There may have been some at the show, but I did not see them. I bought a very nice Belgian reproduction Harpers Ferry pistol for a friend in 1980 for $40. In my opinion they are one of the most beautiful American pistols of that era.

Last edited:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Would love to find an actual one, but would be happy with a good replica. 2 would be better. Not sure about the $$

Sent from my semaphore enhanced stupid phone

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Would love to find an actual one, but would be happy with a good replica. 2 would be better. Not sure about the $$

Sent from my semaphore enhanced stupid phone

Interesting history on the Harpers Ferry model 1805 pistol. There were 4096 pistols manufactured but no one had ever documented one with a serial number higher that 2048. The mystery was solved in 1968 when two pistols were found with the same serial numbers. apparently they were only sold in pairs and both pistols in the pair bore the same number.

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    I would worry more about the mainspring than the frizzen.

Good point, that spring is one of the nicely refined features of the Harper's Ferry lock. It has beautiful filing at the end. I would hate to break the original. I am starting to have second thoughts. I may have to fire my period W.C. Bittle Philadelphia percussion rifle instead.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I must take my 1986 Parker Hale Threeband Enfield down from the wall and shoot it again. It's been years since I shot any black powder.

Just ordered 150 11mm bullets for my 71/84 Mauser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom