• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoMoreTreadingOnUs

Apr 2, 2013
    Garrett County
    My delegate is on the Judicial Proceedings committee. I would like to contact him to request his support for SB100 but I am not familiar with the committee process re pending bills. What, specifically, should I ask of him? I assume it is up to Zirkin to bring the bill to a vote, correct?

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    My phone calls usually go like this.

I would like to leave a message for the delete/senator. The delegate/senator is a member of the Judicial Proceedings Committee/Judiciary Committee as such he/she was kind enough to listen to testimony on bills being heard in committee last Tuesday/Thursday, I would like to encourage the delegate/senator to convince the chairman to bring up a few bills up for a committee vote. The bills I would like to be brought up for a vote are X,X,X.(usually get asksed something like name, are you a constiuant?) Unfortunately I do not live in the delegate/senator's district, therefore it is important that the bill leaves the committee so my respresentatives can represent me with their vote in the general assembly. Thank you.

Of course in your case, your senator is your representative. If they are a Rookie and I was just voted in I usually tell them to pass on "Congratulations".

I could be completely wrong but can generally get a feeling if the delegate/senator or his/her staff cares based on the following. If I never mentioned the bill number and they are ready to hangup, then they could care less.I have to interrupt and say "but I did not even tell you what bills." usually they know they got caught not giving a damn, and will at least proceed to pretend to write down the bills and then ask for me for my name. Then of course there are other offices they at least seem to be truly interested (Ds and Rs).
    Don't get discouraged, grow thick skin and keep pressing on. We will need you next year.
    OP thank you for making an effort and reaching out.
    Feel free to pick up some other tips on.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=171796

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    You are correct, but it is still important to email your senator because there is hardly any notice given that a vote is happening. You should also contact senator Zirkin and ask him to allow a vote.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    So times I get asked "Do you support this bill?" or "Favorable to this bills?"
    I respond yes, but I am actually more interested that the are brought to a committee vote so the citizen's voices can be heard, and not just desk-drawer vetoed.

NoMoreTreadingOnUs

Apr 2, 2013
    Garrett County
    Just called Brochin and Zirkin. Identified myself as living in Brochin's district and was treated very respectfully. When I mentioned SB100 from the tone in her voice it seemed as though they have heard from others like me. She asked for my name and number.

Zirkin's aide was also pleasant. Said that she was making a note of my request.

I doubt that either will be influenced. Hope I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom