• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Me and some buddies of mine are planning on taking a short canoe trip this coming weekend from Harpers Ferry to Point of Rocks. I have canoed from near brunswick to Point of rocks many times but have never started from Harpers Ferry. If any of you have done some canoeing or kayaking on this stretch I'm just wondering where you go to put in at Harpers ferry and if there is anything in that stretch of river I should be aware of. thanks.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nothing once you pass the R&T campground at the Brunswick MARC. The C&O is always on your left if you need to hike out.

Probably 5 hours easy paddling to Point of Rocks. You will see motorboats past Brunswick.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Nothing once you pass the R&T campground at the Brunswick MARC. The C&O is always on your left if you need to hike out.

Probably 5 hours easy paddling to Point of Rocks. You will see motorboats past Brunswick.

Thanks. We've done a lot of short trips from brunswick to Point of rocks. I was just trying to find out access points near Harpers Ferry. Sounds like the access point off the sandy hook road is what I'm looking for.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There's also a put in/ take out on the right just after you cross the Potomac on 340 but there aren't many parking spaces. I would try there first.

The pace is a little quicker to Brunswick than after, though only slightly so.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    There's also a put in/ take out on the right just after you cross the Potomac on 340 but there aren't many parking spaces. I would try there first.

The pace is a little quicker to Brunswick than after, though only slightly so.

Are you talking about that wide spot in the road right after you cross out of Md?

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    We'll be waitin'

Attachments

• toothless_redneck.jpg
      toothless_redneck.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 247

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Question: How competent of a canoer are you and your crew?
    The access at Sandy Point is terrible - not to mention Hit or miss-
    I did it once - and never again.
    If you have one good canoeist per craft, I'd consider going up the Shenandoah and put in at Millville. You go towards Charlestown, hang a left on Bloomery Road,
    then sniff out the obvious parking area.
    You have a mile of flatwater followed by a quickening class II then one class III -
    Bull Falls- followed by class II down to the Shenandoah Staircase ( there is all excellent fishing throughout this trip) below the 340 bridge, finish the Staircase at Harpers' Ferry,
    then onto the Potomac. Cross to the far side to catch Whitehorse (II- III)
    and then onto Brunswick, Lander, Point of Rocks, Mouth Of Monacacy - all excellent take - outs. I know the rivers quite well from Millville down to Great falls.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Are you talking about that wide spot in the road right after you cross out of Md?
    Yup I think he was - gotta get there early to get a spot. Across from the gas station.
    And above the steep take out (or put in).

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yup I think he was - gotta get there early to get a spot. Across from the gas station.
    And above the steep take out (or put in).

Yup went to check it out yesterday. looks like a great spot to start. Parking wont be a problem. We recruited some extra drivers to take the cars to our ending point.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Question: How competent of a canoer are you and your crew?
    The access at Sandy Point is terrible - not to mention Hit or miss-
    I did it once - and never again.
    If you have one good canoeist per craft, I'd consider going up the Shenandoah and put in at Millville. You go towards Charlestown, hang a left on Bloomery Road,
    then sniff out the obvious parking area.
    You have a mile of flatwater followed by a quickening class II then one class III -
    Bull Falls- followed by class II down to the Shenandoah Staircase ( there is all excellent fishing throughout this trip) below the 340 bridge, finish the Staircase at Harpers' Ferry,
    then onto the Potomac. Cross to the far side to catch Whitehorse (II- III)
    and then onto Brunswick, Lander, Point of Rocks, Mouth Of Monacacy - all excellent take - outs. I know the rivers quite well from Millville down to Great falls.

Yeah i looked at the sandy hook access point and I agree.It's not really an acess point at all. we'll be putting in across the river. I have canoed a fair bit on the potomac and on some fairly challenging rivers in Canada, but a few of the guys going with me are pretty inexperienced so I just want to take them on a pretty easy strech for now. We have two canoes, i'm piloting one but the guy piloting the other i'm not sure of his level. He has some experience but not a lot so we're keeping it simple. Not that I'm an expert myself or anything, far from it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom