• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave67

Oct 31, 2012
    The wife has agreed to let Santa bring me a new weapon. I have chosen an AR style rifle. I am just not sure which one to get. I have looked at the Bushmaster M4 Moe, Precision Firearms Entry, Colt LE6920, S&M MP15(not the sport). All are round the $1100 range, Santa's helpers would like something a little less expensive. I have looked at the S&M MP 15 sport, didn't really like it. I was also thinking of a Stag model 3. Can anyone give their opinions on any of these weapons? Or if there is some that I missed. I don't want to build my own, and would like to get from a shop, not the net.
    Thanks

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I would have said build your own as you will gain much knowledge and appreciation doing it this way. However since that is not an option for you, out of the ones you mentioned...my vote goes to the Stag Arms.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    PSA is a great entry level AR and can probably be had for $700-$800 unless the price has drastically increased since i purchased mine six months ago.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Just my suggestion...buy parts as assemble yourself. You will get a pre made and throw half the extras away.

Also - check out the Carbon 15. Bushmaster flat top with red dot for around $700.

Dave67

Oct 31, 2012
    I am hurrying. I hope to have one order/ bought this weekend. I have a local shop that has a Model 2 in stock, checking it out tomorrow. Got to get it before the gun Nazi go crazy.
    At least my M14 EBR can be a good back up.

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    How about Windham weaponry? The same person who built the Bushmaster brand started Windham weaponry. Apparently they are built really well and I've seen them on gun broker for like $800.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Just my suggestion...buy parts as assemble yourself. You will get a pre made and throw half the extras away.

This is the truth. I would buy a complete upper and build a lower. I have changed just about everything but the trigger on my RRA lower. Only reason I haven't changed that is it came with their 2 stage in it and it is better than me at this point. I got a complete upper from PSA, ordered it with the MOE hardguard installed and put a BUIS on it and have had rock solid reliability so far. I love my B.A.D. lever. :D

johny357

Sep 7, 2009
    Spikes tactical complete rifles run around $800. A lot of bang for your buck. Will probably be backordered with all the craziness going on.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I agree with the build it comments. With your budget you could build a basic carbine and still have some $$$ for an optic. I got mine functional for under $800, using name brand parts. Since then I've spent a good bit more on accessories, but that's another story :D

For other brands, Spikes, CMMG, and Windham are all good to go.

KimuraFTW

Jul 20, 2012
    Clinton, MD
    I agree with the build it comments. With your budget you could build a basic carbine and still have some $$$ for an optic. I got mine functional for under $800, using name brand parts. Since then I've spent a good bit more on accessories, but that's another story :D

For other brands, Spikes, CMMG, and Windham are all good to go.

I'm building one now and the cost just keeps going up... :o

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I am hurrying. I hope to have one order/ bought this weekend. I have a local shop that has a Model 2 in stock, checking it out tomorrow. Got to get it before the gun Nazi go crazy.
    At least my M14 EBR can be a good back up.

It's not likely in stock anymore. Gun shops are going crazy.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    From the ones you listed, I'd pick the colt, for sure. I suggest you buy a complete as your first, so you get to know the workings, how its put together, etc. After you know it inside and out, it'll be simple to build the next one...

Oh yeah, there will be a next one :D

Also, of the brands you listed, if you don't settle on colt, I'd pick up a stag. They have great customer service and a lifetime warranty. :thumbsup:

Dave67

Oct 31, 2012
    The Stag is listed as 5.56. Will it also shoot .223? With my luck I get the AR and thd 5.56 ammo will be banned.
    I am very sorry the loss of life, but I am tired of the weapon being blamed.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The Stag is listed as 5.56. Will it also shoot .223? With my luck I get the AR and thd 5.56 ammo will be banned.

5.56 chambers can fire .223.

.223 chambers should not fire 5.56 though.

You want a 5.56 ideally.

Dave67

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I am going shopping tonight. I will try snd beat the ban that looks to becoming again.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Stag makes some great AR's. Only half of one of mine is Stag (upper) but it's rock solid. Their parent company has been supplying the AR-15/ M16 industry both for the government and civilians since Vietnam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom