• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have that same upper.

I was very impressed by the accuracy it gave me with 75gr TAP.

I have 2 boxes of Hornaday 75 gr BTHP Match which I was thinking about using... until I remembered how much it cost .... next mod a is reloading press.

EWO

AGC / Monumental Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Ellicott City MD
    Had a chance to shoot this today while it was blowing wind and flurrying ..

@100 yards using 55gr PMC

dsc03851.jpg

dsc03852.jpg

Cool! :thumbsup: Might be doing something very similar to your setup soon.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Took some time off today....

used 75gr .223 Hornady Match BTHP @100 yards, Acog 4x32

Noticeable difference in grouping vs 55gr

dsc03855-1.jpg

dsc03856-2.jpg

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    What is so good about the full auto bcg? Is it lighter or made better?

There are numerous reasons why it is more desirable to have a FA or M16 BCG in your semi-auto AR. The easiest way to explain it is from a systems engineering perspective. Eugene Stoner designed the M16 as a system. Everything about that system including the ammunition and magazines were in harmony or balanced. When you make changes to a system without consideration to the impacts of those changes to the other parts of the system, you are asking for trouble. The M16 got a bad reputation in Vietnam for reliability. That reputation follows it to this day and it is an unfair reputation. The bulk of the problems in Vietnam were due to Army logisticians changing the powder in 5.56mm ammunition without consideration to the impacts on the M16 as a system. The same is true for the BCG. A semi-auto BCG has mass cut from it. That original system was balanced and the weight of that BCG was important to that balance. When you make that carrier lighter, you increase the speed that it travels when driven rearward in the firing sequence. You have a buffer and spring that were designed to deal with a given mass traveling at a given speed and now it is different. Get the picture?

The military has driven improvements to the system over the years including heavier projectiles, different twist rates, improved extraction, different buffer weights, etc.. Those changes have made it out into the civilian market for the most part. Regardless of the other changes, the military is using FA BCGs. The trigger pack is different in a semi, but it isn't going to drastically impact the performance of the weapon unless you have something impeding the travel of the BCG. Keeping that FA BCG is going to keep that system in balance with all those other changes. I hope this makes sense.

gotm4

Apr 25, 2010
    NoVA
    This statement about going with a Hammer forged barrel if the rifle could be used for protecting your life is hilarious. Where do people get this crap from?

I'm not trying to start crap with you but you're not correct...sorry.

Hammer Forged is a New Buzz Word in the EBR Industry but not a new concept and there are some benefits but being better at protecting your life is not a line item on the benefits chart.

Ask Mark LaRue...I think he knows a little bit about Barrels

http://larueosr.com/lt556-18.aspx

And LMT seems to not have caught on to the CHF Barrel craze either

http://www.lmtstore.com/cqb-mrp-barrel.html

And Our Military seems to think Chrome Lined barrels are good enough to protect the lives of our troops.
    http://www.colt.com/mil/M4_2.asp

I just wanted to actually provide some data to back up what I'm stating

FWIW your very accurate KAC SR15E3 has a 'Colt Canada' hammer forged 1x7 twist barrel.....just sayin' ;)

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I knows it Robb... noticeably more accurate than my CMMG non hammer forged barrel in my Middy. But both will smoke a bad guy the same :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom