• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Going to put a fixed power 4 or 6 on my AR flat top. What type or height rings or "sled" will I need to make sure I don't have the front site in the picture. I do not want to go any higher then I need to. It can be a combo. I am not even at all interested in Trij or any of that real expensive stuff.
    Just in case I have to defend my house some day with a shtf scenario with 60 year old eyes. Thanks guys

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Going to put a fixed power 4 or 6 on my AR flat top. What type or height rings or "sled" will I need to make sure I don't have the front site in the picture. I do not want to go any higher then I need to. It can be a combo. I am not even at all interested in Trij or any of that real expensive stuff.
    Just in case I have to defend my house some day with a shtf scenario with 60 year old eyes. Thanks guys

I dont know. But I went up to bass pro in Anne Arundel County and the gun shop guys were super helpful with scope information in the past. If your over that way try them.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Three suggestion pure home defense go with a simple red dot. Hi Lux red dot. Or max go to a Burris 332 for home defenses you can still shoot two eyes open as magnification is not that far off. Put it on a 1/2” riser and you can co witness with hard sights if you have a post. If you are looking to use it for range plinking and such and you would like longer target acquisition, I would go with a PREPER cantilevered mount and a 1*8 x24 Vortex Strike eagle. I have all three. Each serves it purpose. Just depends what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    the front sight will be obscured with a magnified sight. It should not be an issue. Co-witness or lower 1/3 will both work.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD

You mentioned “60 year old eyes”. Do you have astigmatism? If you do, red dots aren’t great. My AimPoint Comp M3 looks like a starburst/sun. I find EoTechs a little clearer. You can cowitness the bottom 1/3 like I do with my Aimpoint. See the below of my DD M4V1 with the AimPoint in a LaRue mount, 1/3 cowitness. It should give you an idea of the height.

You get a lot for your money with Vortex scopes. Check them out.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 0A8B3157-478E-4748-82E1-8FDD83124F6D.jpg
      0A8B3157-478E-4748-82E1-8FDD83124F6D.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 528

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The guys at inrange looked at a bunch of different optics for their What Would Stoner Do Project (Updated AR build). They liked a red dot with a magnifier the best. They also like a 1-4 vari-power scope. They also tested fixed power scopes but did not like them due to the various distances they wanted to optimize.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You have to go very high to not see the front sight in the scope.

Your choices are to remove the front sight, or ignore it. I don't even notice the front sight when shooting. If I look for it, I can see it.

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    Vortex PST 1-4. Great bang for buck.

Then get their lightweight cantilever mount. I haven’t had any issues with either

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    USAMU recommends 1-4 or 1-6 scopes these days instead of Eotechs and magnifiers for DMR builds because the magnifier magnifys the dot also sometimes making it too big for accuracy. Also why I did not like FFP scopes when I was shooting 3-gun. I used the Burris MTAC 1-4x and latter added the 1.5-6x version. Now I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x on one of my rifles and that works for me also. All that being said in the case of HD often times a good red dot is all you need as long as you practice with it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Variable 1-4/6/8 scopes have a lot of advantages at close range over fixed power, Have a couple Vortex PST/PST2s and strike eagles, and they are great for the money. The older 1-6 strike eagle can be found for under $250, and is about the least expensive scope that I can comfortably shoot at 1X with both eyes open at close range like a red-dot. Most anything cheaper has enough distortion to make it difficult, better scopes usually have a flatter/clearer image. The Nikon BF1000 1-4 probably has the flattest / true unmagnified image till you get around $700 Trijicon and Vortex models, but I'm not a fan of the reticle. Illuminated reticles are pointless IMO until you get into daylight bright models around $700, but even then the usual CR2032 batteries only last a few hours before going dead. The main issue with red dots is that most have to be turned on, or have a short battery life, Aimpoint PRO, and the Holosun / PA / Sig Romeo4 red dots can be left on for years, and will be ready as soon as you need them, as much as I love EoTechs, I only run them on range / comp rifles and not defensive ones as they take time to turn on, adjust brightness, and batteries don't last long. Being truly unmagnified, red dots are the easiest to shoot with both eyes open, and even if they don't work, sighting through the tube will get you on target at close range. There is a trick to use a magnified scope, or even a red-dot with the front cap closed at close range, basically keeping both eyes open, your brain will help line up the reticle it sees with one eye with the target it sees with the other, takes some practice, but it works, and is important to consider with optics that can fog or fail.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I have a Leupold vx-5hd-1-5x24mm scope in a Badger Ordnance 30 MM RECON UNIMOUNT - (1.54") on my DPMS GII Recon. I don't have a front sight post but at one power with the BUIS popped up it bothered me so I removed it. I love it. Little pricey though.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * Warning - Old School, Old Fart *

Fixed 2.5 - 3X .

Wide enough field of to not be limiting target aquisition , as long as the gun vaguely fits you . Enough magnification to be useful .

Over the years wanted to like the idea of low power variables . But by the time that you the optical degradation at either end of the range ( say 0-1x and 3-4x ) you are right back in same territory as a fixed 2.5x .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    * Warning - Old School, Old Fart *

Fixed 2.5 - 3X .

Wide enough field of to not be limiting target aquisition , as long as the gun vaguely fits you . Enough magnification to be useful .

Over the years wanted to like the idea of low power variables . But by the time that you the optical degradation at either end of the range ( say 0-1x and 3-4x ) you are right back in same territory as a fixed 2.5x .

Old school sometimes is best not all the time...but most
    acquire quickly main goal, wide field of view as you said
    slap a high power scope on there and see want happens
    spend to much time "trying" to find /see the target, then
    it's too late... variable 1-6 or fixed say 2.5 or 4x. just a thought

and ole school here... the least amount of "crap" hanging
    on it, that's one less thing to worry about, JMO
    -Rock

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Check out Primary Arms for both fixed mag (3 and 5X) scopes or variable mag 1-6X. Great reticle systems. They have mounting options for both and you can call them for recommendations on the appropriate height for your back up sights.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x24mm-sfp-gen-iii-lpvo-rifle-scope-with-sfp-acss-556-reticle-black

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-gen-ii-3x-compact-prism-scope-acss-cqb-m2-5-56-nato-reticle-black

I have this on 1 of my favorite AR builds. I LOVE the reticle. They do offer the ACSS reticle without magnification as well.

Attachments

• acssdownload.jpg
      acssdownload.jpg
      25 KB · Views: 152
    • acss1download.jpg
      acss1download.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 170

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members