Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Scary read. Canada, of course, never fought a revolution for their independence. They were granted significant autonomy by the British Parliament in the late 1860s, which, I believe, ratified the Canadian Constitution. Although procedural in nature, Canada took control of their Constitution and amendment process only in the early 1980s. It is a country that partly carries this colonist mindset (although I'm sure many of its citizens do not) with rights being granted by government and not being protections from it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    There was talk of a total handgun ban in the United States that was serious back in the 1970s and 1980s as well. And back in the 1990's our own state AG Mr.Frothy introduced a general handgun ban bill for the state when he was a delegate. Don't think it can't happen here.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've got a question for any md resident that thinks any gun ban can't happen here..... Do you regularly carry concealed everywhere you go right now?(don't answer of course). Md residents right now comply on a large scale with unconstitutional infringements that leave them unarmed when they leave their homes. Just food for thought about how willing our population is actually to stop gun bans.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I've got a question for any md resident that thinks any gun ban can't happen here..... Do you regularly carry concealed everywhere you go right now?(don't answer of course). Md residents right now comply on a large scale with unconstitutional infringements that leave them unarmed when they leave their homes. Just food for thought about how willing our population is actually to stop gun bans.

Unless I'm going someplace like Redstone Arsenal I always carry but then I live in Free America. Y'all should visit, it's really nice here.

Last edited:

JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    There was talk of a total handgun ban in the United States that was serious back in the 1970s and 1980s as well. And back in the 1990's our own state AG Mr.Frothy introduced a general handgun ban bill for the state when he was a delegate. Don't think it can't happen here.
    What are handguns more legislated than long guns? Is it a concealment thing?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    DsKt3h4XoAAuWZQ.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It was a serious thing in the 1960's to early '70s ( Md's 1972 Carry Statute started out as effort for total ban , the resultant Carry Permit scheme was the resultant compromise .)

It was a serious thing in the 1930s . ( What became the NFA , started out as ban on almost all firearms . Led by the NRA, only the " gangster guns " in period terminology were effected ***

In the early 1900's , there was a serious movement to ban handguns . New York's 1911 Sullivan Act is the most well known from that era .

The United States Revolver Assn ( USRA ) was involved in the drafting of a Model of a " Uniform Pistol and Revolver Act " ( Think UCC , and efforts to have similar state laws involving commerce ) . The USRA then actively promoted it in the various states . This was the era that created the concepts of concealed carry permits , and of creating the norms of fairly easy to purchase, but packing heat was to be unusual, and with a Permit .

Vermont was the only State to come out of that era without a Permit scheme of some sort ( or general ban on civillan concealment) but they varied from state to state, and a handful of states resembled modern shall issue .

But actually 1980s didn't have serious efforts for a general banning of handguns . Early '80s concentrated on so-called Saturday Nite Spls , and late '80s beginning EBRs .

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Sorta remember that period. Due to large face to face purchasing of
    what was called "Saturday Night Specials."!

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Serious question: What did the Nova Scotia guy use? I think I had read he used the mountie's gun at some point. (No idea what mountie's carry.)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

It can absolutely happen here if enough people don't give a shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom