• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nothing this morning. Though I did hear the mother of all flocks of turkeys decamp their overnight roosts. Must have been a quarter mile down the valley from me. Time to move around a little.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I’ve hunted 8 times and not seen a single deer. There are signs of them everywhere—I can almost walk a continuous trail all the way around the property without losing sight of signs of their travel paths. They are obviously only coming into this property at night and my trail camera shows the same.

Last year I did not see a single deer in the woods during all of shotgun and muzzleloader seasons. It looks like this is going to be the same this year. I either need to find somewhere else to hunt other than my father in law’s like I used to have and lost, or hang up my boots. I came to the realization this morning that this just isn’t fun anymore.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    almost all of last years deer ;)

Attachments

• 1207181156.jpg
      1207181156.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 203

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Literally not one damned deer this morning in Carroll County. First time of nine outings there this year I haven’t at least seen deer there, even if out of range for a clean shot... I had high hopes, now the only things high are my tenders from freezing

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Of course the only deer I saw were the two I bumped about a quarter mile from where I was/am going to sit for the evening. Same spot as this morning. I did see one really old turkey or I am guessing it is. Spur looks bug an curves and it looks like it’s eyes are swollen shut. It didn’t fly off when I got right under it and it kept cocking it’s head when I made noise but I didn’t see it’s eyes open.

If it was only turkey season...le sigh

Attachments

• BB1D580B-D81C-44CA-98EB-A4EAB64F8D86.jpg
      BB1D580B-D81C-44CA-98EB-A4EAB64F8D86.jpg
      141.4 KB · Views: 189
    • 01F08F1C-2A1D-4885-9713-64FEA685816D.jpg
      01F08F1C-2A1D-4885-9713-64FEA685816D.jpg
      91.6 KB · Views: 204

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Took a doe this morning with my 300AAC. Considering the beautiful, cold, calm morning we had, deer movement was slow. Could have had a couple more, but I was a guest and didn't want to overstay my welcome.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nothing tonight. Not even very many gunshots in Green Ridge this evening. This morning I’d call it typical if maybe a bit slow. Tonight it was dead. I doubt there were 10 gun shots from 3pm on. Basically nothing from about 10am till 3pm. Maybe a couple that sounded like they came from WV (I’ve been hunting near the river)

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    They finally stopped logging the farm to the east. I hunted the farm edge to the west. That other farmer decided to spread manure at 2:30. Boy was I a bit pissed. But figured they are used to his tractor getting round bails every night for the cows. The fourth trip the deer must have got tired of the tractor and headed my way. A whole bunch of does. I picked one and dropped her.

These pictures to show what the hornady SST rounds on .30-06 did. Bullet entered the heart and opened the other side like a flower. I am not sure the bullet even exited

Yea it’s a bit gross but that bullet was awesome

Attachments

• 97BA3055-1C5C-40CA-8E7A-865A60C2C6AE.jpg
      97BA3055-1C5C-40CA-8E7A-865A60C2C6AE.jpg
      124.6 KB · Views: 176
    • DFDA9556-5984-43F2-AA37-5ED7994D16BB.jpg
      DFDA9556-5984-43F2-AA37-5ED7994D16BB.jpg
      139.2 KB · Views: 178
    Last edited:

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    They finally stopped logging the farm to the east. I hunted the farm edge to the east. That other farmer decided to spread manure at 2:30. Boy was I a bit pissed. But figured they are used to his tractor getting round bails every night for the cows. The fourth trip the deer must have got tired of the tractor and headed my way. A whole bunch of does. I picked one and dropped her.

These pictures to show what the hornady SST rounds on .30-06 did. Bullet entered the heart and opened the other side like a flower. I am not sure the bullet even exited

Looks like you got to the heart of the matter. Congratulations

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    They finally stopped logging the farm to the east. I hunted the farm edge to the east. That other farmer decided to spread manure at 2:30. Boy was I a bit pissed. But figured they are used to his tractor getting round bails every night for the cows. The fourth trip the deer must have got tired of the tractor and headed my way. A whole bunch of does. I picked one and dropped her.

Nice shot (Archery?) Rob.........

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    They are not coming to my corn during the day anymore. Seems like they are stressed in the hunting areas

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Yea, its gun season, not archery season. I could have not made this shot with a bow. It was 70 yards and had a 2" opening between a split Y tree and she started stomping as the yearlings spotted me. I just said "send it" and got down and check the tree and no hits or scratches. Yup, she's dead.

I bought the knife blank at the Market Fair at fort Frederick. I got the blank for $20 and has some cherry burl to make handles. It hold an edge really nicely. My daughter butchered her deer with it and now I have to make her one too. Not such a bad request. ;)

Here is the entire blog post on making the knife if you want to read it. And then making the sheath too.

The best part is now is my buddy is forging a drop pointed knife for my daughter. He says he can be done Friday or Saturday and then I have to make scales and a sheath for her. Hope to make a combined Christmas present from him and I. Best part is she has no clue. Hopefully it can happen. I can hunt after Christmas.

A pic of the knife
    small-skinner-5.jpg

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Hunted WV today and were it not for the coyote I saw at first light I would have seen zero wildlife.

My first encounter with a coyote and it had me wondering if it being in the area was enough for the deer to vacate the area or was it just a slow overall day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom