• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    IMHO - the AR 15 is a better sporting rifle; accurate and highly customizable. To me, the AK is a great rifle if you are a mercenary who needs a cheap to maintain, reliable, bullet sprayer. I think the AK is an effective close quarters killer, with a round that has enough punch to go through walls and other forms of cover. The AK would also be a good home defense weapon. But I don't think it has the accuracy of an AR15. I don't think it's rate of fire can match an M16.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    IMHO - the AR 15 is a better sporting rifle; accurate and highly customizable. - But I don't think it has the accuracy of an AR15. I don't think it's rate of fire can match an M16.

The AR platform definitely has the superior range of custom options including target barrels that you will not as easily find for the AK platform. Same for target triggers etc; AR is the 10/22 of centerfire.

Not sure rate of fire is the end all.

To the OP original question ... no doubt the AR can be set up for lighter recoil.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    IMHO - the AR 15 is a better sporting rifle; accurate and highly customizable. To me, the AK is a great rifle if you are a mercenary who needs a cheap to maintain, reliable, bullet sprayer. I think the AK is an effective close quarters killer, with a round that has enough punch to go through walls and other forms of cover. The AK would also be a good home defense weapon. But I don't think it has the accuracy of an AR15. I don't think it's rate of fire can match an M16.

Have you heard of the AK-74?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Fair enough. I'll grab a minigun, you grab a 700, we'll see who gets more lead downrange in 5 minutes....and i'll give you a 4:30 head start. ;)

You haven't seen the videos of the MG vs the lever gun have you?

Hitting something significant is more important than running ammo thru the gun.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Recoil: ak has more

"Better": you're comparing a pickup truck to a Ferrari. If you want to move a lawnmower, pickup truck, if you're going to race, take the Ferrari.

For a professional army that is properly equipped and trained, M16. For illiterate peasants whose "training" is rudimentary to the point of non-existent and whose cleaning kit consists of shoelaces and motor oil, AK47.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    "Better": you're comparing a pickup truck to a Ferrari. If you want to move a lawnmower, pickup truck, if you're going to race, take the Ferrari.

The only reason Enzo built road cars was to finance his racing hobby. Quality wasn't really a requirement. They're pretty, and the performance is spectacular, right up until lap 3 when they make a phenomenal bang and then stop working. :lol2:

How many auto makers recommend changing the timing belt at 15,000 (or even 30,000) miles? Not the best example. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom