• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This thread will be where we put up the information for the 6th of February events in Annapolis.

It will remain locked in order to avoid confusion and will make it easy for the membership to simply link to this thread.

Event coordinators may PM with corrections and updates and I will make those happen here.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but we need a clear message without the ensuing discussion.

Discussion threads located as follows:
    SB281 Gun Ban
    HB294 House Gun Ban
    HB375 Dealers Licensing and Record Keeping
    HB383 Gun Shops Security Requirements for Regulated Firearms
    SB 382-Mental Health Bill

Last edited:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Rally in Annapolis for Your Rights

February 6, 2013.
    Lawyers Mall/Maryland State House
    100 State Circle, Annapolis, Maryland 21401

We would like people to start showing up at 11:00am. There is no set end time. We are staying until they hear each and every testimony.

Please Spread the word!!!!

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/112556072255600

WE ASK THAT:
    *No open holsters
    *Dress is business or business casual. Let's make a good impression by not playing into the stereotypes that they expect.
    * This is a family-friendly event.
    * We are encourage a positive image so the public & any media present sees gun owners in a positive light.
    * The permit is for a collaboration of groups, such as MSI, NRA, AGC, MSSA. Our permit is supplied by lawmakers who asked NRA and MSI to coordinate with several groups. Counter-Protesters or other organizers are not permitted in our designated demonstration area. Capital Police will be contacted immediately for any disturbances.
    *Signs on STICKS are forbidden by Capital Police. NO STICKS PLEASE!
    * Please do not litter - everyone is responsible for keeping grounds clean. No affixing anything on the property.
    * Annapolis & State of MD LAWS-including GUN laws MUST BE FOLLOWED. Violators are responsible for their own actions. Organizers assume no liability.
    * The use of electrical outlets on the property is prohibited.

Last edited:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Parking for Annapolis Events:

• Parking is at a premium in downtown Annapolis.
    • The easiest way to park is to park at the Navy/Marine Corps stadium (exit 24 off of RT 50). Parking is $5.00.
    • Catch the shuttle ($3.00 this year).
    • Ask the driver to let you off at the House or Senate Building, or Lawyers Mall respectively. It's all the same stop.
    • There are parking garages near downtown but they fill up fast
    • If you have a tall vehicle (over 6ft) you will need to park at the stadium lot because of height restrictions in the garages.
    • There is 9 hour on street parking on King George St, north of College Avenue, but it fills up very fast. The 4th picture below shows the parking, it's relationship to the legislative complex and the suggested path of travel from King George St to College Ave.
    • Plan your arrival to be at the hearing location by noon.

Parking Places In Annapolis:

First photo is Navy Marine Corps Stadium Parking and a general lay of the land of the larger Annapolis area.
    Second photo is more downtown specific.

In the 2nd photo, the tips of the arrows show the approximate entrance to the respective buildings, both of which are on Bladen Street.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 2.08.12 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 2.08.12 PM.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 2,844
    • Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 7.54.54 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 7.54.54 PM.jpg
      102.6 KB · Views: 2,729
    • Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 3.33.16 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 3.33.16 AM.jpg
      102.1 KB · Views: 2,802
    • Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 6.00.41 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 6.00.41 AM.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 2,269
    Last edited:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    How to Testify In Annapolis:

• Pass through security with a photo ID. Treat this as you would airport security.
    • Go to hearing room and stake your claim for a seat
    • If submitting written testimony, you will need 35 copies for the House and 20 copies for the Senate.
    • Written testimony must be submitted by 11:00am
    • Dress is business casual or business suits. Let's not play into their stereotypes.
    • Sign up sheets are inside the hearing room. Sign up to register your position, even if you don't intend to speak.
    • Typically, the representatives of the major gun groups speak first because they have a coordinated plan for testimony.
    • When you speak, be concise, polite and stay on a single topic. If the day is getting long (and Feb 6 will be a long day), it's OK to just say, "I support/oppose this bill".

Links To Help You:
    Attending a Committee Hearing
    Security Procedures
    Map of Legislative Complex

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Added the King George St. parking information. About a 10 minute walk and it's free if you can get to it.
    Added testimony primer
    Added how to read legislation primer.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    OK....I'm guessing that now after we've had the first major event of the season that there's some information that's been overlooked that would be of use to those coming to testify in Annapolis.

Living here, I tend to perhaps take things for granted.

I'm going to open this up for a little while and let people post the questions that would need answered or suggestions about things that people would have found useful to know.

So...what would have been good for you to know before coming?

What other information do you need here to make this more useful to the membership?

Please keep the cross chatter to a minimum.

Once we get this updated, I'll likely delete a lot of the extra posts, so please don't file a hurt feelings report on me. ;)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'd like to visit the assembly after school to have one on one meetings with my representatives. Is there a schedule posted up in a regular way so we know when they have evening sessions?

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    Written testimony does not require waiting in line. Directions to the second floor office, and to deposit appropriately formatted written testimony on the second desk in, in the pile with the appropriate label on the yellow card.

Believe it or not, I would've like to have heard it made clear that written testimony was intended to focus on ONE specific bill and not sweeping topics. Also, that one could write testimony for any and all bills one wishes to write testimony on.

I'd like to see more info on which representatives need targeting for our efforts. I am suspicious that simply spamming the entire GA may not be the most effective way of weighing in, plus, I generally like to deselect those firmly in our camp, though it can be argued both ways.

by and large, I think we did great.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'd like to visit the assembly after school to have one on one meetings with my representatives. Is there a schedule posted up in a regular way so we know when they have evening sessions?

Monday is the evening session.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    -Bring food and drink in a backpack. If there is as many people the next time as there were this time, you won't have a chance to go grab something to eat.

-Wear comfortable shoes!! My feet and legs were killing me by the end of the day.

-Get there early. 9:45 was too late this past time.

-When you sign up, there are separate sign up sheets for each bill. Know where you stand on each bill you want to sign for so you don't have to stand there for 10 minutes making your mind up.

-Don't leave the building once you sign up especially if there are large numbers present. You will have trouble getting back in.

-When you are standing in line or outside there are no bathrooms nearby. Make sure to relieve yourself before you get in line. There are however bathrooms inside.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    This thread will be where we put up the information for the 6th of February events in Annapolis.

It will remain locked in order to avoid confusion and will make it easy for the membership to simply link to this thread.

Event coordinators may PM with corrections and updates and I will make those happen here.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but we need a clear message without the ensuing discussion.

Discussion threads located as follows:
    SB281 Gun Ban
    HB294 House Gun Ban
    HB375 Dealers Licensing and Record Keeping
    HB383 Gun Shops Security Requirements for Regulated Firearms
    SB 382-Mental Health Bill

just noticed, both the HB375 and HB383 links point to the HB375 thread.

bmelton

Jan 23, 2013
    It's sort of been said, but as a reminder, they won't allow pocket knives into any government buildings, even if it's only a 3" blade. I saw a number of folks turned away because they couldn't get pocket knives through security and if you're like me and don't ever realize you're wearing it, make a note to leave it on the dresser or in the car before you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom