• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I was just on a website and saw a Ruger Security-Six (blued) for sale. It was listed as "Mint," but had some holster rub around the cylinder and a ring caused by the cylinder stop.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...agnum-blue-mint-with-box.cfm?gun_id=101264336

The price is a bit steep, but my issue was the gun listing as "Mint." I didn't see any gun condition guidelines, but I didn't see this gun as being in Mint condition, as Mint would be a virtually new in-the-box condition.

Do the cylinder rub marks keep the gun from being mint? How about the cylinder ring marks. Or is the seller complying with some standard I'm unfamiliar with?

Thanks!

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Must be a matter of opinion. I know at least one member hear that labels items as NOS and "never used" even with wear marks down to bear metal. That's why good clear pictures are always the best description.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    From long experience, I always look carefully at the last few pictures in an online ad. That's where the seller hopes you've already been won over, and the truth peeks out.

While on the subject, if someone is trying to sell something for several hundred dollars, and can't be bothered to take a picture that's in focus, I can't be bothered to consider a purchase.

I freely admit that I've bought a few items off GB that turned out to be rather better than they were depicted, so maybe I'm too picky. Anyway, I'm not buying the words; that's just somebody's opinion.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Off subject but the Security-Six is an awesome revolver...Ruger should have never dropped this series from the line. My only complaint with it is the book written on the barrel with all the warnings which Ruger does on many of three products.

Jul 1, 2012
    The Blue Book of Gun Values has a pretty good section on describing condition ratings, with pics.
    A truly mint gun (which is 100% condition) is pretty uncommon, even guns straight out of the box typically have handling marks and/or slight marks from test firing.

Another favorite is "minty" implying it's LIKE mint but not really. but almost.

From the description in OP that's probably a 95-97% gun max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom