• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    From one of the comments after the article. Not sure if it is true, but it sounds plausible.

Now for the rest of the story, and summarizing it. A couple, one of whom was a Vietnam veteran and collector of military memorabilia, were moving. Family members offered to help. When they arrived, they saw the couple had military memorabilia and got scared. They called police. Police came and arrested the man and sent him for involuntary psychiatric screening. This would have been done with a mental health warrant that the police would have sought based on the family being afraid of them having guns. No threat was needed to get the warrant - just a family member who was afraid of them and knew they had them.

The man was taken involuntarily to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Police removed all the memorabilia, then determined they were all safe and there was no danger. It is not clear if the man has been released from the hospital or not. Police are (hopefully) still in possession of all his possessions. No word on what actions he will have to take to get them back assuming none go missing.

Pennsylvania does NOT have red flag laws. Therefore, police seized the mans property and committed him to a psychiatric hospital without cause. A red flag law would actually make that totally legal. ANY family member that has ANY relative that owns guns, if that family member doesn't like guns, can have them confiscated. Many states that have red flag laws currently allow the court orders to be requested by family members - it doesn't have to be law enforcement. So a family member approaches the court, says they have been saying stuff that they believe makes them a risk to themselves or others, and they throw in a few "quotes". Many states, the evidenciary requirements are low so the order is issued. It's sent to police who execute it. A man is at home watching TV and police come knocking and tell him they are there to execute a warrant to take his guns. He can't do anything to stop them.

Reminds me of the saying, "You can choose your friends, but you cannot choose your family."

If I was this guy and his wife, I would make damn sure that those family members that did this did not receive a single cent after I passed away.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Boxes and boxes of ammunition, cases and cases of ammo, rifle after rifle. What was his crime? Why was he sent to a psych eval? I hope the man gets good legal support.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Crime?

Boxes and boxes of ammunition, cases and cases of ammo, rifle after rifle. What was his crime? Why was he sent to a psych eval? I hope the man gets good legal support.

His crime was being old. His crime was not being understood by his neighbors. His crime was not having his well being looked after by caring neighbors.

Where is that clip from Monty Python and the Holy Grail about the witch trial?

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Bump. Let's keep this one alive...Any attorneys want to jump on this? I want to know what happens with this one. Not enough info. yet.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This crap gets my blood pressure way up. It's so ridiculous it's infuriating. The goofy looking dude they were interviewing looks like he may need some investigating as well, anyone that dumb scares me.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    They sell cool collectables not far from him.
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/demilitarizedfirearms.aspx

The old Army Navy stores sold inert bombs after WW II and Korea in neighborhoods all over the country and frequently had a couple of BIG ones as decorations outside the store.

I've got one of their inert rifle grenades in my display case at work... guess I need to be committed too. I probably shouldn't give them any ideas .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If this were in Maryland, would the involuntary commitment be an issue? Can you just be involuntarily committed without due process.

You can be placed on an emergency petition psych hold until evaluated for suicidal ideation or homicidal ideation by a licenced social worker and a doctor.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

"...and there are no pending criminal charges at this time, Paul Kenny, Chief of Police"

This crap gets my blood pressure way up. It's so ridiculous it's infuriating. The goofy looking dude they were interviewing looks like he may need some investigating as well, anyone that dumb scares me.

Quoted from then next quote below: "Family members offered to help. When they arrived, they saw the couple had military memorabilia and got scared. They called police. Police came and arrested the man and sent him for involuntary psychiatric screening." I say those family members are the ones that need the psychiatric screening.

From one of the comments after the article. Not sure if it is true, but it sounds plausible.

Now for the rest of the story, and summarizing it. A couple, one of whom was a Vietnam veteran and collector of military memorabilia, were moving. Family members offered to help. When they arrived, they saw the couple had military memorabilia and got scared. They called police. Police came and arrested the man and sent him for involuntary psychiatric screening. This would have been done with a mental health warrant that the police would have sought based on the family being afraid of them having guns. No threat was needed to get the warrant - just a family member who was afraid of them and knew they had them.

The man was taken involuntarily to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Police removed all the memorabilia, then determined they were all safe and there was no danger. It is not clear if the man has been released from the hospital or not. Police are (hopefully) still in possession of all his possessions. No word on what actions he will have to take to get them back assuming none go missing.

Pennsylvania does NOT have red flag laws. Therefore, police seized the mans property and committed him to a psychiatric hospital without cause. A red flag law would actually make that totally legal. ANY family member that has ANY relative that owns guns, if that family member doesn't like guns, can have them confiscated. Many states that have red flag laws currently allow the court orders to be requested by family members - it doesn't have to be law enforcement. So a family member approaches the court, says they have been saying stuff that they believe makes them a risk to themselves or others, and they throw in a few "quotes". Many states, the evidenciary requirements are low so the order is issued. It's sent to police who execute it. A man is at home watching TV and police come knocking and tell him they are there to execute a warrant to take his guns. He can't do anything to stop them.

Sarcasm alert: This was why all six of us were out picketing Hogan before the MD EPRO red flag gun grab was signed. Yup, six is all that showed up that night. Not that 600 or more would have made much difference, but it might have at least given him pause.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I have posted this before but I want to share it again...

This was written by a friend of mine. Anyone that thinks that Mental Health screening to buy a firearm is a good idea really needs to read this. It is always easy to knee-jerk into a bad decision. Let's all step back, take a deep breath, and think really hard about this. This is not the "Minority Report". We cannot convict a person for a crime that they have not committed "yet".

"Apologies to my fellow firearm owners, if some do not find this relevant.

I'm a mental heath therapist and an addictions therapist. Here are things you should know.

There are ridiculously low threshold mental health diagnoses like "adjustment disorder" which is sometimes called "situational depression". As in, "You're feeling sad about some stuff you should totally be feeling sad about". All of a sudden, your dog passing away means you lose your right to have a firearm forever? Finding out that your kid has a chronic illness means you have to give up all of your guns?

But let's not forget that the social work field is predominantly populated by anti-gun, progressive, albeit well-meaning people. No one should have a magic button to take away someone's Constitutional Rights without due process. I'm a conservative libertarian, NRA life member, mental health & addictions therapist. I don't even want that power to take away someone's rights without due process.

But let's pretend it is forced upon me...

What's the threshold for me to take away someone's rights? Any mental health diagnoses at all? The previous "adjustment disorder"? (Nevermind that a diagnoses of some kind is REQUIRED for insurance to pay for services...) Is it just my judgement regarding the severity? Will my judgement be impacted with a law that if someone in my care commits a gun related crime, that I'm personally, professionally, or criminally liable?

Will people in my field (the vast majority of which are, again, anti-gun) simply click the button on everyone they see, in order to avoid liability? Will marriage counselors click the button on everyone when they start treatment? Hell, will marriage counselors click the button on the husband if a wife even calls to ASK about counseling? After all, the phone call is an admission that they are having marital problems, and marital problems can lead to violence. Will ALL therapists click the button on you as soon as you call? After all, you've just admitted that you've got something serious enough going on that you're thinking about therapy, or that someone you care about and may have access to YOUR firearm, needs therapy...

If i click that magic button that I don't even want, I'm violating your rights twice. The first time is taking away your right to have a firearm. The second time is doing so without any way that you can stand up and say "You're wrong about me".

We already have a system in place that respects due process. If I, as a therapist, feel you are a danger to yourself or others, I can call a hospital or emergency room. Once we are there, a psychiatrist will talk to you and if he agrees with me, will recommend that you be admitted for treatment. IF you disagree and refuse, we then go before a judge and involuntarily commit you. You will have the opportunity to defend yourself and speak on your behalf. You will have due process.

I am not a god. Do not treat me like one. I will do my job as a therapist, but part of my job as a therapist, as well as a fellow citizen, is advocating for you. I am advocating that you are worthy of due process. I am advocating that you should be able to speak up when you feel someone makes a snap judgement that will impact you for the rest of your life. I am advocating that you should have recourse to do something about it, legally.

You have rights. I am advocating that you speak up for them.

Nobody should have a button to take away your rights without due process on a whim without proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

The only person that should be more afraid of me having that button than me, is you."

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    "He was always mean to our kids."

So, f*****g what? Maybe he doesn't like your bratty little sh**s. Not liking kids isn't illegal. Hell, sometimes. I don't even like my own kids....

Report never got to the core of why he was sent for a psych eval in the first place. Was it because he doesn't like kids and owned some guns...?

rcreynolds

Nov 4, 2015
    When all these 100 year old + rifles are cataloged and the bombs proven to be dummies then let the law suit begin. The report by the news is nothing less than an attempt to destroy this man. The neighbors are pussies.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I have posted this before but I want to share it again...

You know that there are thousands, if not millions, of gun owners who are not a danger to anyone who have avoided seeking counseling when it could have benefited them just because of this.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    There were discussions in the recent past of PTSD making veterans unstable and therefore incapable of safe firearms ownership. This ERPO stuff looks like a way to disarm some of the best trained gun owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom