• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Been thinking of building.308 pistol. Looking for ideas. What is the overall length for pistol. Don't want to step into SBR. Thought about going with a 12" barrel.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I would imagine it would be a flame thrower at 12". For a pistol you can go as short or long as you want. You should do some research on what would be the shortest possible for that round to be effective.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Been thinking of building.308 pistol. Looking for ideas. What is the overall length for pistol. Don't want to step into SBR. Thought about going with a 12" barrel.

As long as you brace it you don’t need to worry about making it an SBR.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Most of the builds I noticed on line use a 10.5" barrel. I'll be using a SIG brace. Still reviewing which comp or flash to use. I'll be loading with IMR powder and using 150-170 gr bullets.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If it were me I'd look into the PTR. 308 pistol ! Very soft shooting but a big bark. I have shot my original hk91 cut down to a hk51 out to 200 yards. Another good choice is the Galil 308 pistol. The ar10 is no fun to shoot in pistol form.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'd want a blast can (or whatever it's called) to push the gasses forward. .308 is gonna make fireballs from a short barrel.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I would imagine it would be a flame thrower at 12". For a pistol you can go as short or long as you want. You should do some research on what would be the shortest possible for that round to be effective.

I'd want a blast can (or whatever it's called) to push the gasses forward. .308 is gonna make fireballs from a short barrel.

My short AR-10 has a 14" barrel with a pinned Surefire SOCOM 2-chamber brake and it launches a 4-5' fireball when I have the Warden compensator mounted on it. When I run just the brake without the Warden comp, it throws off a muzzle blast that's been compared by others to a Barrett. The compensator is pretty much a "must" if you're going to shoot it indoors or even at an outdoor range with closely-spaced lanes.

I can only imagine how obnoxious a 12" or 10" AR-10 pistol would be. It's hard to wipe the smile off my face whenever I take mine out, and it's always a big conversation-starter at the range. Build it, you won't regret it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Might as well go 12.5 or less, or build a 16" and be able to use a stock IMO. Will have epic fireballs anyway, so would go with a mild brake and screw on flash can setup. 308 starts rapidly loosing velocity and increasing blast once it gets shorter than 22-24", even my relatively large 18" AR10 has an impressive fireball, and clocks about 100FPS less than my 20", and 150FPS less than my 22" M1A

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I believe DutchV is thinking of a Linear Compensator .

Functionally, a Surefire Warden is basically identical to a linear compensator, it just quick-disconnects so let you swap it with a can or run the straight brake for when you want the full recoil reduction for faster follow-up shots, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since we know a bit about short 5.56 bbl lengths , ports, dwell times, etc , I figured I'd take a quick look at comparing the two .

From published data, the .308 has water capacity 1.783 of the .223 . From basic math, the cross sectional bore area is 1.89 of the .223 .

So everything else equal , the .308 would be about 6% more effecent from short bbls . ( Yeah, yeah , it's not all the same , SD of typical used bullets vary , different pressures in mil vs SAAMI in each cal , etc )

So as quick rule of thumb , similar bbl lengths and gas port placement should work with both .

FWIW , I consider an 11.5in bbl w/ carbine gas port to be a worthwhile convergence for 5.56 , so my inclinations would be for same when I get around to my medium burner AR-10 pistol project .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    To use as a yard stick, the TC Encore pistols used 15" barrels for 308 Winchester. I tried .223 in handguns twice. A 14" Contender and an AR platform. Had a 30-30 Win in 10" TC Contender. It was more efficient than either of the 223's. Personally, I find true rifle capacity cartridges a waste in ballistics, utility and practical use when used in handguns...but many like them. Preferences vary - good luck. I look forward to see how your project turns out, shoots and handles.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    To use as a yard stick, the TC Encore pistols used 15" barrels for 308 Winchester. I tried .223 in handguns twice. A 14" Contender and an AR platform. Had a 30-30 Win in 10" TC Contender. It was more efficient than either of the 223's. Personally, I find true rifle capacity cartridges a waste in ballistics, utility and practical use when used in handguns...but many like them. Preferences vary - good luck. I look forward to see how your project turns out, shoots and handles.

There is a big difference between a hot 300BO load and a mild 7.62NATO load in a 12" barrel, most that I can find would put it about a 200FPS increase with a 150gr FMJ, but that is minimum, a warm 308 in a heavier weight might end up at least 50% more energy than 300BO, although most of the difference will be the tiny pop of 300 vs a fireball from 308.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I won’t deny that. Fully different class of cartridges. But for the bulk, weight and unwieldy nature of them, I think they are more efficient as carbines or sbr’s. You alluded to that in your velocity loss statement.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    FWIW , I have shot a .308 pistol , the single shot w/ rotating cannon style breach .

Plently of muzzle blast , but 2 hand standing was no biggie, for anyone comfortable w/ .44 mag . I figure an AR-10 pattern pistol would be milder recoil still .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom