• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    So I've had this for almost a decade. Bought it back when I was in high school as a birthday present to myself. I thought I would learn to flip it around and such, but it never happened...basically I put it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Now I got to thinking about it again. I thought about selling it. I thought about carrying it (I think its "legal to carry" status is controversial). Didn't really know what to do with it, so I did a few searches to see how others were using theirs.

Apparently they're somewhat rare now and discontinued by Benchmade...I saw some used ones going for $450 - $500. Now what? Should I hang on to it and see if it continues to build in value? Should I forget I even saw the prices and just use it / carry it? Anyone know any more than I do?

CIMG1547.jpg

CIMG1551.jpg

CIMG1558.jpg

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I would learn to use it, but practice first with a cheap one and grind the point and edge off. I would keep that one as is, it surely won't loose value if kept in good condition. I deal Benchmades and wish they did more with the Balisong kinves, but they don't offer much now days.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    One edge is dull from the factory

Ok lol been playing with them since i was a kid that was the third knife i got first two were grampas KaBars . I know how to use the butterfly (yes FSP at the expense of a few broken items around the house:innocent0) never used what i thought was a double edge one though . And yes the benchmades are pretty high dollar lately . Keep it:thumbsup:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I had a Benchmade 42 that I sold recently.

For what people are willing to pay/trade for them I would let it go. In my case I got a new Benchmade Marlowe butterfly and more cash than I paid for the knife years ago. I effect I got 2-3 times more than I had in the knife, so even with inflation I was good.

Bradley makes some good butterfly knives now for about $100. I would think about selling yours. Buy a Bradley and spend the extra cash on a new pistol. I'll even cut you a deal on a Kimura 1 or the Benchmade 52 I have if you like.

Buy low, sell high.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Back in the day I learned how to use a balisong with the double edged version. Both sides had a nice edge and it really taught me how to do it right FAST.

Gotta find that thing, I am inspired :-)

TD

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Double edge butterfly knife ? Looks like a trip to the stitches nurse in your future.

its all in the way you flip it open.. i used to have double edge butterfly knife from the PI.. (got stolen from my jeep :mad54: when i was living in virginia).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    if she can do you it so can you!! (i sure heck couldnt.. lol)

the basic flip... place a tape over the sharp edge until you are proficient. ;)

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I just did some quick searches that brought me to a few different knife forum classified ads. I don't know what drives the pricing, but the model 42 seems to be the most common and starts in the $300's, then the lesser known models go up from there. Of the 46's that I found a few were in the $400's, and one was over $500, but I think there was something special about it. I would do a search for your specific model and see if you can find some recent classified ads for it.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I hope you still have the original box because I think it's worth more with it. I would encourage you to save the knife and not use it. If you want to use a butterfly knife I'd suggest buying a new one, or sell it for $500 and buy 10 or 20 new ones and don't forget the bandages.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    WeaponsCollector said:
    I hope you still have the original box because I think it's worth more with it. I would encourage you to save the knife and not use it. If you want to use a butterfly knife I'd suggest buying a new one, or sell it for $500 and buy 10 or 20 new ones and don't forget the bandages.

Wowza . Now I'm curious how much is mine worth. It's prior benchmade name. Pacific cutlery. 68 I think.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury

I do still have the original box, papers, and nylon sheath. Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Post some pictures! I think those are in demand by collectors as well.

bought it in the early 90's from a friend when i was in living in virginia. no box.. just the knife and sheath.. been looking for what model it was.. came close to model 68 or something.. not 100% sure though.

Attachments

• elph2_0008.jpg
      elph2_0008.jpg
      132.8 KB · Views: 594

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ohh wow .. Gimme ..lol I am Kinda a Balisong nut I cant get enough of um & carry at least one every day ...
    I will be sending you a PM .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom