• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    make sure your local range allows steel core ammo before you buy the cheap stuff..

Steel core and steel cased is different steel core is steel in the actual bullet/projectile and steel cased is the case which can be steel/Alum/brass

squeky

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2007
    Frederick
    Boy do I have info for you:

Cheap:
    9mm%20Luger.png

All:
    9mm%20Luger_reloadable.png

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Are some people anti-steel-cased ammo because they can't reload the steel casings and hate having it mixed-in with brass on the floor at their range?

Does that have anything to do with the $10 extractor argument I read above? Or can steel be reloaded?

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    I live in Frederick, I have an XDM 9mm and I shop at Walmart for my ammo
    Winchester White Box
    100 round
    9mm
    115 grams
    FMJ

$23.00 per box of 100

have had no problems with it in two years.

love the gun too

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    The last couple times I stocked up on 9, I waited till Cabelas had bulk ammo sale & free shipping...and ordered 500 rnds (1000 rnds once also) and got Herters (Russsian, I think) and the plastic bulk ammo boxes. The stuff runs fine in my Glocks and Hi-Point carbines. I use a Cabelas card and get points ($) on my orders; pay off monthly and avoid interest. My cheapest way to go...other than scavengers luck gunshow finds.

Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Ammotogo.com has geco 9mm for a really good price of about 9 bucks per box. It is very clean ammo. I have shot hundreds of rounds of those so far. As some had suggested, it was said that it is NATO rounds, and so it's +p ammo. The recoil does not seem like +p, to say the least, when compared to the Speer gold dot 9mm +p I have shot in the range.

Does anyone know if Geco 9mm really is +p rounds??? The box does not say anything about muzzle velocity and there is no company website that gives this info.

Thanks

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Are some people anti-steel-cased ammo because they can't reload the steel casings and hate having it mixed-in with brass on the floor at their range?

Does that have anything to do with the $10 extractor argument I read above? Or can steel be reloaded?
    The Steel Case is not Re loadable, most is also Berdan Primed even if one would try to argue it is. (It's Not)

In purchasing Ammo on-line don't neglect to add Shipping Cost.

If you shoot a lot and want to save, start reloading. There is plenty of free Spent 9MM Brass at the Range, even if you buy Plated Bullets rather than cast your own Lead you will be between $3-$4 a Box maybe less.

Ed

If you opt to purchase Brass Ammo and don't want the Spent Brass send it my way. If you have .38 Spcl or .45 ACP send that along as well.

Ed

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    It depends on how many boxes you buy. If you buy at WalMart, you pay sales tax. If you buy online, you pay shipping. If it is a dollar or two less per box online, you will eventually save money if you buy enough boxes at once, but you'll have to calculate where that savings occurs.

I will buy it either way, depending on availability...if I'm in WalMart and it's right in front of me, I won't bother with looking for a slightly better deal online.

OIFusaf

Feb 9, 2011
    classified
    i have put about 2000 rds of steel case ammo through my glock 17 and another 2000 through my cobray M11 and did not have any malfunctions at all!!!!
    i love the stuff

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Try sportsmansguide, luckygunner, impact guns, and budsgunshop for some online prices. Google for their sites.

For hotter loads, DoubleTap, BuffaloBore, Georgia Arms.

You can definitely save by buying online if you buy in bulk, a lot of places give free shipping for larger orders, so you skirt tax and shipping charges. But, you might be buying 1000+ rounds, for $300-500 range or more. Upside, it doesn't go bad (in any reasonable amount of time), and if you enjoy shooting, it's there when you want to shoot.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    My Xd has shot every brand ammo I feed it.
    Buy a few box's of the cheap stuff and see how it shoots and feeds.
    At worse you'll need to clean the gun a bit more often.
    I too buy ammo at Wallmart when avalible. Much depends on what store you go to and what they keep in stock.
    If not I buy at local gun shops but buy bulk when in WV.
    For range ammo I mostlly shoot Eagle brand.
    The Russian made ammo has so far been the dirtyest ammo I've shot.
    But I clean my guns after every session so it really does'nt matter much:)

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    I just sent Blazer a letter, regarding their .357 mag ammo. I bought several boxes, at Walmart, of their aluminum cased ammo. Unless I drench the cylinder with gun oil, prior to loading, the aluminum casings get stuck and will not extract from the cylinder without me literally prying them out, one at a time, after they have been fired. I don't know if it is an expansion issue, heat, or a combination of both, but it is a nuissance none the less. I ONLY run brass cased ammo through my Ruger GP-100, now. Blazer responded and said that they would look into the issue.

Update: Elkton, Northeast, Aberdeen, and Abingdon Walmarts all carry ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom