Any ideas on a decent, yet affordable .300 blk suppressed pistol for HD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Thinking I would like an affordable, suppressed .300blk pistol with brace for a home defense situation, one day, once I move back to Iowa.

Thoughts on any pre-built guns, or what to put together? Including suppressor suggestions?

Or maybe a subsonic silenced 9mm would be a far more affordable choice.... ideas?

Last edited:

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Thinking I would like an affordable, suppressed .300blk pistol with brace for a home defense situation, one day, once I move back to Iowa.

Thoughts on any pre-built guns, or what to put together? Including suppressor suggestions?

Or maybe a subsonic silenced 9mm would be a far more affordable choice.... ideas?

Why wait until you're in Iowa? AR pistols are OK. Unless you already have a suppressor, I don't see how the suppressed 9mm will be more affordable (unless you're talking in terms of ammo). I would just go with a 10.5" or 11" 5.56 and be done with it.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    maybe consider using the shorter "K" type of suppressors for a home defense 300 blackout

it doesnt need to be as quiet as possible just enough to take the bite off

i build my own 300blk and id definitely go that route again if you trust your armorer skills

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just build. Buying pre-assembled wont save you a ton of money and at least 2 of the parts you wont like and want to change anyway.

Also, remember that .300 blk AR pistols are a sure sign of conspicuous consumption, so make sure to get a camo anodized aluminum billet receiver and nickel boron bolt. :sarcasm:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    You have to decide your budget first. You can get a decent AR with free float handguard under $700 now, and add a suppressor (which may run you another $900 including tax stamp). Or you can go all the way and get Daniel Defense $3200 integrally suppressed hotness. What are you actually using it for? You will be in 'murica so you will have way more options.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    As I have been watching videos, I see people complain about getting gassed in the face. Is this common, or avoidable?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    An adjustable gas block reduces this problem. If you are running suppressed you want an adjustable gas block. If you get an AR without one, these are pretty inexpensive and easy to install ($75 or so from Wilson Combat for example), but you will want to make sure the handguard/fore-end has a large enough diameter.

ETA: this is only true of rifle caliber ARs. 9mm ARs are blowback operated, so this does not work, there is no gas system. May need a heavier bolt or buffer, or something else. "Piston" type guns are also a different animal.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Completely new to the AR scene... What uppers/lowers are good, for a good value?

Aero Precision, imo, is one of the best for lower/upper receivers if you are on a budget.

If i was gonna go a step above that id probably go with a Spike's Tactical

although, my first build was with a $50 stripped Anderson lower. and it has worked flawlessly so its hard to go wrong these days

Building a rifle/pistol is always my first choice because you can choose exactly what you want and not waste money on stuff you wont use

Major03

Ultimate Member
    +1 for building. In the end, you'll save money...mostly because you won't be spending money replacing the things you inevitably will want to replace on an out of the box buy.

In terms of what to buy, regardless of barrel length, get a pistol length gas system. I would also recommend an adjustable low profile gas block as well.

I went with a Seekins Precision 10.5" match barrel and couldn't be happier. A friend built one with a Odin Works match barrel...also shoots very well.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I'm also of the belief that as long as they are in spec, the upper and lower receiver are not as important as spending money on a barrel and a decent trigger. I do think it's worth taking the time to true the upper receiver for the barrel extension.

YMMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My 2¢ if you will end up somewhere in the country, I'd go 300 Blk. In an urban or suburban setting, I'd go with a 9mm.

On a whole, the 9mm would be cheaper to build/buy and suppress.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    As I have been watching videos, I see people complain about getting gassed in the face. Is this common, or avoidable?

Why .300 BLK? Subs are about the same as .45 ACP. May want to at least consider a suppressed CMMG Guard .45 pistol. The delayed blowback system should significantly reduce the gas in the face.
    https://www.cmmginc.com/product/upper-group-mkg-pdw-45-acp-sbn/

This also comes in 9mm. You can get the 8" barrel/bolt for $375. You can do the rest of the gun pretty cheaply since it uses a standard AR upper, buffer spring and buffer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    FWIW I think shouldering a braced AR is a very cramped, unnatural shooting position. If you haven't shot one, try it and see what you think first.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks, my Sig brace is uncomfortable. A quick google of the shockwave ran me down a rabbit hole of a "is-so, is-not" legal to shoulder argument.

https://m.facebook.com/ShockwaveTec...828.1440312666272452/1683507475286302/?type=3

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/05/15/psa-critical-analysis-shouldering-brace/

Regardless of the above it sure seems like a better option than the Sig brace.
    ATF approved as a pistol brace. ATF says you can sometimes shoulder pistol braces....

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I only shoulder mine if I want to shoot something so it’s not like I shoulder it all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom