• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    ALL constructive input is appreciated. I've been a member here since 2009, been banned once, and have seemingly made some keyboard enemies. took some time off from posting and lurked for quite sometime. There seems to be a commonality in the fraternity et.el. and that really does affect the viewing audience, new to the lifestyle of gun ownership. I think it was DC~W who said "...these threads are nothing to take seriously, just a place to vent..."--or something like that and i agreed. YET, there are some serious statements on these threads that need to be addressed.

First off, would everyone here agree that in order to exercise our 1st amendment free speech rights, we have had MANDATORY training? yes or no? for those who say NO, if you didn't have the training to read and write, you couldn't read this. EDUCATION is mandatory, be it homeschool or public or private, it is mandatory. :smoke:

next comes the 15th amendment to the constitution, whereby The Voting Rights Act of 1965, signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson, aimed to overcome legal barriers at the state and local levels that prevented African Americans from exercising their right to vote as guaranteed under the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. <~~here, there is no mandatory training, yet societally speaking, those who vote have more impact on us as a whole, than any other populace in America. shouldn't some sort of mandatory training in civics/economics and American History be taught to REGISTERED voters? yes/no? in my opinion, if you answer NO, we are doomed as a republic/democracy. cultural influences will change us in unpredicted directions, look at Europe.

It is to my understanding that those who seek citizenship in the USA are required to attend a mandatory training class in American culture and history, plus take the pledge to the country, but this requirement is being phased out as of this writing.

now comes the topic of disapproval from many, mandatory training for gun ownership. before we go down that road, consider the words in the second amendment, "...a well regulated militia..." what does that mean? Word Origin and History for regulate Expand v. early 15c., "adjust by rule, control," from Late Latin regulatus, past participle of regulare "to control by rule, direct," from Latin regula "rule" (see regular ). Meaning "to govern by restriction" is from 1620s. Related: Regulated ; regulating.

According to our 2nd amendment of the constitution of the United States of America "an amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, guaranteeing the right to keep and bear arms as necessary to maintain a state militia." The state militia at the time was the citizenry. Citizens who knew how to use guns because of their state regulation, an amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, guaranteeing the right to keep and bear arms as necessary to maintain a state militia.

think about that for a rational moment.

Massad Ayoob and I had this conversation last august and when i told him LEO'S had to qualify on their firearms once per year, mandatorily! he simply said, "good point." and we moved on. matter of fact, this exchange come from : (ahem) I would like to preface this reply by saying I haven’t read all the responses, but after sending this post for review, will begin my evening/late nite reading and absorb the opinions set fourth.

Ma’s, you and I had this brief discussion in Harrisburg, PA. In fact, I find it ironic you told me this story in an abbreviated fashion “… I spoke as an expert witness for a female senior citizen who was charged with criminal homicide after killing her abusive common law husband in self-defense when he tried to murder her for the second time in a matter of a few days. Attorney Mark Seiden won her acquittal, and I was proud to have been a part of that. The lady in question lived in a trailer and could not have afforded training. She couldn’t even afford her own gun. After the first murder attempt, she had borrowed a cheap .22 from her son. The three shots she fired in the self-defense incident – all center mass hits – were the second, third, and fourth shots she had ever discharged from a firearm in her life.

If she’d had to pay for a firearms safety course she couldn’t afford, she would have been helplessly murdered.”

My immediate response was that we in the shooting community need to look out for others who have a shared interest. (I am a Maryland state license/NRA certified/MAG certified/IDPA certified instructor) I said I would give her the instruction under my HARDSHIP DISCOUNT, meaning there would be no fee, so long as the student did the homework AND followed up with the free hour of refresher. I have donated countless hours to hardship cases A Vietnam Vet so riddled with Agent Orange, the health costs are to treat a 400% disabled medals of honor recipient, who has a really nice collection. In Maryland there is a mandatory 4 hour safety course requirement before you can even lawfully buy/transfer/possess a regulated firearm. His wife got a six hour course of instruction for the price of a box of CCI .22LR, copper plated, 50 rds. When it’s “time”, she will be able to retain his collection after the funeral.

So back to Harrisburg conversation, I mentioned all CCW holders should have to shoot one IDPA classifier, if they have the skills and physical ability. You gave me the look like “seriously?” and then as we were going back into the building, I said, my friends who wear a badge have to do the MANDATORY qualification at least once per year, civilians should be held to the same standard. (I don’t know that you heard me as you had entered the building and I was still in the threshold.)

Mas, your level of instruction is much different than where I start with my students. YOUR students are for the most part experienced and TRAINED. Mine? I could tell you horror stories.

Exp: Mrs. Jones comes into my office with a big beach bag. Ms. Jones is 72 years young. She wants to learn how to use her inherited .38SPL Service revolver. Her husband was a city cop. She is on fixed income (hardship discount), and comes into my class with a fully cocked .38 SPL, housing .38 SPL +P, ball ammo, in the bottom of this beach bag, with all her “essentials”, key ring, writing pens, check book, chapstick, change and a couple rolls of dimes. I AM GRATEFUL FOR MANDATORY training as I fixt this problem. Without the mandatory training to acquire the lawful possession of this gun in Maryland, this situation was just an accident waiting to happen.

I could bore you with more examples, but I hope what I have provided is adequate. If not, I can send links to news stories where the three year old toddler shot her mother in the stomach in a Walmart, mom WAS a lawful in CCW and countless other tragedies.

Not only that, we have to consider societal progression vs firearm advancements. Back in the “day” it was shameful for towns folk to NOT show up at public events that promoted safety and accurate shooting. Ball and cap days. Today, shame is a thing of the past, mainstream. Firearm advancements have to be considered juxtaposed to common knowledge.

exp: clerk at a gun store is new and has fetishes about his new love with GLOCK. Everything is GLOCK to him. A customer walks in with no training, never have shot a gun and walks out with a .40CAL, POLY FRAMED semi auto, two 16 round standard capacity magazines. It didn’t occur to her she couldn’t load the magazines and when she did get some in, they were backwards. As well, remembering the slide stop, and how the whole machine was designed for easy and simple function left her at a loss. (sigh) Mandatory training is my vote, hands down. Many instructors I know might donate time, some may not, but ultimately it is up to the gun owner to seek out the training and ASK if the instructor has a HARDSHIP clause. Then again, those who have shame may not seek the instruction because they think it a futile and embarrassing endeavor. And thats the shame.

I’m sure more to come… Thanks.

Stay safe.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    ALL constructive input is appreciated. I've been a member here since 2009, been banned once, and have seemingly made some keyboard enemies. took some time off from posting and lurked for quite sometime. There seems to be a commonality in the fraternity et.el. and that really does affect the viewing audience, new to the lifestyle of gun ownership. I think it was DC~W who said "...these threads are nothing to take seriously, just a place to vent..."--or something like that and i agreed. YET, there are some serious statements on these threads that need to be addressed.

First off, would everyone here agree that in order to exercise our 1st amendment free speech rights, we have had MANDATORY training? yes or no? for those who say NO, if you didn't have the training to read and write, you couldn't read this. EDUCATION is mandatory, be it homeschool or public or private, it is mandatory. :smoke:

next comes the 15th amendment to the constitution, whereby The Voting Rights Act of 1965, signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson, aimed to overcome legal barriers at the state and local levels that prevented African Americans from exercising their right to vote as guaranteed under the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. <~~here, there is no mandatory training, yet societally speaking, those who vote have more impact on us as a whole, than any other populace in America. shouldn't some sort of mandatory training in civics/economics and American History be taught to REGISTERED voters? yes/no? in my opinion, if you answer NO, we are doomed as a republic/democracy. cultural influences will change us in unpredicted directions, look at Europe.

It is to my understanding that those who seek citizenship in the USA are required to attend a mandatory training class in American culture and history, plus take the pledge to the country, but this requirement is being phased out as of this writing.

now comes the topic of disapproval from many, mandatory training for gun ownership. before we go down that road, consider the words in the second amendment, "...a well regulated militia..." what does that mean? Word Origin and History for regulate Expand v. early 15c., "adjust by rule, control," from Late Latin regulatus, past participle of regulare "to control by rule, direct," from Latin regula "rule" (see regular ). Meaning "to govern by restriction" is from 1620s. Related: Regulated ; regulating.

According to our 2nd amendment of the constitution of the United States of America "an amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, guaranteeing the right to keep and bear arms as necessary to maintain a state militia." The state militia at the time was the citizenry. Citizens who knew how to use guns because of their state regulation, an amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, guaranteeing the right to keep and bear arms as necessary to maintain a state militia.

think about that for a rational moment.

Massad Ayoob and I had this conversation last august and when i told him LEO'S had to qualify on their firearms once per year, mandatorily! he simply said, "good point." and we moved on. matter of fact, this exchange come from : (ahem) I would like to preface this reply by saying I haven’t read all the responses, but after sending this post for review, will begin my evening/late nite reading and absorb the opinions set fourth.

Ma’s, you and I had this brief discussion in Harrisburg, PA. In fact, I find it ironic you told me this story in an abbreviated fashion “… I spoke as an expert witness for a female senior citizen who was charged with criminal homicide after killing her abusive common law husband in self-defense when he tried to murder her for the second time in a matter of a few days. Attorney Mark Seiden won her acquittal, and I was proud to have been a part of that. The lady in question lived in a trailer and could not have afforded training. She couldn’t even afford her own gun. After the first murder attempt, she had borrowed a cheap .22 from her son. The three shots she fired in the self-defense incident – all center mass hits – were the second, third, and fourth shots she had ever discharged from a firearm in her life.

If she’d had to pay for a firearms safety course she couldn’t afford, she would have been helplessly murdered.”

My immediate response was that we in the shooting community need to look out for others who have a shared interest. (I am a Maryland state license/NRA certified/MAG certified/IDPA certified instructor) I said I would give her the instruction under my HARDSHIP DISCOUNT, meaning there would be no fee, so long as the student did the homework AND followed up with the free hour of refresher. I have donated countless hours to hardship cases A Vietnam Vet so riddled with Agent Orange, the health costs are to treat a 400% disabled medals of honor recipient, who has a really nice collection. In Maryland there is a mandatory 4 hour safety course requirement before you can even lawfully buy/transfer/possess a regulated firearm. His wife got a six hour course of instruction for the price of a box of CCI .22LR, copper plated, 50 rds. When it’s “time”, she will be able to retain his collection after the funeral.

So back to Harrisburg conversation, I mentioned all CCW holders should have to shoot one IDPA classifier, if they have the skills and physical ability. You gave me the look like “seriously?” and then as we were going back into the building, I said, my friends who wear a badge have to do the MANDATORY qualification at least once per year, civilians should be held to the same standard. (I don’t know that you heard me as you had entered the building and I was still in the threshold.)

Mas, your level of instruction is much different than where I start with my students. YOUR students are for the most part experienced and TRAINED. Mine? I could tell you horror stories.

Exp: Mrs. Jones comes into my office with a big beach bag. Ms. Jones is 72 years young. She wants to learn how to use her inherited .38SPL Service revolver. Her husband was a city cop. She is on fixed income (hardship discount), and comes into my class with a fully cocked .38 SPL, housing .38 SPL +P, ball ammo, in the bottom of this beach bag, with all her “essentials”, key ring, writing pens, check book, chapstick, change and a couple rolls of dimes. I AM GRATEFUL FOR MANDATORY training as I fixt this problem. Without the mandatory training to acquire the lawful possession of this gun in Maryland, this situation was just an accident waiting to happen.

I could bore you with more examples, but I hope what I have provided is adequate. If not, I can send links to news stories where the three year old toddler shot her mother in the stomach in a Walmart, mom WAS a lawful in CCW and countless other tragedies.

Not only that, we have to consider societal progression vs firearm advancements. Back in the “day” it was shameful for towns folk to NOT show up at public events that promoted safety and accurate shooting. Ball and cap days. Today, shame is a thing of the past, mainstream. Firearm advancements have to be considered juxtaposed to common knowledge.

exp: clerk at a gun store is new and has fetishes about his new love with GLOCK. Everything is GLOCK to him. A customer walks in with no training, never have shot a gun and walks out with a .40CAL, POLY FRAMED semi auto, two 16 round standard capacity magazines. It didn’t occur to her she couldn’t load the magazines and when she did get some in, they were backwards. As well, remembering the slide stop, and how the whole machine was designed for easy and simple function left her at a loss. (sigh) Mandatory training is my vote, hands down. Many instructors I know might donate time, some may not, but ultimately it is up to the gun owner to seek out the training and ASK if the instructor has a HARDSHIP clause. Then again, those who have shame may not seek the instruction because they think it a futile and embarrassing endeavor. And thats the shame.

I’m sure more to come… Thanks.

Stay safe.
    Read it all. Really.

What's the point big fella? Discourse or you just needed to vent or solicitation?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Read it all. Really.

What's the point big fella? Discourse or you just needed to vent or solicitation?

"big fella" is indicative of a negative nature in response. discourse, vent or solicitation? none of the above, just simply stating the facts. knock the chip off your shoulder and open your mind.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    "big fella" is indicative of a negative nature in response. discourse, vent or solicitation? none of the above, just simply stating the facts. knock the chip off your shoulder and open your mind.
    If there is a chip on my shoulder, I invite you to remove it whenever you might feel most ready.

Indeed, I served with a Canadian whose speech affectations stuck. At least I don't talk openly about my old winger..

You might reexamine your assumptions.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Your gonna be hard pressed to find the masses here accepting of mandatory training as your advocating.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

in addition to what was previously posted, from the timeline i posted, to your response, i would suggest you apply for a job at the secret service, cuz that is some fast reading. provided you had the comprehension skills in tact as well. :beer:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Literacy isn't required to express your first amendment rights, last I checked, nor is education, nor is a an IQ above 80. A right is a right. It is not conditional. Just saying.

and we see the effectiveness of illiteracy? really? are you educated?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Once you decide that mandatory training should be required in order to exercise a right the next logical step is determining the level of training and education required.

I'm not real comfortable with somebody else setting the bar for me.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Once you decide that mandatory training should be required in order to exercise a right the next logical step is determining the level of training and education required.

I'm not real comfortable with somebody else setting the bar for me.

We would obviously use a common sense approach.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    and we see the effectiveness of illiteracy? really? are you educated?

Um.. yes, I believe that I am... what is your point. My 19 year old son is severely autistic and can only read at about a kindergarten level... are you suggesting that he isn't entitled to express his first amendment rights, or vote for that matter. He is entitled to both and does both.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom