First time Gun Owner. First in the family as well!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Chose the Taurus G3 as my first gun due to price, but honestly, the thing is better than I expected. I only had YouTube reviews, magazine reviews, and blog reviews to get a mental feel for how the gun felt and operated.
    No problem. Many here are photo enthusiasts as well. The only thing we enjoy as much as shooting our guns is shooting our guns if you get my drift.

I don't know how to break this to you, so I'll just break it to you directly. It's okay that you picked the Taurus G3. Everyone remembers the first gun they ever bought with fondness and longing; however, after that first gun, reality sets in and pragmatism sets in and one's thoughts turn to other matters, such as gun safety, gun operation and the real crux of the matter, 1) what sort of revolver one is going to get; 2) what sort of .22LR is one going to get and 3) in what order are you going to get them?

They no longer make guns like they used to. This .357 is still produced, true, but
    comes with rubber grips instead of wood and lacks other niceties no longer found
    on guns under $1,000

For example, my second gun was a Ruger Standard Auto .22LR (see variant below). Why did I get it? Because I couldn't afford shooting a cenerfire revolver. A box of 50 .22LR ammo was 49¢ and i could get a quality firearm and use cheap ammo. A small reel-to-reel tape was 69¢ for about a half hour on each side, so lots of stuff was available for less than a buck.

Anyway, your best bet is to drop by here from time to time, as we're perfectly unified in everything we say and do. Seriously, I do hope you'll think about getting a good .22LR and a decent revolver (a .357 mag would be nice).

Does that sound like something you might be interested in?

SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Well....update. Many of you called it. I'm in deep.

I am now the proud owner of 3 handguns
    (1 Taurus G3 and 2 PSA Dagger self-builds) and 1 rifle (Hanover Armory AR-15). Lol.

Since then, I have introduced my family to the world of guns, many of them blue in thier voting and they were surprised at the complexity yet ease of use of the firearms. They are not converts but the future still holds many mysteries.

My wife hase joined me as well, and we have even picked up airsoft as a hobby. And are even anticipating our wear and carry permits. We have taken several gun classes and hand to hand classes (Thanks to Guntry and Cindy's Hot Shots) and have become permanent USCCA members.

How times have changed for my family. This one decision will affect generations to come.

Last edited:

ThisOrThat

Aug 6, 2020
    Well....update. Many of you called it. I'm in deep.

I am now the proud owner of 3 handguns
    (1 Taurus G3 and 2 PSA Dagger self-builds) and 1 rifle (Hanover Armory AR-15). Lol.

Since then, I have introduced my family to the world of guns, many of them blue in thier voting and they were surprised at the complexity yet ease of use of the firearms. They are not converts but the future still holds many mysteries.

My wife hase joined me as well, and we have even picked up airsoft as a hobby. And are even anticipating our wear and carry permits. We have taken several gun classes and hand to hand classes (Thanks to Guntry and Cindy's Hot Shots) and have become permanent USCCA members.

How times have changed for my family. This one decision will affect generations to come.
    Thank you for the update to this!!! And it is great to hear that you are keeping up with everything! :)

SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Here she is btw. First, but not the last.
    7R301233.JPG

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Like you, I too am the first member of my family to be a gun owner AFAIK. My brother-in-law got me interested in the hobby about 12 years ago and I will always be grateful to him for that even though he and my sister split up a few years ago. It sounds like you have done a better job of convincing the rest of your family to be tolerant of guns than I have, so congratulations to you. Your AR looks great.

Cal68

SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Like you, I too am the first member of my family to be a gun owner AFAIK. My brother-in-law got me interested in the hobby about 12 years ago and I will always be grateful to him for that even though he and my sister split up a few years ago. It sounds like you have done a better job of convincing the rest of your family to be tolerant of guns than I have, so congratulations to you. Your AR looks great.

Cal68
    Thanks! Don't lose heart, keep it up. It took years just to open thier minds this much. By the way, my family's older members are military and even they were against guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom