New to MD, can someone suggest where to live???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Welcome from Timonium MD!

Aside from the illogical and infringing laws that dems have placed on the good citizens of MD, I think you will find MD a very nice place to live. It's always good to have a fellow patriot come to this fine state.

As with any "nice place", MD is pay to play. Want land but close to convenience? Pay up. Don't care about land and are willing to be further out? Good deals abound.

Carroll County is probably going to be your best bet. Manchester is still relatively inexpensive and a few acres is still relatively reasonable.

If you can find a larger piece of land that has been designated as a conservation zone, you can usually find it cheaper since it's useless to developers/ investors. My friend purchased 112 acres in Westminster with 2, albeit very run down houses on it, for under 500K. They're fixing up the houses as we speak and it's a very very nice piece of land, but essentially can't develop it to anything more than it is (which is just fine by them).

Hereford County is also a very nice area, but prices have gone up over the years. Also not sure how accessible to Ft Meade it would be for you. I hope to one day settle down up around Monkton. Great history up there and a nice rail-trail that goes between Timonium and PA, not to mention excellent fly fishing.

Maybe I should look for some cheap land in Hunt Valley? 100-150 acres?

I love the 83 corridor, Sparks to PA line.

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Plenty of young single women to have kids with if your boys are still swimming ;)

Personally if I was buying, even in his situation I would look to move where the good schools are. It will help retain resale value and increase it as well, regardless if he utilizes them or not.

Sundazes can speak to that as well.

Definitely looking for a woman! Not so much to swing so to speak but settle down for sure. I also agree, even if I don't end up having kids, good school district for resale value.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Definitely looking for a woman! Not so much to swing so to speak but settle down for sure. I also agree, even if I don't end up having kids, good school district for resale value.

Match.com. I have a great agent if you need a referral. I come from a sales background and he’s better than me.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    A little late here, but welcome to MD. We need all the votes we can get.

I'll add one more vote to the Carroll County suggestions. Property values and taxes are a little more reasonable, tho our County Commissioners are not as conservative as they used to be so yeah, we need all the voters we can get.

The market here is nuckin' futz, so I suspect you're already prepared to spend some time on a search to find something you're happy with in your price range and location. Desirable properties are going under contract almost as quickly as they are listed, for much more than their listing prices. Our 32 y.o. son was renting a house in Ellicott City until 7.31 when his lease was up, and has been living with us since then. He'd been shopping for a house within his approved mortgage range ($400k), and it took him almost three months before finally signing a contract last week on a house in Eldersburg that is at the top of his price range. A 30 year-old single home on .3 acre w/2 car garage.

Good luck!

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Welcome. I moved to Northwestern Carroll County 15 years ago and did the commute to Greenbelt for many more years. I would leave at 6:30am and be in Greenbelt 45 minutes later except on rare occasions. I lived in Laurel by Ft Meade before moving to Carroll so if you were to move to Southern Carroll your commute should be a lot better than mine was. There are a lot of bail-out roads in case of traffic jams.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    I did that commute (Northern Virginia to Baltimore area (HHS Centers for Medicare - CMS) for over a year. I was coming from the Woodbridge VA area. Do not consider this as a viable long-term option. Let me rephrase that...DO NOT CONSIDER THIS AS A VIABLE OPTION.

I would get home after a 1.5 hour commute and was wasted. Wife refers to this as my zombie period.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Def will consider that as well, thank you!

Do not consider. That area, including much of the base housing, is like living in the 'hood. Not to mention you can't bring your guns with you as far as I know.

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    Look South !

Southern Maryland is a pretty nice place. Ft Meade is a 55 mile drive from central Calvert County, closer if you move a bit North. Excellent schools here or at least before Covid. Can't speak as to current situation. Housing runs from 250 K in the southern end of the county to 7 figures some spots up in northern Calvert.

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Awesome guys, thank you again so much. I want to reply to each reply but I don't want to clutter up the thread, really appreciate the great info!

Steelteacher

Feb 19, 2020
    PG county
    Welcome!
    Another voice saying the same things:
    Taxes here can be nuts- varies by county but generally high.
    Traffic is top 3? 5? In the country.
    Counties matter in MD. Laws and taxes and governments can be very different from one to another.
    If you’d like the name of my real estate guy pm me. He’s done a couple home buys in my family. I’ve also gone shooting with him. I do not benefit from the referral.
    Welcome once again and Good luck!
    Adam

Hotartchick

Jul 1, 2020
    Ocean Pines, Maryland
    Hi, I am moving from FL to Ft. Meade for work (expecting it to be permanent). Excited for work but not very excited about losing most gun rights. (separate discussion, hope it is not as bad as I think).

So, first, I am appreciative that we have this forum and nice to meet everyone!

Second, as my title states, I have not yet decided what area to move too. I am coming from a place where I have some privacy, close to civilization but still have 1.5 acres of land, good people around all of that stuff. Do areas like this exist within commuting distance of Ft. Meade? Everything that I have searched it just seems like there are a lot of townhouses and not much as far as homes (and land) as I have discussed. I should mention too that my budget is 350-450k (which may be the issue!).

Nice to meet everyone and looking forward to getting some suggestions!

Thank you!
    How far are you willing to commute?

D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    Good Luck in your home search and welcome to the forum. My "experience" living up that way was 25 yrs ago, (wife was stationed at Ft Meade, I was at Crystal City) ... be patient, you'll find the right home eventually, and you will enjoy MD and surrounding areas. Lots to do here.

Boards01

Jun 2, 2020
    Harford county is pretty rural and not too far from Meade. Most of the areas around Meade are pretty crowded and the eastern shore is too far away

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Harford county is pretty rural and not too far from Meade. Most of the areas around Meade are pretty crowded and the eastern shore is too far away
    Eastern Shore too far? Really?

I did it for 14 years......and there's no way I would deal with the I-95 commute from Harford County!!! While things got worse over time, the traffic to the Eastern Shore was not an every day issue, like I-95 is.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    Just keep in mind that a 60 minute commute right now will not be the same commute in 6 months. The DC/Baltimore area is really bad with traffic.

First thing I thought of. Covid will one day just be a memory and it will not take long for traffic to build back up. The Fort Meade / Carroll County conduit, Rt 32, is being widened into two lanes each way which will mitigate but not resolve the high volume of flow.

On the half full side . . . Ride Share is an option if you have sufficient tolerance of others.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Eastern Shore too far? Really?

I did it for 14 years......and there's no way I would deal with the I-95 commute from Harford County!!! While things got worse over time, the traffic to the Eastern Shore was not an every day issue, like I-95 is.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Just like zero, sometimes a single thing can be a world of difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom