• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Got my first handgun kill this afternoon. 3 doe walked by about 15 mins before dark and I picked the biggest and dropped her with a S&W Model 29.

Dude! I wonder what it would be like taking a deer with handgun. How far of a shot?

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    Very interesting to hear reports from all across the state that things seem 'slow' this year. I observed the same myself in moco. Was in the tree by 5 or so, probably heard half as many shots as typical right at opening time.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    Not to thread derail, but it’s related since today was it’s first outing: .350 Legend is a hell of a deer round. The sectional density says it should suck. But it absolutely wrecked a pair of does - one at 25 yards and one at 100. Both had gaping wounds and literally dropped in their tracks. Neither managed to even take a step let alone the mad dash I was used to with 6.5CM. To be fair, the Creedmoor did tend to liquify the lungs, but it didn’t always leave them DRT even when it did. 350 Legend on both deer was like a knockout punch. I was using 170 grain SP handloads that I Chrono’d at an average of 2290 FPS. I’ll have a topic on this in January when the last rifle shots are done, and perhaps these two will be the exception....

Great encouraging report. I picked up a 350 legend myself and was really interested to see how it will do. Ended up going with something else opening day, but I'll be out there the rest of the week with mine. Will report back on how it does if my luck works out.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I went yesterday with my oldest son . I have hunted in a few years because of health he hasn’t hunted in almost 17/18 years . Had a farm 170 acres for 27 years, lost it about 4years ago so on to public land I went . It sucked . Night and day . Last firearm opening day I walked out of the pumpkin patch around 930 for a fear of getting shot. Yesterday was physically challenging for me but it was nice. Got inwoods arounds 1030 . I stopped morning hunts for deer long time ago. Heard a fellow grunting always from us and watched him leave around 415. We stayed and in a little bit damn if we didn’t have a buck close to us grunting . I grunted back did some ground scratching thrashed a tree .Heck reminded me of going back and forth with a turkey. Guys hit the bleat and he was coming .that son of gun circled us to catch wind and he was 10yards if that behind us in the thicket .we where on ground ,don’t get in a stand anymore.of course he winded us only went 40 or 50 yards but he wasn’t coming . Tell ya it was an enjoyable time .we laughed and giggled walking out .would have been nice to harvest him , didn’t see rack son did but talked about feeling alive again. Plus gave me more faith in this area. Not to many people hunting less than I expected.. Anyway I miss it ,heck lived to hunt you just don’t turn that off. The depression that sets in when you can’t sucks . Wife won’t let me go by myself probably better if I don’t. But anyway guys it was Freaking Great !!! Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving and had as much fun as I did on there hunt.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    7E10CA67-D9C0-42B1-8D6A-128C2F74793A.jpg

First kill on my own property
    Mossberg 930 12g slug

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I went yesterday with my oldest son . I have hunted in a few years because of health he hasn’t hunted in almost 17/18 years . Had a farm 170 acres for 27 years, lost it about 4years ago so on to public land I went . It sucked . Night and day . Last firearm opening day I walked out of the pumpkin patch around 930 for a fear of getting shot. Yesterday was physically challenging for me but it was nice. Got inwoods arounds 1030 . I stopped morning hunts for deer long time ago. Heard a fellow grunting always from us and watched him leave around 415. We stayed and in a little bit damn if we didn’t have a buck close to us grunting . I grunted back did some ground scratching thrashed a tree .Heck reminded me of going back and forth with a turkey. Guys hit the bleat and he was coming .that son of gun circled us to catch wind and he was 10yards if that behind us in the thicket .we where on ground ,don’t get in a stand anymore.of course he winded us only went 40 or 50 yards but he wasn’t coming . Tell ya it was an enjoyable time .we laughed and giggled walking out .would have been nice to harvest him , didn’t see rack son did but talked about feeling alive again. Plus gave me more faith in this area. Not to many people hunting less than I expected.. Anyway I miss it ,heck lived to hunt you just don’t turn that off. The depression that sets in when you can’t sucks . Wife won’t let me go by myself probably better if I don’t. But anyway guys it was Freaking Great !!! Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving and had as much fun as I did on there hunt.

Glad you got out and got the feeling back! Nothing like Opening Day of deer season -

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Nice buck.

I just ordered everything except the sights and BCG for a 350 Legend AR, hopefully I can get that figured out for next year.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I didnt get to go out, probably won’t until next week. Got a cool pic of a fox hunting squirrels and birds while the deer eat in my backyard though.

Congrats to all those that harvested. I’m gonna need one more with the way my kids eat jerky.

Attachments

• 53D88FD7-5B1B-4FCD-81AA-BCE72B6B9340.jpg
      53D88FD7-5B1B-4FCD-81AA-BCE72B6B9340.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 202

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Went out in the woods this evening just to observe unless a big guy strolled by. Saw nothing but squirrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom