Anyone else have problems with Frontier Ammunition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    I put several hundred rounds of Federal through my son's rifle (Eagle Arms Armalite) and when we got to the Frontier Cartridge ammunition, I could immediately tell it was loaded hot. After about 40 rounds, the weapon jammed and I found three popped primers in the lower trigger assembly.

Anyone else experience problems wit Frontier Cartridge? Click on the pic for a closer look...

[url=https://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=5041&c=4] [/URL]

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I put several hundred rounds of Federal through my son's rifle (Eagle Arms Armalite) and when we got to the Frontier Cartridge ammunition, I could immediately tell it was loaded hot. After about 40 rounds, the weapon jammed and I found three popped primers in the lower trigger assembly.

Anyone else experience problems wit Frontier Cartridge? Click on the pic for a closer look...

[url=https://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=5041&c=4] [/URL]

62 Grain BTHP Match by chance?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Plain old FMJ...

There's been some buzz on the web recently about some way too hot Frontier ammo.

You might want to contact Hornady (maker of Frontier) and give them the lot number of the problem ammo. I would think you'd be doing them a big favor. I would also think they'd do what they can to make things right for you for your bad experience and your trouble.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Hornady sent a prepaid label for the casings, primers, and last box of ammunition. I’ll follow up when I get the results. I’ve had problems with IMI but never Hornady.

By the way, the ammunition was purchased from Cabelas a few months ago...

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    There's been some buzz on the web recently about some way too hot Frontier ammo.

You might want to contact Hornady (maker of Frontier) and give them the lot number of the problem ammo. I would think you'd be doing them a big favor. I would also think they'd do what they can to make things right for you for your bad experience and your trouble.

Wow, I just searched for "Frontier hot ammo"...Hornady better make it right!

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Wow, I just searched for "Frontier hot ammo"...Hornady better make it right!

Hey Stranger. I had that same issue with a 450 round order of Reman from Freedom Munitions a few years ago. Drove all the way to Delmarva Sporting Clays by myself, and primers jammed up 2 separate AR's before I realized what was happening. About 1 every 10 shots, screwed up and dropped the primer down in the trigger assembly area.

Called them and complained. They sent me one fresh box of Reman, and called it good...

Never bought another round from them since.

Good Luck buddy.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    There have been quite a few reports of bad Frontier rounds recently. It could have been worse. These pictures are linked to a thread on another forum: https://imgur.com/a/q65ddBf

There is obvious damage to the AR15! You may want to carefully inspect the bolt and upper you were using at the time.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Hey Stranger. I had that same issue with a 450 round order of Reman from Freedom Munitions a few years ago. Drove all the way to Delmarva Sporting Clays by myself, and primers jammed up 2 separate AR's before I realized what was happening. About 1 every 10 shots, screwed up and dropped the primer down in the trigger assembly area.

Called them and complained. They sent me one fresh box of Reman, and called it good...

Never bought another round from them since.

Good Luck buddy.

Hey Bud,

I am tad pissed...I am going to disassemble at least three rifles that I used the ammunition in...

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Last week I was at AGC and a guy in the next lane was shooting this ammo hitting a 5 inch plate like 28 out of 30 rounds. He did it time-and-time again (like 10 magazines over a few hours). Walked over and asked if he was shooting match ammo. "No Frontier 55 grain ball"...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Last week I was at AGC and a guy in the next lane was shooting this ammo hitting a 5 inch plate like 28 out of 30 rounds. He did it time-and-time again (like 10 magazines over a few hours). Walked over and asked if he was shooting match ammo. "No Frontier 55 grain ball"...

As of yet I haven't run in to issues with the Frontier I have bought. The OP's anecdote is pretty concerning. I think I've run about 6 or 7 boxes of regular M193 and also 55gr BTHP with no issues. I have I think 5 or 6 more boxes of M193 and HPBT. I also have 6 or 8 or boxes of their 68gr 5.56 BTHP I have yet to try. I am hoping for good things. I can find it sometimes for about $9 a box (Midway had it for $6.94 a box awhile back and I bought all that they had left. Sadly it was only 6 boxes...)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

meh. You can do a heck of a lot better than 5" from a bench at 100 yds, but its not the ammo. You can get 1.5" or better with cheap American eagle 55gr boat tail, the cheapest brass cased stuff available (now about .25/round with rebate). Your barrel, rail, trigger (and you!) matter most. My rifle can get 90% of shots within a 3" ring at 200 yds with AE 223. The max spread on my last 9 shot group with AE 223 at 200yds was 4.2." If you have a good set up (i.e. match grade barrel, and nice trigger) and half decent technique (my technique is only half decent I can assure you), you ought to be able to do way better even with cheap ammo. I once had a guy shoot one hole groups at 100 yds with one of my rifles with cheap steel case ammo, proving to me it was me and not the rifle or the ammo.

I am glad I saw this thread, I was about to pick up some cheap Frontier. Now, not so much.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    meh. You can do a heck of a lot better than 5" from a bench at 100 yds, but its not the ammo. You can get 1.5" or better with cheap American eagle 55gr boat tail, the cheapest brass cased stuff available (now about .25/round with rebate). Your barrel, rail, trigger (and you!) matter most. My rifle can get 90% of shots within a 3" ring at 200 yds with AE 223. The max spread on my last 9 shot group with AE 223 at 200yds was 4.2." If you have a good set up (i.e. match grade barrel, and nice trigger) and half decent technique (my technique is only half decent I can assure you), you ought to be able to do way better even with cheap ammo. I once had a guy shoot one hole groups at 100 yds with one of my rifles with cheap steel case ammo, proving to me it was me and not the rifle or the ammo.

I am glad I saw this thread, I was about to pick up some cheap Frontier. Now, not so much.

I assume the setup is an AR15 with a scope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom