• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chooch

Jan 27, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    I don’t get on here much but I need to start. I’ve been smiling for 10 minutes while trying to figure out if I should feel sorry for the OP.

Jun 4, 2015
    All of my important papers are in a discrete and secure location.

In a mayonnaise jar sitting on my back porch.

Seriously, if someone keeps their important papers and firearms in the confines of their attic, they are asking for trouble. BTW, how many burglars do you know who would take the time to go into an attic to look for things.

Five-0 has said many times that they get in and get out, looking for easy things to take.

But his wireless security system was easy to beat, so the BG probably had dinner and a nap while in the house too.

True story: Burglars hit my house while I was out of town and my wife at work. We assume the trash neighbors--they were moving out that day and had a moving van. He was in jail for dealing, she was prostituting on the front porch (IT wasn't that bad a neighborhood when we moved in).

Someone sat out back long enough to leave 5 cigarette butts in our grill, forced open the back door, took out several guns from the closet they were stashed in (couldn't afford a vault, and this was many, many years ago when they were less of a thing), took the knife collection but not the sheaths or displays for the collectibles. Took the world coins I'd acquired traveling, took the loose change bowl from the night stand, made it down to the basement, took three guitars (I recovered two. _I_, not the cops), my synth, took the cordless phone, went back upstairs, apparently used the phone to call out and ask their friends what they wanted. Took specific styles and brands of baby clothes, specific brands of condoms 8-O, a few more pieces of women's clothing, and were apparently fleeing out the back as my wife got home. The cops claim they were in the house 90 seconds, but it took longer than that to walk the obvious route. I say it was closer to an hour. They were SHOPPING.

However, they didn't replace any rifle barrels or change any of my word .docs.

Jun 4, 2015
    Wouldn't matter if they stole your C&R. Anything ordered with it has to go to the address on the paper.

Fill out a form, tell ATF yours is lost, need a replacement.

As for the secret gunsmith sneaking into your house, buy the parts you want installed and leave them next to the guns.

And stop smoking "medical" marijuana, or drinking medical tequila, or whatever it is.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Also apparently "never been broken into" means that it doesn't count the 2 people he fired who broke into his house and spent all day there. They may have been the ones who came in and disassembled all of his firearms and cleaned them for him. They took the breakable bottles of booze and steaks that would defrost because they could be easily ruined while running out the front door. They probably wanted the C&R license to protect the bottles of booze and keep the steaks cold. My guess is they also cleaned his stove, oven, bathroom, did his laundry, vacuumed the house, and organized both his closet and bookshelf for him. If you ever catch them let me know, I could certainly use a couple of thieves who only want useless paper, booze, and steaks to get some stuff done around the house.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Wouldn't matter if they stole your C&R. Anything ordered with it has to go to the address on the paper.

That's a misconception. It can be sent anywhere there is secure storage until you pick it up.

Now, finding a seller how will ship it to an alternate address may be impossible.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...ifferent-business-premises-address-identified

hopefully that url came out. also see the 2006 newsletter from the atf.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dizzydean

Jun 15, 2014
    It seems my question garnered 7 pages of responses, some useful, most not but I figured I'd leave a follow-up anyway:
    All files, licenses and other documents have been recovered (without LE) and secured in a safe deposit box; Firearms and ammo relocated to a steel gunsafe; Flaws in security system corrected and the crap wireless, motion detection cams replaced with a concealed, wired, 24hr digital system; Booze restocked but holding off on the Ribeyes.

A few responses to various comments:

"Another "1 post" that makes me suspicious."

Correct, it was my first post. As was once the case with every other member who has posted in these forums, yourself included, some 1,178 posts prior to this one.

"You had multiple break-ins and not 1 of your firearms were stolen? That's difficult to believe."

I agree, it would be unless you consider what the penalties in the State of MD would be for a paroled felon in possession of a stolen firearm. There were other things worth stealing that wouldn't add mandatory jail time if caught.

"Fred333, is that you? "

Nope. (whoever the hell Fred is)

"I wonder what caused him to come out and start posting? He's been a member since June of 2014 and this was his first post. Must be shy!"

Not at all shy or even Bashful, Dopey. You can take all the wonder out of it simply by reading my oft heralded "very first" post after joining in 2014...sorry, JUNE of 2014. And so what? I've been busy.
    But seriously J.H., we all have our "First" at some point in life. Stop wasting so much energy writing 21,420 posts pointing out someone's wicked website ways and perhaps someday, you'll have your very First too.

"I now understand the dizzy part, however the dean part still has me utterly confounded "

You're "utterly confounded" by a user's name in a web forum? That is confounding.

"Your choice of a security system like that leaves a lot to be desired in the siting of the base station. You also may want to consider getting a better set of cameras...?"

Yes it did and yes I have. Thanks for the suggestion.

"...there are those posts where I call somebody out for their own issues in starting a thread, when have been lurking for years and finally post, yet when we react the way we usually do, they get a massive load of butthurt. CVS has butthurt cream in aisle 12, next to the burn ointment."

YOU call someone out? WE react...? I am surprised that mob mentality and censorship via shoutdown is not only tolerated but encouraged on a site that is supposed to be about protecting the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens. My butt doesn't hurt, appreciate the ointment advice although my respect for fellow gun owners took a hit.

"daffydean sought for questioning."

Wtf is that about?

"I'd say if you are married, the spousal unit may have picked up those papers and mixed them in with other valuable papers like bank statements. I once found a pistol receipt in with our BGE bills when doing the yearly cleanup of the filing cabinet.
    Forgetfulness is the second guess. Adult children "helping" clean up would be my third guess. Check your safe deposit box if you have one. Take pictures with your phone if you come across the paperwork. I keep a signed pdf copy of my C&R license on my phone. If I see something I like (say at Cabelas), I can email it while I'm in the store and walk out with my C&R purchase."

Reasonable and helpful. Thank you for your good suggestions.

"CMP is selling Arisaka and Arabian flintlocks now?"

Fair enough, it is misleading as written. My apologies. It should have read:
    "The M1 rifles were locked in their CMP cases up in my attic. Also, hanging on the Living Room walls there was an Arisaka, a Swiss Vetterli, an Arabian flintlock and five bayonets (1 Jap, 1 German, 1 French, 2 US ww2 and 1 Civil War)."

(The Living Room wall location of the rifles should answer any of the "is there a wife" comments as well.)

One last thing I would add here is a quote from the forum rules which I found to be interesting reading:

"Personal attacks: This is a forum of and for adults. Personal attacks and throwing insults at other members is not acceptable. Everyone also has access to the "edit" and "delete" functions for their own posts, so losing your temper is not an excuse.

Common Courtesy: Is expected of everyone. This is a very general rule but one that any adult shouldn't have trouble following. As a rule if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, then you should think twice before saying to them it over the Internet. Remember that everyone places different values on things and what's small and insignificant to you might be a big deal to another member.

A not so gentle reminder, particularly for those that seem to enjoy seeing how close they can get to the line and constantly push other peoples' buttons. Take that passive aggressive nonsense elsewhere and be an adult. "

No harm done. Alls well that ends well and this fortunately has.

You won't have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore.
    Nixon-Watergate-Vsign.jpg

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    It seems my question garnered 7 pages of responses, some useful, most not but I figured I'd leave a follow-up anyway:
    All files, licenses and other documents have been recovered (without LE) and secured in a safe deposit box; Firearms and ammo relocated to a steel gunsafe; Flaws in security system corrected and the crap wireless, motion detection cams replaced with a concealed, wired, 24hr digital system; Booze restocked but holding off on the Ribeyes.

Correct, it was my first post. As was once the case with every other member who has posted in these forums, yourself included, some 1,178 posts prior to this one.

"You had multiple break-ins and not 1 of your firearms were stolen? That's difficult to believe."

I agree, it would be unless you consider what the penalties in the State of MD would be for a paroled felon in possession of a stolen firearm. There were other things worth stealing that wouldn't add mandatory jail time if caught.

"Fred333, is that you? "

"I wonder what caused him to come out and start posting? He's been a member since June of 2014 and this was his first post. Must be shy!"

Not at all shy or even Bashful, Dopey. You can take all the wonder out of it simply by reading my oft heralded "very first" post after joining in 2014...sorry, JUNE of 2014. And so what? I've been busy.
    But seriously J.H., we all have our "First" at some point in life. Stop wasting so much energy writing 21,420 posts pointing out someone's wicked website ways and perhaps someday, you'll have your very First too.

"I now understand the dizzy part, however the dean part still has me utterly confounded "

You're "utterly confounded" by a user's name in a web forum? That is confounding.

"Your choice of a security system like that leaves a lot to be desired in the siting of the base station. You also may want to consider getting a better set of cameras...?"

"...there are those posts where I call somebody out for their own issues in starting a thread, when have been lurking for years and finally post, yet when we react the way we usually do, they get a massive load of butthurt. CVS has butthurt cream in aisle 12, next to the burn ointment."

YOU call someone out? WE react...? I am surprised that mob mentality and censorship via shoutdown is not only tolerated but encouraged on a site that is supposed to be about protecting the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens. My butt doesn't hurt, appreciate the ointment advice although my respect for fellow gun owners took a hit.

Wtf is that about?

"I'd say if you are married, the spousal unit may have picked up those papers and mixed them in with other valuable papers like bank statements. I once found a pistol receipt in with our BGE bills when doing the yearly cleanup of the filing cabinet.
    Forgetfulness is the second guess. Adult children "helping" clean up would be my third guess. Check your safe deposit box if you have one. Take pictures with your phone if you come across the paperwork. I keep a signed pdf copy of my C&R license on my phone. If I see something I like (say at Cabelas), I can email it while I'm in the store and walk out with my C&R purchase."

"The M1 rifles were locked in their CMP cases up in my attic. Also, hanging on the Living Room walls there was an Arisaka, a Swiss Vetterli, an Arabian flintlock and five bayonets (1 Jap, 1 German, 1 French, 2 US ww2 and 1 Civil War)."

(The Living Room wall location of the rifles should answer any of the "is there a wife" comments as well.)

One last thing I would add here is a quote from the forum rules which I found to be interesting reading:

"Personal attacks: This is a forum of and for adults. Personal attacks and throwing insults at other members is not acceptable. Everyone also has access to the "edit" and "delete" functions for their own posts, so losing your temper is not an excuse.

Common Courtesy: Is expected of everyone. This is a very general rule but one that any adult shouldn't have trouble following. As a rule if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, then you should think twice before saying to them it over the Internet. Remember that everyone places different values on things and what's small and insignificant to you might be a big deal to another member.

A not so gentle reminder, particularly for those that seem to enjoy seeing how close they can get to the line and constantly push other peoples' buttons. Take that passive aggressive nonsense elsewhere and be an adult. "

Do you feel better?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    That was Dick Nixon ?? In reality that guy is funny , I hope he post again he probably is a nice guy . Hello OP welcome to the forum all the best to you , you do want to get a reliable alarm system to protect your stuff & get a safe or locker of some kind .

Just to be clear I like your fun post and your comebacks , you will fit in the madhouse just fine .

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

"Fred333, is that you? "

Wtf is that about?

Your part referencing me was taken the wrong way. You have been a member on here for 3 years. Logically you should know how we are, and also know what the lay of the land is. We are playful, rowdy, and we like to twist each others tails a bit. In 3 years, you should have seen that is how we are.

You also created a thread that was suspect to begin with and we called you out for it. Some more harshly than others, but to survive on here, you have to have a thicker skin. Everybody gets hazed on here at some point, it just how a community works. Once you are hazed, you either go off into the ether and never return, or you stick it out by manning up and look back at the incident and laugh. I remember my hazing with fondness on here and it made me a better member and I made a bunch of new friends. As a matter of fact, my hazing incident has turned into a long running joke for a few of us.

I find the hilarity in you quoting the forum rules about personal attacks, since you were the one that attacked a member for having over 20k posts. You were also the one that started the personal attacks, not us. We didn't lob any personal attacks against you. I also see that you haven't heeded the advice others and myself have given you. Especially the one about using the quote button, so people know who you are responding to.

Normally this is the point where I go straight for the jugular, but I'll play nice with you today, since it seems as if you are still upset about the highly offensive responses those fellow meanie head members posted in you thread. Tell you what, lets host a MDS meet up and we can all chip in to buy you some ice cream to show you we are sorry.

I'll even pony up for the first little bit:

Printable-Snowflake-Winter-Olympics-Stencil.jpg

Feel better now that we have made up and are all going to be pals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom