• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Had my first #QRP contact yesterday with EI0CL using #BuddiStick #FT818 SSB 6 watts 3,383 miles while on vacation from balcony in Nags Head, NC.
    be3f1a82a7a67051.jpg

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Nice! I'm looking forward to our NC trip to hit some different areas than I hear from home.
    Thanks, this was my first contact with this radio. Noise floor on 20M was S9+. 15M was S7 or so. This guy from Ireland was coming in at 9+ booming! He said he had a good copy on me, maybe 56-ish. He said he had a good antenna blasting 600w. Best SWR I could get on my antenna there for that band was 1:7 which means my PEP was somewhere around 3.52 watts. This was the highlight of my vacation.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Ham Exams Next Week

Tuesday, May 2, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers.

<snip>
    If you're interested in Amateur Radio ("ham"), would like to eventually get licensed, you have read through this thread and STILL don't know where to start: https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/
    Is there no testing in June? Should have looked sooner but was hoping to get my General test in before the pool changes.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Is there no testing in June? Should have looked sooner but was hoping to get my General test in before the pool changes.

AARC at the club in Davidsonville, Maryland

June 10, 12:15: testing. Upgrade to General or Amateur Extra. Also Technician exams are given for new hams. Preregistration is suggested. See https://www.w3vpr.org/register4test . The time shown is for check-ins and day of test registration. Testing begins at 1 pm.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    AARC at the club in Davidsonville, Maryland

June 10, 12:15: testing. Upgrade to General or Amateur Extra. Also Technician exams are given for new hams. Preregistration is suggested. See https://www.w3vpr.org/register4test . The time shown is for check-ins and day of test registration. Testing begins at 1 pm.
    Yes, AARC has exams in June. You might want to plan to conduct any exams there in July as well.

The venue used by MMARC is having work done and unavailable for the June date, and we are not doing July due to the 4th holiday being the same day we would would conduct exams, so the July date is also cancelled. MMARC's next exam date is the First Tuesday in August.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Yes, AARC has exams in June. You might want to plan to conduct any exams there in July as well.

The venue used by MMARC is having work done and unavailable for the June date, and we are not doing July due to the 4th holiday being the same day we would would conduct exams, so the July date is also cancelled. MMARC's next exam date is the First Tuesday in August.
    Thanks, i'm actually looking at Laurel for the 17th, but maybe i should go with the AARC on the 10th and can use the 17th as a backup. I was asking about MMARC since i was thinking of joining them.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks, i'm actually looking at Laurel for the 17th, but maybe i should go with the AARC on the 10th and can use the 17th as a backup. I was asking about MMARC since i was thinking of joining them.
    We would love to have you and would not hold it against you if you took your exams somewhere else, no matter how sketchy. :innocent0

You don't have to have a license to attend our meetings (Baldwin Hall, Millersville, 7:30pm second Friday of the month).

We are doing a small Amateur Radio demo table at Downs Park this Saturday, June 3, 12-4pm. I think they're just going to operate VHF/UHF due to antenna size vs available space. Can't recall what the over-lying event at the park that day is.

We are also operating in Downs Park for Field Day weekend, at the Youth Camping Area, June 24-25. I believe we'll have 3-4 HF rigs running. We encourage visitors and it's a great way to get a demo and possibly a little operating experience. I worked as a control operator and ran a rig with about 5 kids gathered around taking turns making contacts at one of our field day exercises. We're setting up Saturday morning, starting about 9am. I think the AA county emergency commo unit will be there with us Saturday evening, which is basically a big RV with built-in radios to work just about any frequency/mode there is - VERY impressive rig.

TICKS are ferocious and numerous at the park, especially in the grassy 'youth camping field', so be sure to use good repellent (DEET doesn't work well for ticks).

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    If anyone is interested in ham/amateur radio and is curious, field day is a great day to get started by seeing them in action. For folks that find Westminster convenient, the Carroll County Amateur Radio Club is doing their field day at:

Where: Door of Virtue lodge grass lot
    46 Monroe St, Westminster, MD 21157
    When: June 24 and 25th

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Wanted to note for folks that I’ve got a NIB GAP Titan DX for sale in classifieds. I’m getting to the point where the place I’m storing it is going to go away. It’s a solid choice and if anyone is interested in making an offer I’d listen. Would just like to see it get used.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Wanted to note for folks that I’ve got a NIB GAP Titan DX for sale in classifieds. I’m getting to the point where the place I’m storing it is going to go away. It’s a solid choice and if anyone is interested in making an offer I’d listen. Would just like to see it get used.
    Sent a message.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    We would love to have you and would not hold it against you if you took your exams somewhere else, no matter how sketchy. :innocent0

You don't have to have a license to attend our meetings (Baldwin Hall, Millersville, 7:30pm second Friday of the month).

We are doing a small Amateur Radio demo table at Downs Park this Saturday, June 3, 12-4pm. I think they're just going to operate VHF/UHF due to antenna size vs available space. Can't recall what the over-lying event at the park that day is.

We are also operating in Downs Park for Field Day weekend, at the Youth Camping Area, June 24-25. I believe we'll have 3-4 HF rigs running. We encourage visitors and it's a great way to get a demo and possibly a little operating experience. I worked as a control operator and ran a rig with about 5 kids gathered around taking turns making contacts at one of our field day exercises. We're setting up Saturday morning, starting about 9am. I think the AA county emergency commo unit will be there with us Saturday evening, which is basically a big RV with built-in radios to work just about any frequency/mode there is - VERY impressive rig.

TICKS are ferocious and numerous at the park, especially in the grassy 'youth camping field', so be sure to use good repellent (DEET doesn't work well for ticks).
    I should have said i have my Tech (a year now) and am going for General (Extra). I've never even made a contact yet.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I should have said i have my Tech (a year now) and am going for General (Extra). I've never even made a contact yet.
    Well sh*t...why don't you join us on our weekly round-table VHF net on 146.805 (107.2) at 7:30pm? Our repeater is on the water tower at the Millersville police/fire HQ and you'll have no issue with it from Severn. Or, send me a PM and we'll set up a QSO and get you off and running. I'm in Harmans and can reach you with an HT.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Well sh*t...why don't you join us on our weekly round-table VHF net on 146.805 (107.2) at 7:30pm? Our repeater is on the water tower at the Millersville police/fire HQ and you'll have no issue with it from Severn. Or, send me a PM and we'll set up a QSO and get you off and running. I'm in Harmans and can reach you with an HT.
    You got me searching the MMARC pages, when you didn't say what day for the round table. VERY SHREWED of you.

Check in to the Maryland Mobileers Monday Nights Roundtable Net at 7:30 PM on the Club's Repeater 146.805- with the Tone 107.2 in Millersville. We are also on EchoLink Node KA2JAI-R 90911. You don't have to be a member to participate. All hams are invited. Check in and bring a topic to discuss if you wish. It doesn't have to be a ham-related or technical topic.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You got me searching the MMARC pages, when you didn't say what day for the round table. VERY SHREWED of you.

Check in to the Maryland Mobileers Monday Nights Roundtable Net at 7:30 PM on the Club's Repeater 146.805- with the Tone 107.2 in Millersville. We are also on EchoLink Node KA2JAI-R 90911. You don't have to be a member to participate. All hams are invited. Check in and bring a topic to discuss if you wish. It doesn't have to be a ham-related or technical topic.
    Just "a happy little accident...".

Sorry I had forgotten to mention the net is on Mondays. There is also an ARES net on Sunday evenings on our repeater, but that is more businesslike and not much BSing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom