• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Some old and new threads popping up covering ham and gmrs. I'll post this here, the any gmrsers here, and any hams here threads. Maybe they should be combined to just 1 of each?

Two neat sites. First one will return both and and gmrs licenses if you enter one or the other. The second is a Google Maps based map of hams. Active or not, there are a lot of hams.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Spring Break Tech Class

Got this from a friend of a friend of a friend. Technician in a week (YMMV)

SPRING BREAK HAM RADIO CLASS!

Please feel free to tell your friends.

Get your Technician class license in a week!

March 27-30, 2023.
    FREE and taught via Zoom.
    Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m. - noon PDT

Email name, phone, and email for each attendee.
    ars.n7ji@gmail.com

I'm also a BSA Radio merit badge counselor, if that applies.

Scott N7JI

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Got this from the ARRL concerning the "HamTestOnline" website. I have never used it so I cannot give any feedback about it:

This is John, W1AI, the creator, owner, software developer,
    and coursemaster of HamTestOnline. I launched the HamTestOnlin
    website in August 2002, and I’ve spent the last 20 years helping tens of
    thousands of students pass the ham radio exams. While it's been a
    tremendous amount of work, it’s also been the most fun and personally
    rewarding portion of my career. However, I’m turning 68 this year, and I’m
    ready to retire. Therefore (unless I find a serious buyer), we will be
    shutting down the website effective June 30, 2023. I truly appreciate
    all the support and encouragement we've received from our loyal customers
    through the years!

If you are one of our eternal procrastinators, this is your last chance.
    As this newsletter goes out, we are selling 3-month website subscriptions.
    However, as the website shutdown date approaches, we will be selling shorter
    and shorter subscription terms, so that no subscription extends past June 30.

Three months is plenty of time for most students to get to Extra. In fact, our
    most successful students use concentrated study, cramming all of their studies
    into a few weeks. We've had hundreds of students go from zero to Extra in a
    single exam session after studying for 6 weeks or less. If you are willing to put
    in the effort, you still have time to get your Extra class license before this resource
    disappears forever!

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I have a new personal distance record. I made contact on 20m with 4X6TT Amir Bazak, 40 miles north of Tel Aviv. Roughly 5834 miles.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I really need to get a permanent antenna. After a week of having it up, I just took down my telescopic whip&coil (and 24x 16' radials) complete with small orange cones marking the circumference of the radials. While my wife wants to jump my bones when I put it up (in my dreams), it is a "sight" that has all kinds of folks asking what it is and when do the aliens arrive.

Now, I'm going through withdrawal and it's only been 1/2 hour.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hey, it's that time of the month again!! Don't miss out on the mood swings excitement!

Ham Exams Next Week

Tuesday, April 4, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers.

Walk-Ins are OK.
    Pre-registration is NOT required, but is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get here). We can process you when you arrive.

It DOES make things smoother for YOU if you have already gone to the FCC site, registered there and have been issued an "FRN" (Federal Registration Number). The FRN is used in reporting your successful exam results to the FCC. ( https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn )

EXAM Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the exams are given FREE.

The FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Side note:
    If you're interested in Amateur Radio ("ham"), would like to eventually get licensed, have read through this thread and STILL don't know where to start: https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The Carroll County Amateur Radio Club is helping the estate of a Silent Key. The SK had amassed thousands of military fiberglass masts and the club is selling them on behalf of the estate. You do NOT need a google account to complete the form.

I have recently been given the OK to move forward with the sale of the 4' FIberglass poles! Attached is a form to fill out letting me know who is interested. If you have any questions, please let me know
    SK Estate Sale: Fiberglass Poles (4 ft. Military Masts, Used)
    A significant quantity of used military 4' green fiberglass poles has become available to the Ham Radio Community. These poles have been stored outdoors in the elements so they are dirty, however they appear to be in good shape.

They are offered as follows:
    Full Bags ($60): 24 fiberglass poles in an original military heavy vinyl bag.
    Half Bags($35): 12 fiberglass poles in an original military heavy vinyl bag.
    Individual Poles ($3/each): 1 fiberglass pole, no bag.
    Bulk Poles (negotiable): Large quantity (500+)
    3 Arm Spreaders ($1): Initially used at the top of the mast to prevent poles from tearing through camo netting, Can be used to make guy wire guides / rings.
    Mast Base ($15): Limited number of 12" (approx) round base to help stabilize post.

Initially, two pick up dates will be Saturday APRIL 15, 2023 and Saturday APRIL 22, 2023 between 0900 and 1500. Pickup location will be in FINKSBURG, MD (about 6 miles east of Westminster, MD). If you are unable to make these dates, additional pick up arrangement may be made. Poles will NOT be shipped to any location.

Payment: Cash is preferred, however Venmo / Credit Card may be available at pickup time (will be determined closer to pickup date).

There is NO LIMIT to the number of bags / poles you can purchase. Feel free to purchase lots and resell at Ham Fests!

Questions? Contact:
    John Stephens / KC3FDL
    KC3FDL at GMAIL.COM

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The Carroll County Amateur Radio Club is helping the estate of a Silent Key. The SK had amassed thousands of military fiberglass masts and the club is selling them on behalf of the estate. You do NOT need a google account to complete the form.

I have recently been given the OK to move forward with the sale of the 4' FIberglass poles! Attached is a form to fill out letting me know who is interested. If you have any questions, please let me know
    SK Estate Sale: Fiberglass Poles (4 ft. Military Masts, Used)
    A significant quantity of used military 4' green fiberglass poles has become available to the Ham Radio Community. These poles have been stored outdoors in the elements so they are dirty, however they appear to be in good shape.

They are offered as follows:
    Full Bags ($60): 24 fiberglass poles in an original military heavy vinyl bag.
    Half Bags($35): 12 fiberglass poles in an original military heavy vinyl bag.
    Individual Poles ($3/each): 1 fiberglass pole, no bag.
    Bulk Poles (negotiable): Large quantity (500+)
    3 Arm Spreaders ($1): Initially used at the top of the mast to prevent poles from tearing through camo netting, Can be used to make guy wire guides / rings.
    Mast Base ($15): Limited number of 12" (approx) round base to help stabilize post.

Initially, two pick up dates will be Saturday APRIL 15, 2023 and Saturday APRIL 22, 2023 between 0900 and 1500. Pickup location will be in FINKSBURG, MD (about 6 miles east of Westminster, MD). If you are unable to make these dates, additional pick up arrangement may be made. Poles will NOT be shipped to any location.

Payment: Cash is preferred, however Venmo / Credit Card may be available at pickup time (will be determined closer to pickup date).

There is NO LIMIT to the number of bags / poles you can purchase. Feel free to purchase lots and resell at Ham Fests!

Questions? Contact:
    John Stephens / KC3FDL
    KC3FDL at GMAIL.COM
    Bump.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    My home setup is "portable" (battery-powered Yaesu FT-891 and a Wolf River Coil Sporty 40 with the coax going out my office window to the front yard as needed). I use a beach towel doubled-over on one end to cushion the cable and fill the gap when the window is gently closed. Normally I put out 16 ground radials about 16-feet long each, bundled in 4s with banana jacks that go into battery terminal clamps that I clamp to the ground/legs of the mount. Takes about 8 to 10 minutes to set up, spreading the radials evenly. Note - after watching a DX Commander video on the subject, it seems they don't NEED to be evenly space around, but it's not as efficient if they aren't.

I watched the below video yesterday and bought a 36"x84" aluminum screen mesh from Home Depot today and tested it. Purely subjective, but I think I'm getting better performance with the mesh. There are several variables including ground moisture, but the SWR is actually lower with the mesh on this first day. Set-up was a breeze and took far less time. I'm definitely going to play with it more. My only immediate concern is keeping the mesh from splitting. I roll it up loosely, so that should help. Crappy photo taken tonight with no moon and using a flashlight.

IMG_2684.JPG

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ham Exams Next Week

Tuesday, May 2, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers.

Walk-Ins are welcome.

Pre-registration is NOT required, but is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get here). We can process you when you arrive.

It DOES make things smoother for YOU if you have already gone to the FCC site, registered there and have been issued an "FRN" (Federal Registration Number). The FRN is used in reporting your successful exam results to the FCC. ( https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn )

EXAM Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the exams are given FREE.

The FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Side note:
    If you're interested in Amateur Radio ("ham"), would like to eventually get licensed, you have read through this thread and STILL don't know where to start: https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Today I finally dialed in 10 Meters on my BuddiStick. A combination of: radial length, clip location, collapsing first section of the antenna whip and beer got me to 1:1.1 SWR. Now I need to do the same thing for the other bands I want to use this on: 15, 17, 20 and 40.

Attachments

• buddi-stick-10M-swr-small.jpg
      buddi-stick-10M-swr-small.jpg
      333.7 KB · Views: 63

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    While trolling through an archive drive looking for some old product images from another project, I came across a folder with some shots my silver-working wife had me take as we shipped a custom bracelet out to my (now late) ham uncle. A niche item if ever there was one!

2023-05-03_morse_code_bracelet.jpg

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Bought a new Putikeeg paddle today with steel base. Key is aluminum. Much better than my cwmorse.us paddle made of 3d printed plastic. feels better and base sticks to steel plate real good.

Attachments

• putike-cw-paddle-sm.2023-05-03.jpg
      putike-cw-paddle-sm.2023-05-03.jpg
      372.7 KB · Views: 66

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    As of 3 May amateurs are required to perform exposure calculations for their stations. No longer are there exemptions based on power.

Info:

Calculator:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Just watched this video on it. Explains it well, I went & plugged in the parameters for my shack, saw the results are in acceptable limits, printed them out in case the FCC comes snooping, now I'm good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom