• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This is the reality of mail order firearms purchases. You don't get to see what you're buying. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. When you lose, you just have to eat the shipping, restocking, etc. fee. Mail order collecting involves some risk. If you aren't willing to take that risk, then you shouldn't buy guns by mail order.

See, I don't actually agree with that. The reason being that virtually everyone other than Classic (since Ben bought them out) takes their weapons and grades them accordingly, splitting them out into different SKUs at different price levels accordingly. Classic grades everything based on the best example they can find and because they found a few "excellent" examples in the pile, they apply that grading to everything, even non-excellent or even "poor" examples. There's still risk involved as there always is, but it's a more realistic risk. If they did the honest thing, they'd have a much better reputation.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    See, I don't actually agree with that. The reason being that virtually everyone other than Classic (since Ben bought them out) takes their weapons and grades them accordingly, splitting them out into different SKUs at different price levels accordingly. Classic grades everything based on the best example they can find and because they found a few "excellent" examples in the pile, they apply that grading to everything, even non-excellent or even "poor" examples. There's still risk involved as there always is, but it's a more realistic risk. If they did the honest thing, they'd have a much better reputation.

I am no fan of Classic or Sweaty Ben.

That said, they are nevertheless a mail order Business. I don’t think it is reasonable to expect that they will go through the crates of firearms they have and inspect each one to ensure that their overall grading assessment is accurate in every case. That’s why they offer returns, and sometimes when you take a chance you just have to eat the shipping to send it back.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I am no fan of Classic or Sweaty Ben.

That said, they are nevertheless a mail order Business. I don’t think it is reasonable to expect that they will go through the crates of firearms they have and inspect each one to ensure that their overall grading assessment is accurate in every case. That’s why they offer returns, and sometimes when you take a chance you just have to eat the shipping to send it back.

Screwed up an order and the multiple attempted fixes and lied a couple of times during it a few years back. No second chance after that.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Same. I got a box after the initial reports. Hoping it pans out, shipment-wide.

Got my ammo today. Most of it is in very good shape, with just a few rounds having some light surface oxidation. All of it is Mk VIII made in 1941 at ROF Spennymoor SAA (ROF 21).

d5a451edee83538e0e68d8b84abeb632.jpg

fb1e147198a45c40f3acc1f8ac8b06b1.jpg

f19472b524a800422468717d6c910e93.jpg

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    “Surplus fair condition.” Man, I think that’s a lot to pay for a K11 in fair condition.

I wish I could remember the exact price at which they were being offered, but Century just had a bunch in VG condition. I want to say they were right around $400 or maybe a tad lower.

Classic's prices have definitely jumped. They now are listing the good to very good condition K11 carbines as being in stock for $500 ...

https://www.classicfirearms.com/swiss-k11-carbine-straight-pull-rifle-g-vg-7555

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Jul 1, 2012
    Right - their listing says the guns are from all over the production years and they can't (won't) sort out which is C&R and which isn't.
    Note the one pictured has a badly warped left grip :)
    Also curious where the import mark is located... maybe those are "before" pics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom