• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Question for the C&R Brain Trust.

On the Colt Pre-Woodsman autos (officially the Colt Automatic Pistol, .22 Target model), will these take pre-war Woodsman magazines, 1st series? I'm pretty sure they won't take later Woodsman or Huntsman magazines, but before I put in an order I wanted to try and confirm that the 1915-1945 mags will work in them.

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
    Where are you ordering from?

"Pre-Woodsman" just means it was prior to the name Woodsman being stamped on it (1927-ish).

"The 1st Series Woodsmans were made from 1915 until 1947. These include the Pre-Woodsman guns ..."

I think there were some minor changes in the magazines (follower design) but any Series I should work.... in theory.
    Disclaimer - I don't have a "pre-woodsman" to verify this myself :)
    If it's an aftermarket magazine you may need to massage it.

Series II and III (post-WW2) definitely won't work.

mag guide:
    http://www.colt22.com/wmmagazine.html

some cool pics of early Woodmans (Woodsmen?)
    http://www.coltautos.com/woodsmans/1Series/WoodsmanFirstSeriesci.htm

Jul 1, 2012
    Figured TripleK was where you were looking :)
    Some of their stuff is good; some is pretty, um, not good.
    I've had no issues with their Colt 1900/1902/1903 Pocket Hammer mags, I use them to avoid damage to the valuable originals.
    I've only used Colt mags in the Woodsmen.

From calgun:
    "For my pre-Woodsman, I have2 COLT magazines one a two tone and the other not....both 100% reliable, the Triple K mag is fair to good at best. functions well 90% of the time. If Triple K is all you can get live with them until you find a few real Colt magazines."

"I have a pre war Colt Woodsman and one magazine. Original magazines go for $100 or more on Gunbroker so when I saw Triple K sells a repro magazine for this model I bought one for $33 plus tax. it was loose in the magazine well and the profile of the magazine body is slightly off from the original Colt magazine but I hoped it would feed anyway. It didn't. About every 3rd round would jam going into the chamber. Hoping it would work in I kept at it until about the 20th round I heard a bang-pop and my hand was wreathed in smoke. The round feeding into the chamber apparently had gotten cock-eyed and the slide edge hit the rim and set it off before it was fully chambered plus the top round in the magazine detonated when the chambering round let go. Damage is a cracked right grip and the extractor and plunger got popped out of the slide. Fortunately I found all of the extractor assembly laying on the table and didn't lose them. Pissed me off mightly."

Like I said, it may need some massaging and a helping of luck on the side :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    All my problems with aftermarket .22 pistol mags have centered around the feed lips and their not being rigid enough to hold the correct shape. BTW, ditto for my P08 Luger which has a similar steep angle and stiff spring. There's a reason why the Colt two tone mags exist and it's to make sure the feed lips won't deform like you see in aftermarket mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom