• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Found this 1886/93 Lebel up on Gunbroker just hours after it listed and the BIN price was soooo low I couldn't say no to it. Seller thought the cartridge lifter was broken but it was what I thought: the cutoff was engaged, locking the lifter in the up position.
    -The downside is that the left side of the receiver has been scrubbed, removing all the markings. Odd in my eyes as the rest of the receiver shows little pitting, just a thin finish. So I start wondering if there was another reason for this? Immediately I think of my scrubbed Polish Wz 29 Carbine, exported to Spain for the SCW. The Poles also sent Berthiers and Lebels to the Republican forces in Spain. So, could this be an ex Polish, SCW survivor? Would certainly make for a better story vs Bubba refinished!
    -Anyway, she was refurbished at some point as the balle N marked barrel is a replacement (note no manuf code or date on the right side of the barrel shank as normally found on an original factory barrel). Everything but the bolt matches, not uncommon with arsenal reworks.
    -No import marks so an older import or bring-back. A good chance I'll never know the back story to this one.

Attachments

• IMGP8403.JPG
      IMGP8403.JPG
      29.9 KB · Views: 205
    • IMGP8398.JPG
      IMGP8398.JPG
      25.2 KB · Views: 165
    • IMGP8399.JPG
      IMGP8399.JPG
      71.5 KB · Views: 151
    • IMGP8401.JPG
      IMGP8401.JPG
      36.9 KB · Views: 164
    • IMGP8413.JPG
      IMGP8413.JPG
      80.8 KB · Views: 157
    • IMGP8404.JPG
      IMGP8404.JPG
      46.4 KB · Views: 158
    • IMGP8400.JPG
      IMGP8400.JPG
      31.5 KB · Views: 156
    • IMGP8411.JPG
      IMGP8411.JPG
      41.5 KB · Views: 151

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Looks like too nice of a scrub job on the left side of the receiver to be a Bubba job. I don't see Bubba spending the money it would take to refinish it professionally without it being cut down to be a deer rifle or whatnot either. My inclination is that it's a SCW or something of a similar history. Nice pick-up!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Awesome Lebel! The scrubbing certainly is interesting. Too bad it can’t talk.

I love mine, but the “N” chamber doesn’t make it very easy on brass when I shoot it. Reloading it is pretty much a neck sizing only venture.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm lucky to have that USTF Lebel that's got the original barrel from 1904. Since it was built for civilian use it never got the Balle N mod (civilians don't need to shoot MG ammo!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom