Anyone know where to get a free ABS light code scan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Called a few auto parts stores and they have OBD only.
    If it is Ford truck, chances are good that it is broken tone ring on one of your front axles. The new tone ring is about $10 but it will take a couple of hours to remove the axle. You can check by inspecting and seeing if you can rotate the tone ring on the axle. A broken tone ring will also make a AWD go bananas so you may see some other issues on the display.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    try auto zone

Thanks. They were some of the first places I called along with Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, etc. Half of the people who answered the phone had accents so thick I couldn't understand them. The other half couldn't understand what I was asking so I'm guessing most of them will be a no-go.

If it is Ford truck, chances are good that it is broken tone ring on one of your front axles. The new tone ring is about $10 but it will take a couple of hours to remove the axle. You can check by inspecting and seeing if you can rotate the tone ring on the axle. A broken tone ring will also make a AWD go bananas so you may see some other issues on the display.

It's Third-Gen Explorer so from what I've read it's either one of the following:
    -Pressure Switch on Master Clyinder
    -Rear ABS sensor needs to be replaced
    -Front Wheel Hub issues

I was just hoping it was an easy fix but don't have time to do much digging since I'm going out of town in a few days. Was just hoping to order the right part before I left.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Thanks. They were some of the first places I called along with Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, etc. Half of the people who answered the phone had accents so thick I couldn't understand them. The other half couldn't understand what I was asking so I'm guessing most of them will be a no-go.

It's Third-Gen Explorer so from what I've read it's either one of the following:
    -Pressure Switch on Master Clyinder
    -Rear ABS sensor needs to be replaced
    -Front Wheel Hub issues

I was just hoping it was an easy fix but don't have time to do much digging since I'm going out of town in a few days. Was just hoping to order the right part before I left.
    Check the tone rings first. It it spins, it is broken. I have replaced three of those on my Escape. The axle rusts and expands breaking the tone ring. You can do it yourself if you have a breaker bar or impact wrench to remove the axle nut. There are some videos on YouTube. Some owners have had success by gluing them back onto the axle. Some Ford dealers will try to sell you a new half axle instead of fixing the tone ring.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Funnily enough, I had ordered a bluetooth ODB adapter to play around with (ELM327) and I downloaded a bunch of apps on my iphone and a bunch on my samsung that purported to read ABS codes. None of the iphone apps could even connect to the adapter. But two of the Android ones did and they gave me what are supposedly the ABS error codes. I suspect they're correct because they're exactly what I hoped and expected (relatively quick and easy fixes).

If anyone is curious, the apps that worked were ForScan (Android Demo Version) and FordSys (Free). Both Ford specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom