• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Who here has much experience playing with these?

I am thinking of getting one 10mm and one 9mm. I just haven't seen many around.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Who here has much experience playing with these?

I am thinking of getting one 10mm and one 9mm. I just haven't seen many around.

You may be able to buy the pistol...

BUT Magazines are limited to 10 rounds in Merry-Land so what's the point...

Chances of finding double stack mags in a nearby State are slim to none...

And you can't have them shipped to you...

You'd be better off with a Glock 17 or 19 where you could find hi cap mags in Pennsylvania Gun Shops...

It's all about availability...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have two, a Para in 40 and an RIA in 9mm. I've beat the crap out of that Para (one of my competition pistols) and it's still working. The RIA is working great with Remington RP9 magazines, which were about $16 a pop. Just an FYI, nobody makes a double-stack 1911 with a skinnier grip, they're all full sized. There are a few people who work on the RIA, getting the trigger better and a few other things competition people worry about. I had my Para worked on by a local gunsmith, it's just about as smooth as an SVI and it takes less expensive magazines. I believe a few shops on my side of the river would be happy to get you magazines for any of these firearms. You just have to pick them up over here.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Had my eye on the double stack Tac ultra HC in 9mm since last year and opted for the single stack in 9mm/22TCM for now..
    I plan on getting it next year but waiting to see what RIA releases at Shot show coming up.
    The double stack in 9mm says it holds 17+1 but many state it actually holds 18+1 and after holding it for the first time a couple months ago felt good in my large hands

Attachments

• 19208F89-13C1-4969-A1EF-A5B9533C1F24.jpg
      19208F89-13C1-4969-A1EF-A5B9533C1F24.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 746

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have a Para Ordnance P 14, that I bought used, that a completive shooter had used, that he had tuned by someone.
    It runs great and have not had any issues with it.
    I just bought a Stainless Steel P 12 yesterday, to add to my collection.
    I don't think that they are any fatter in the grip than most double stack plastic framed handguns and they are only about 1/8" fatter than a standard 1911.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hit a uspsa or 3 gun match and you'll see a ton of 9mm (and .40) doublestack 1911's, mostly STI 2011's such as Edge, Eagle, Tactical, Marauder, DVC and the like. very widely used in the competition world. STI also makes at least one doublestack in 10mm.

just got an email the other day saying remington was coming out with double stack 1911 versions.

the STI 2011's are awesome, 1911 ergos and trigger, with all that extra capacity. and they're really not much wider than 1911's so it's win-win.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You may be able to buy the pistol...

BUT Magazines are limited to 10 rounds in Merry-Land so what's the point...

Chances of finding double stack mags in a nearby State are slim to none...

And you can't have them shipped to you...

You'd be better off with a Glock 17 or 19 where you could find hi cap mags in Pennsylvania Gun Shops...

It's all about availability...

You can easily find mags at the Dulles gun show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I've carried an old Para P-14 for years, I'm rather fond of it.

I've got a Para P-14 as well, it might be my favorite handgun. Accurate and reliable.
    Bought it when they first came out.
    If I were to buy one now I'd probably look into STI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    There is a vender at the Dulles Expo show that usually has a lot of Para Ordnance mags for sale at a decent prices. I think that they are mostly mags pulled from guns sold in >10 round restricted states. He is usually located in the main hall, about 3 or 4 rows in from the right side wall, 2/3s of the way back. He has mags for just about every gun made.

Last edited:

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I am not interested in a Glock. Thanks though.

I want a double stack 9mm or 10mm. Thanks for the guidance for those who replied with their experience with double stacks.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    We are an STI dealer and can help you out with all your double stack needs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Years back I had 3 Para’s, a 16-40, a 14-45, and a 14-45 Limited. I sold the first two and kept the Limited and shot it for a few years. Used it in the Master’s Tournament. I did a trigger job on it and installed a Group Gripper in it since Para’s match grade barrel was not close to match. It shot well and was reliable. Sold it when I became unenamored with double stacks. I have been looking at the Remington double stacks since the pistol fit to the hand is so much better than the Glock.

Last edited:

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Magnumite good to hear from you and I do value your input since you have ben sleeping and eating 1911s for a long time.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have an Israeli Bul M-5 double stack 1911 in 9x23mm uses modified Pare 18-9 mags they hold 18 rounds minimum of 9x23mm. Trying to add the barrel and slide so I can use it as a 16-40 also. Modified Para 16-40 slide with Bul .40S&W barrel. Also has a small factory magwell. Still needs some slide work and parts. Have not shot it much in years but it has a better trigger than my $4k STI open racegun. Was an ex-IPSC L10 racegun out of the Israeli Bul Custom Shop.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    My old Para P-14 45acp was a work horse in IDPA. 40 or 50k rounds through it. 5 or so malfunctions that I can remember (and a few of those were my failure to seat the magazine). It just ran.
    My 9mm double-stack Para is another story. Seat the magazine with any real force (like in a competition), and it pushes the top round up out of the magazine just enough to cause frequent FTFs. And, all mag lips are within spec. It runs fine at the range plinking when you're not slamming a magazine home, and is a fun gun to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom