• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Its time to get the law involved.First they trespass onto your property now the neighbors.They seem to think they are SOOO right that the law be damned.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d have a discussion with DNR and/or police about it (possibly a NRP officer). Both about what can be done and possibly for them to have a talk with this neighbor.

I’d also setup some trail cams out of reach to catch the neighbor. Point them towards tree stands. If they’ve been warned not to trespass, especially if posted also, probably a decent chance police would give them a citation next time, if not criminal trespass charges.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    In the latest incident there isnt much I can do. Its not my property and the hunter declined to press charges and was happy to get his gear back. Im running cams back there but my stands are not locked down. I had no intention of getting up early for the gun opener. That is going to change now.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Have you had issues in the past? Or is this a relatively new thing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What Doco said.

This is getting goofy. The horses are not in any more danger than a person really, unless they get loose but that’s kinda rare. Others as well as myself have mentioned contacting DNR and now it may also be best to talk to the local police if only to be the first to make that contact. We have many times had hunters place stands out of their jurisdiction but always from not actually knowing the property line and I believe on the property line is still fine.
    I don’t hunt but must say there are too many deer .... get out there and eat these damn things!

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Have you had issues in the past? Or is this a relatively new thing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nope this is new other than a few years ago a friend was hunting my place opening day gun and the farm manager walked on property to day hi to my hunter/friend and myself after a morning hunt while buddy was still hunting. So there is definitely some kind of hangup. If they dont want neighbors they can write a really big check and have at it. I was up early for morning shift and crashed. Not a fan of people just walking in to a hunting setup while someone orange is in a tree.

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Wow, a lot of "triggered" responses, I stopped after page 3 fwiw...

Is one not allowed to comment if only part of a thread is read? I did not see that in the rules. My bad.
    Yeah, I hate "triggered responses" (just like this one...)

If I had a neighbor that started acting like many on here suggest, I would make it my personal mission to make their life as difficult as you are going out of your way to make mine.
    Looks like your post just nominated you to the "one of the many on here" club...

Gutpile, one thing to keep in mind when dealing with all of this: "English Horse Lady".

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Gutpile, one thing to keep in mind when dealing with all of this: "English Horse Lady".

Im sure it has everything to do with the mentality. Have had no contact since the initial exchange and a bonus buck stamp to use. Once that is done i might just sit our there to enjoy my tree stands and shoot squirrels .

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Having seen a case of a cow getting shot and a goat almost getting shot, I can understand that some new property owners may have reservations about hunters nearby, especially if they are not familiar at all with hunting or the tools used for harvesting.

Explain it to them like it was farming. Harvest time is healthy for the environment and the animals.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I know, I was urging communication and cooperation before, but this latest occurrence changes the parameters now .

This is now beyond somthing that can be resolved person to person . You need to reach out the DNR . Yes , DNR, not the PD. A DNR rep will have the perception of being an authority on Hunting rules and regulations moreso than a "regular" agency .

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would highly doubt the farm manager would’ve done that without specific instructions from someone higher up. I doubt he would take the chance of trespassing and theft on his own. Maybe time for more “no trespassing” signs to be put up an everything documented. Then tell the DNR for the record.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    DNR takes this seriously. Interfering with a lawful hunt is illegal. I won’t even go into the property issues.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Agree with calling dnr. This needs to stoo before they do something that hurts a hunter.

Other hunter is worried it would jeopardize his permission if he starts having the law get in there. Remember he isnt the land owner in this situation/Happy he got his stuff back. Not sure what they would do anyway If I called it in since its not my property in this case. So far I've not had any intrusions on my side (Clarify - since the original tresspass expedition) and I have good cam coverage. If I get a few too many in me I might send her a shitmail reminder her how lucky she is to not have theft charges being filed. Possibly felony theft. It was two millenniums and 2 sets of hawk climbing sticks. Enough to get your to 25+ ft in 2 trees. Pretty sure its still theft even if you recover the property.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Took a turn for the weird. Neighboring property is hunted by another group that has permission from the land owners and i give them permission on my property. They also butt up to horse farmer’s now empty crop fields. They went in yesterday and 2 really nice hangons and climbing sticks were gone with tracks leading to the farm. Speculated that the farm manager decided to help himself. The farmer denied knowing anything when the hunter confronted them. Then a few hours later the farm manager (guilt?worried about charges) dropped the stands off. Excuse that he thought they were on the farm’s land. They werent. So now they are trespassing onto other neighbors and stealing/taking down tree stands. Personally i would have filed charges. He is trying to diffuse things since he isn't the land owner and only has permission. So time to lock my stuff down.

The fact that the stuff was returned means the landowner made him do it. I would leave things alone and let it be. The landowner, who I believe is the horse farm owner, is trying to keep things civil. Once law enforcement gets involved, then everybody gets bitter.

Then again, you are in a better position to figure out exactly what is going on and what everybody's demeanor is.

Good luck with this drama.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would highly doubt the farm manager would’ve done that without specific instructions from someone higher up. I doubt he would take the chance of trespassing and theft on his own. Maybe time for more “no trespassing” signs to be put up an everything documented. Then tell the DNR for the record.

And you think he would have returned the stuff on his own after being instructed to steal the stuff.

So much speculation. Then, who knows exactly who took it in the first place. Could have been the horse farm owner that took it, and then the manager felt bad and returned it. Could have been the manager that took it and was instructed by the horse farm owner to put it back. Could have been another employee, a fellow hunter that saw an "opportunity" take it and the farm manager put it back.

The speculation could go on forever, along with the drama.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I threw back a few too many IPAs and sent this out to the farm owner:

"Just a reminder DNR and local law enforcement take this kind of stuff very seriously. Two millennium hangons and a set of hawk climbing sticks is very close to felony theft threshold. Knock it off. Nobody is hunting your property or your horses. I’ve seen their setup before and they are completely within the letter and spirit of the law setup on the side of the line they have signed permission for."

The response was "We have nothing to do with the theft of the property mentioned, and would be grateful if you would not make unfounded accusations.

I have spoken to the gentleman who owned the tree stands and he understands that fact.
    Thank you"

Ok. Why did your manager take the time/risk an injury liability situation to take down 2 tree stand setups and then return with them? Being a jack ass I couldn't help myself and responded with that information.

Hopefully this is the end of it now that they realized they were just let off the hook on what could have been some expensive charges.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    And you think he would have returned the stuff on his own after being instructed to steal the stuff.

So much speculation. Then, who knows exactly who took it in the first place. Could have been the horse farm owner that took it, and then the manager felt bad and returned it. Could have been the manager that took it and was instructed by the horse farm owner to put it back. Could have been another employee, a fellow hunter that saw an "opportunity" take it and the farm manager put it back.

The speculation could go on forever, along with the drama.

Nah the farm manager admitted in person that he did it and was told to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom