• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    I am looking to build a dmr/ mid range shooter using my poly m308 aka m14 clone. I had a few questions regarding my scope choice. After doing some research I am leaning towards the nikon monarch M5 4-16x42 or the M tactical 308 4-16x42. With that said one of my questions is other than the turrents and retical what is the difference between the two? Question 2, is the monarch worth the extra $200 when compared to a similar prostaff. Last question and iknow this question is very subjective, but based on your experience is there a better option in the sub 500 range? Thanks guys and gals

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Check out the SWFA Super Sniper, one of the best buys in that price range.

If you go Nikon get the Monach, I think its worth the extra money.

You didn't say what range you're looking to do but inexpensive glass often doesn't end up saving one much money when balanced with possible frustration due to lack of performance and range trips which don't turn out well.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    No experience with the Monarch, but I can vouch for the M308. On my DPMS LR-SASS it’s been good to 500. Haven’t gone past that yet, but really shines btw 100-200 at my home range. Had it at Delmarva to 300 & 500 once, didn’t skip a beat. Not quite bolt gun great, but that’s most likely the gun and doubtfully the scope. It’s no $3,000 Nightforce or Vortex Razor HD, but for the price I think the glass is just fine. I will say, I haven’t shot it in low-light yet, so I can’t speak towards that, plus I do wish it had an illuminated reticle. Overall I recommend it, especially at the price point.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Max i would go to is 600yards. Do you know if the m 308 tactical is the same as a regular monarch?

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Bass pro has a vortex viper pst gen II ffp 3-15x44 for $650. Is it better than the monarch and worth the extra $150?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Have you looked at the Nikon Black X1000 scopes? Also, what mount are you planning to use?

Q

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Bass pro has a vortex viper pst gen II ffp 3-15x44 for $650. Is it better than the monarch and worth the extra $150?
    Concur with Rbird7282, the Vortex GII is a great scope. Very big with long range shooters. And $650 instead of $900? I’m all scoped-out at the moment, or I’d definitely pull the trigger on that deal. For that price point too, Qbeam had a good suggestion as well with the Nikon FX1000. I just put one on my M1A Loaded 6.5 CM. I haven’t shot it yet but dry firing out the back door into the cornfield I really like the glass and the reticle, and I’ve done the tracking tests on the turrets and they track true as can be. My eyes can’t tell the difference in the glass clarity between the Vortex and the FX1000 until the absolute upper-end magnification, where I think the Vortex has the slight edge (truth be told my eyesight isn’t that great though).

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    I haven't gotten to the mounts yet. I figure I would cross that bridge once I find a scope. I got hands on the vortex and I did not like the picture as much as I did the monarch. I saw the x1000 but I didnt research them like I did the monarch. Are they just as good or better than a monarch?

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    My fx1000 is not better than my pst imo. The CA is definitely worse on the fx1000 otherwise it is a good scope.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Pulled the trigger and bought the x1000 8-24. I dont like the 50mm bell but for $406 shipped I couldnt resist. Thanks for the hell guys.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Dang 20 min to late, Hope you wind up happy with the purchase. I've also been in the market for a mid range (price and distance scope for a DPMS LR/10 build recently completed.
    I just purchased the scope in the link below at a great price from Midway. Had my eye on these for a while, but couldn't resist for 50% off!!
    Great reviews on these especially the 2.5-15 30mm tube version. Good clarity up to max power & good exit pupil (not to picky on eye box).

They only have 1 left.

Athlon Optics Ares BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-15x 50mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Side Focus First Focal Illuminated APLR3 MIL Reticle Matte

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101881613?pid=577715

Last edited:

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Seems like a nice piece of glass and for a good price. I was debating on first or second focal plane but decided to just go with a second. Let me know how you like the optic tho.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    I know this is above your price range, but, if you are going to drop $950 on a scope, I recently purchased on of the new Sig Suaer scopes and it is the greatest scope I have ever purchased, including a $1200 big name scope I purchased earlier (I cannot remember the brand). The clarity at top magnification is incredible and I can actually see better with lower magnification than I do with my more powerful magnification scopes.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    How is the turret on this scope? When you turn it, can you hear the click sound? Or it is muted like some youtube review showed?

Dang 20 min to late, Hope you wind up happy with the purchase. I've also been in the market for a mid range (price and distance scope for a DPMS LR/10 build recently completed.
    I just purchased the scope in the link below at a great price from Midway. Had my eye on these for a while, but couldn't resist for 50% off!!
    Great reviews on these especially the 2.5-15 30mm tube version. Good clarity up to max power & good exit pupil (not to picky on eye box).

They only have 1 left.

Athlon Optics Ares BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-15x 50mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Side Focus First Focal Illuminated APLR3 MIL Reticle Matte

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101881613?pid=577715

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Sorry for the late reply, but the turrets are audible and feel really nice. If by some chance you dont hear the click you will most certainly feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom